“Great Place to stay”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Once again we have visited Cambridge and stayed in this lovely and friendly hotel Staff are first class in all areas. Yes the decor needs to be refurbished and soon to make it a first class hotel as all other criteria is met for a four star hotel other than no pool and no children's activities if you are looking for these but there is plenty in the local vicinity to keep the little ones happyl From the top of the tree - the General Manager - to every other level - you could not fail to be impressed by the care and attention to detail they give to their guests.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Parkers Piece
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Scottie09
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Scottie -09
It’s with a tremendous sense of pride I read your recent review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your brief stay and that our team looked after you so well.
I very much appreciate your kind comments in relation to our teams, I will be sure to pass this feedback on to them.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the University Arms in the near future.
With Gratitude

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I did talk to reception about the issues and the disappointment, so no surprises for the hotel. Also mentioned the few positive bits, ie good towels, bed linen and comfortable but very small bed. Apart from that our room #332 was small, very shabby and tired with awful soft furnishings. The curtains were in a terrible state and the fabric on both chairs in the room had worn through to show the stuffing. It would be particularly shameful to offer such a room to foreign visitors in such a fantastic place as Cambridge with a global reputation for amongst many things QUALITY. The room only price was £149.00 and re-defines "rip off" for me. I have never written a review even vaguely like this one and hope that this sort of experience doesn't happen again to me or any one else.

Room Tip: Avoid #332 whatever you do.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Richard G
Thank you for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at the University Arms.
I am deeply concerned to learn of your dissatisfaction with certain aspects of your stay and as such have conducted a full investigation.
There is a duty manager on call 24/7 whose remit it is to ensure all guests are comfortable and enjoying their stay.
I am very sorry that on this occasion we have not met your exceptions but do sincerely hope you will return at some stage and allow us the opportunity to address your concerns directly.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just spent a superb weekend reunion in Cambridge and stayed at the University Arms Hotel.
The Hotel is split between 70's design and traditional Manor House styling (the original building).
The staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly. Always smiling and curtious. The bar staff are excellant. The bedroom we slept in was tired but very comfortable and spacious. The hotel is in a period of updating judging by the activity.
Unfortunately the place is let down by the breakfast. On both occassions we had to wait a long time for the order to be taken and then 20 mins for it to actually arrive. Then it was cold.
10/10 for staff. 3/10 for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Smoggles_on_tour

Thank you so much for your recent review and your wonderful sentiments in relation to my teams being helpful and friendly.
I'm delighted you had a "superb weekend and you enjoyed your stay, however disappointed you where kept waiting for your breakfast.

Thank you again; hopefully I may be afforded the opportunity of welcoming you back to the University Arms very soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Just to make it clear, we booked a two night stay at the University Arms but in the end we did not stay there. We visited our daughter who is studying at Cambridge and chose the University Arms with some trepidation, as it had mixed reviews. However, it was close to our daughter’s college, looks grand from the outside and is very central so we took a chance – unlucky for us! The entrance lobby and ground floor rooms, old fashioned but quite warm and plush in style, are deceptive. Our room on the third floor smelly strongly of damp as soon as we walked in, the furnishing, though clean, was tired, shabby and clearly in need of replacement – the bathroom door wouldn’t close, the sink was cracked and the lamp shades ripped (wouldn’t have cost much to replace). We immediately asked to speak to the manager as we were quoted £159 per night for the double room (plus £16 a night parking). Not cheap, but there again, nowhere in Cambridge is. The reason that we did not stay was the damp smell but, to be honest, the standard was more reflective of a budget hotel at half the price. We were sent a very polite maintenance man who confirmed the room smelt and we then waited in vain for the manager to meet us. We trekked with our bags to reception where a polite receptionist told us the manager was busy with other customers. We told her the room was unacceptable but she replied that no other rooms were available and, to add insult to injury, that as it was pre booked she could not refund us. When the manager turned up eventually he seemed unconcerned, never once apologised for the state of the room, did not offer a discount to compensate or do anything to suggest he was bothered one way or another. We insisted on a full refund onto our card to which he did agree on and walked out. So, the upshot is – keep your money and don’t stay here.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Cambridge is wonderful city and the University Arms Hotel with a view over Parkers Piece just adds to the overall fabulous visit I have just had. The hotel is a grand and traditional hotel, slightly worn around the edges but that just gives it even more ambience. The staff were polite and helpful and service was excellent - nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast is excellent and good start to what was going to be a busy day sightseeing. And arriving back late afternoon, footsore and weary how wonderful to sink into the leather sofas in the Bar and relax. Being tired I chose to eat in the hotel and not go out into the city. R17 was excellent with an excellent menu and again very good service. All in all a fantastic stay and certainly a hotel I would recommend to other visitors to Cambridge.

Room Tip: The rooms on the side of the hotel overlooking Parkers Piece have a lovely view. I was told that it...
3  Thank Lesley S

Dear Lesley S
Thank you so much for your truly kind review. I am delighted our teams looked after you so well.
We at the University Arms take great pride in our service delivery and the helpful and attentive nature of our teams. I remain pleased that this has been your experience.
Thank you once again for your kind review; I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, what a waste of money.

The only positive was that it's centrally located.

On check in there was perfunctory service, no offer of help with bags from the £16/night car park and the lift was something out of a Victorian museum. The first room we were offered stank of smoke (smoking ban?) so we complained. The replacement (104, avoid at all costs) was on the first floor right on the corner of Regent Street and the bus station - so VERY noisy, particularly on a Saturday night with all the night clubs on Regent Street throwing out vomiting undergraduates at 4.30am.

The room itself was minute, we have had bigger cabins on board a car ferry. Bed was soft and small, kettle was slow but iron was new.

Breakfast was poor. The attendant was rude and unhelpful and the dining room, that may have been elegant when built in the mid 1800s was dark and somber despite sun flooding through the dirty, rotten and ancient sash windows. Paper napkins set the tone for a 3/10 Full English. Tea and dreadful strewed cheap coffee took ages to arrive as did a simple request for fresh black pepper. Fruits were tinned and the patisseries stale.

The common parts are attempting to be grand but are kitch, with overly heavily patterned carpets and wallpaper, fake oil paintings and the bar is tacky with plastic upholstered club chairs trying to be something it's not.

We would have stayed at the Hotel du Vin but, being graduation weekend, this and all the decent hotels were full.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hotel du Vin and eat at the Free Press, a pleasant stroll over Parker's Piece.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sm0key
I am truly saddened that anyone would feel the need to write a review as such of this.
As always, I am grateful to those guests who choose to leave a review on our hotel, however please understand when reviewers choose to fill their reviews with generic and throwaway statements e.g 'poor breakfast' & 'perfunctory service' I would find it very hard to comment on specifics.
I am pleased to note however whist sifting through your review their appeared to be one or two points that are not shrouded in ambiguity and thereby enabling me to comment on them.
Firstly, regarding your review to our original cage lift as being something 'out of a Victorian museum', this is one of only two operational cage lifts in the country. The vast majority of our guests feel it is in keeping with our environment and we are always proud to care and maintain period features.
You refer to having noise coming from the centre of Cambridge at early hours. Please understand that being a city centre hotel, over a busy period, in particular approaching graduation varying noise levels are something to be expected. In fact, come to mention it, our central location was the only positive remark you gave us. However, I must inform you we work closely with Cambridge council to monitor noise from surrounding premises to minimise disruption.
Your claim that our fruits are tinned and our pastries are stale. I find this interesting as I often personally witness our staff preparing such items from fresh fruit delivered daily. The pastries are also received on a daily basis from 'Delice de France' and are prepared freshly on site.
I know you believe our tea and coffee to be dreadful and even to the extent of referring to such items as cheap, I am sorry to say that I do not agree. Our teas are of a wide selection and are provided by Twinings. Our coffees are sourced from Dowle Egberts to ensure maximum quality.
Regarding to your comments on our full English breakfast rating a 3/10, I am grateful for the opportunity to point out that all of our hot items are prepared to order ensuring their quality and freshness.
Sm0key in conclusion, I feel it is a real shame when any of our guests feel it necessary to write such an inflammatory toned review and refer to my teams as being rude and unhelpful I hasten to add that this most certainly is not my experience nor the experience of a vast proportion of our guests. Given the tone of some of your sentiments, I am left wondering that a majority of these thoughts were written in spite.
Regards
Operational Manager

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed at the hotel while attending a course at the University.
Nice clean hotel with helpful staff. Breakfast was good
Did not try anything else in the hotel as I was on a course.
Would stay here again on my next visit from Pakistan.

Room Tip: Not sure only stayed here once
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Kamran B

Dear Karman B
Thank you for taking the time you post your recent review, I am pleased you found our staff helpful and you enjoyed you breakfast. Thank you again