University Arms Cambridge
$180
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$126
$281
$235
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$113
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
$154
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 11, 2013

A disappointing stay - booked online - unfortunately I was seduced by the old world charm of the web photos - greeted by a surly front desk attendant who reluctantly gave me a very poor Cambridge map - when I asked how to locate a museum I was visiting it was as if I was asking my 100th question of the day - so fed up was her response - the decor of the room was quite shabby - chipped enamel in the bathroom / tatty wallpaper and paint /no fridge and air con / broken security latch on door / stained shower curtain / ugly curtains - rat a tat tat - really in need of a makeover

The good things - huge comfy bed and the outlook onto Parkers Piece was lovely - and very well located for sightseeing
I did hear that the hotel is on the verge of being renovated - I would wait until then - and hope that the rates do not go up - already too expensive for what you are getting

Room Tip: View of Parkers Piece
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Papindi
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Papinpi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review following your stay at the University Arms.

I am concerned to read your notes regarding the indifferent service you received from our front desk staff. This most certainly is not conducive of our front desk's team usual exceptionally high standards of service delivery. I was also disappointed to learn that you were not entirely happy with the overall bedroom standard. However, I am grateful for the opportunity to point out that you are indeed correct, a refurbish programme is already underway. The latest set of plans, have already been submitted and we are waiting final approval before the commencement of these works.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the 'huge comfy bed' and views across Parker's piece and our central location.

You did infer in your review that our charges did not reflect value for money. I would like to point out that we regularly conduct price comparison research to ensure our tariffs are in line with the current market.

Thank you agian for yourreview.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Before the University Arms Hotel in Cambridge, I had stayed at only two placed that totally overwhelmed me with how wonderful they were. Now, I have three. First, let me explain that the beautiful photos of the hotel are a little misleading -- at first. They are taken from the side of the building so when you pull up in your cab from the train station, you are immediately concerned that you have the wrong hotel. It looks like any other hotel. But, when you go into the lobby or step to the side of the building, that fantasy of staying at a castle comes to life.

Our room was a family room located on the side that overlooks the green areas. We were probably peering through one of those beautiful French door rooms shown on the website. We saw people playing cricket and relaxing on the green area. We could hear people on the streets to our left. We could smell all the wonderful restaurant smells. It was fantastic.

Our room was huge and comprised of a queen bed and two twin beds -- each totally outfitted with luxurious down comforters and mattress covers. We literally melted into them. The linens were perfect -- even down to robes and slippers for everyone. Our counter top featured not only coffee and tea but also wonderful cookies and hot chocolate. Since we had booked a family room, the hotel had assumed we had small children, so they had provided activity packages and stuffed bears for them. Ironically, my children are teenagers. The beds were perfect for them.

The bathroom was the most modern we had found in any European hotel. I enjoyed a long bubblebath in a roomy situation. That was nice. And, we had extensive wardrobes and drawers as well as a nice-sized flatscreen television with satellite or cable.

The hotel is located on the opposite side of the town from the colleges, but we go to them easily within 10 minutes. We found two shopping areas with mall-type stores right down the street which led us to the open air market and across to the colleges. I couldn't have been more pleased with the location, the cost, and the hotel itself.

Oh breakfast! When we arrived for our breakfast (included), we were seated in the formal dining room overlooking the green. We had an extensive selection of specialty dishes, such as eggs benedict and a trout dish my husband ordered, to be ordered from the server as well as an extensive breakfast buffet with wonderful pastries, breads, breakfast side dishes, fruit, etc. All of this was included in our price. My daughter still talks about that breakfast.

Our stay in Cambridge at this hotel was the highlight of a London - Cambridge - Paris (yes, Paris) trip. I whole-heartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Robertsghs,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I must confess that I am absolutely delighted and not a little embarrassed in reading such a wonderful account of your stay with us.

I also remain very pleased that my teams looked after you so well.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms very soon

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the University Arms over the weekend with my partner. The hotel is lovely and has a certain charm about it.  We had intended to dine in Cambridge but decided to give the hotel restaurant a go. We are so glad we did! The food and wine were fantastic. We followed dinner with drinks in the bar. The atmosphere in there is great. I recommend the comfy settees near the window as you can look out onto Parker’s Piece at dusk.

Our room was clean and bed was very comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was made to order which I thought was a nice touch, in keeping with the feeling of the hotel.

The staff at the hotel were so friendly and could not do enough for us. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It made a weekend away into an unexpected romantic weekend away!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jo B

Thank you for your recent post following your stay with us here at the University Arms. I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and it's facilities and you found our team to be friendly and helpful.

I pleased that you enjoyed the food and wine selection in our R17 Restaurant. I will be sure to pass this along to our Chef brigades.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Matthew

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked seven rooms as we were attending a corporate event in Cambridge. On arrival the reception staff were very polite and attentive. The rooms were spacious, clean and the bed was amazing, never slept so well. Had lunch in the bar which was lovely. Breakfast the next morning was a range of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts etc and an extensive cook to order menu. Perfect start to the day.

Having read other reviews on this hotel I must say im very pleasantly surprised on the standards of this hotel. I would come back tomorrow.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear vickinessex

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on triadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and you found our teams to be helpful and attentive. I am also pleased you found your room to be spacious and your bed was "amazing".

Thank you for commenting on our cooked to order breakfast. I am so very pleased you enjoyed it.

vickinessex thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms very soon

Operations Manager

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel has wonderful staff who could not do enough to help. The public rooms are superb, especially the breakfast room, which looks out over Parker's Piece. Breakfast is very good though slightly expensive. The menu is quite varied and cooked to order so unlike many hotels there is no series of dishes of pre cooked and warmed food waiting to be used. Food cooked to order is a much better system. The buffet for cold food such as cereal is reasonable and I quite like the idea of making your own muesli from the bowls of oats various fruits etc.

The dining room for evening meals is a different room but the menu here is not particularly inspiring and does not seem to change very often, which would be a great shame if one was eating in the hotel over several days.

The public corridors have a series of prints of what look like impressionistic continental landscapes which are very pleasant.

My room was a single and though clean and tidy had rather tired decor. The television was quite large for the size of room and was provided with Freeview and some sky sports channels. The single room had no view as it opened onto a internal courtyard - this was no problem to me as I was in Cambridge on business but if on holiday alone - I would have been disappointed. The bathroom was spacious with a bath with shower over etc. It was easy to control the shower and of course it was a powerful spray.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear makeshoilday

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review following your stay here at the University Arms Cambridge.

I appreciate your kind comments with relation to our staff "who could not do enough to help".

I remain delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.