“Great staff and location”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Great staff and location”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Yes, the bedrooms are a bit jaded (and the lighting dim) but the sheets were crisp and white, the pillows soft and the towels fluffy. The staff were really helpful and friendly and breakfast in the panelled ballroom was a treat.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Missive
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Massive,

Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to learn that overall had a positive experience here at the University Arms.

I really do appreciate your kind sentiments in relation to our teams, and I will be sure to this pass along. I must confess that we pride ourselves on the service delivery of our front of house teams, and the dedication of our housekeeping team. I'm delighted this has been noticed.

Thank you once again and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not to distant future.
Warm regards

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Grayslake, Il
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I booked this hotel largely on the centrality of its location in Cambridge and the recommendations on this site. I was looking for a basic, business-class hotel that allowed me to walk to the university, where I was doing some research. While the staff was all first rate, the room was below sub-standard. Outlets didn't work and the promised wi-fi was only available in the bar -- not my room. The bathroom was a patched up mess. It looked like nobody had put a dime into this room in 30 years. It was unacceptable. This seemed odd to me since the first floor looked like an English club with a lovely view of the park. I'm not sure what happened here, but management needs to invest some serious money to justify the nightly rate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank johnfw_13
Dear Johnfw_13

Thank you for your rent review, I'm both overwhelmed and gratified here the believe are staff to be "first rate".
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind sentiments.
It is true that some areas of our hotel are a little dated and awaiting refurbishment. I'm pleased confirm a refurbishment schedule is well under way; however we are still awaiting a date for completion.

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend break. I'd seen the hotel when in Cambridge before and really wanted to stay here, although on reading the recent reviews I was a bit concerned.
I'd asked for a room in the old part facing the park.. Luckily I rang on the day to find this wasn't logged but they were able to give us that type of room at an extra £20 per night.So for 2 nights I paid nearly £300.
The room (214) was small and a bit dark due to the little inset balcony. It was traditionally decorated which made a nice change from the generic modern hotels,and clean (apart from the chair arms and net curtain). I was surprised to see, when on the balcony, that we were actually in the modern part, you can't really tell from the inside.I would have liked a bottle of water and a shower cap, which we've come to expect in hotels nowadays.
There was a conference on the first morning so breakfast was in the Newton Suite. We were seated next to a draughty window and asked to remain there until someone brought our tea and took our cooked food order. The tea was plonked down (without any milk) and no one came to take our order. After waiting for a while, we went individually to the breakfast buffet which continually ran out of items of food, plates, bowls etc. No one seemed to be keeping an eye on things, though they did quickly replenish when asked. We eventually asked a waitress for our full English breakfast which, when it arrived, was quite 'petite' (ok for me , but not enough for my husband).
The next morning in the Ballroom the breakfast buffet ran smoother generally.
I wouldn't stay here again as I feel it is poor value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KIM R
Dear, Kim R

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at the University Arms. Naturally, where possible we try and accommodate as many of the numerous requests that we receive on a daily basis. I am pleased to hear that for a small supplement we were able to arrange this for you.

Having looked into your room allocation, I can confirm this was a Park view room, I appreciate that this room is not as large as some of our more modern accommodation offerings. With regards to the amenities in your bedroom this is something that we are constantly reviewing, and I have noted your comments for our next review.

Finally, regarding breakfast service on your first morning with us, this is disappointing to learn and I am truly sorry that you were kept waiting and that the service in general was not perhaps as smooth as it should have been.

Best wishes

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Firstly, the room I had was very clean and comfortable - the furnishings and fittings were dated but fitted well with the hotel. The bed did have a huge dip in the middle, but was still of decent quality. The bathroom was warm, extremely small but appeared to have been recently refitted.

The bits to be aware of are the parking and the prices - breakfast was unbelievably expensive and I actually got stuck in the car park because of the tight spaces - if you have anything bigger than a Ford Fiesta don't bother! It was also £16 for the pleasure of getting blocked in, something which they like to remind you by posting a lovely invoice through your door in the middle of the night.

Staff were friendly enough, but a little overkill - I don't particularly like being quizzed about all aspects of my day whilst checking in/out - a simple 'how are you' would have been fine.

Probably wouldn't bother staying here again - the place seems to try to trade off it's supposed grandeur, but is really pretty average to be completely honest. Certainly, I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever consider getting married here. You will be severely disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Matteh-2006

Thankyou for your recent comments posted on trip advisor.
I am pleased that you found your room to be clean and comfortable, and you agree with me that our furnishings fit the hotels surroundings.
I'm delighted that you found our team to be engaging on arrival and departure.

With regards to your comments in relation to our breakfast pricing, we currently offer a wide variety of continental breakfast options available from our buffet as well as plated breakfasts cooked to order.
I would go so far as to say that £14.95 would be more than reasonable and is a base line industry average.

Warm Regards

Scotland
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Good points: very central location; extremely helpful staff. Weakness: the hotel really needs major renovations done to it. I've rarely stayed in a hotel which charged such high prices for such a depressing level of decor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 1Magnus
Dear 1Magnus

Thank you for your very honest and open review posted following your recent stay at the University Arms. I am pleased you enjoyed our central location and you found our teams extremely helpful. It is true that some areas of our hotel require an update, however i am pleased to confirm plans for this are already well underway.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future

Kind Regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed again after a visit in September - service has improved dramatically with the change of management, William on reception couldn't have been more helpful. Don't know what basic rooms are like but executive rooms are acceptable although could do with refurbishment.... Would advise getting to breakfast relatively promptly as food at self serve does tend to go quickly. Will definitely be using this again as although parking is expensive it is available unlike most Cambridge hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alison B
Dear Alison B

Thank you for the flattering review you recently posted on trip advisor. I am absolutely delighted that you found our staff to be helpful and attentive, I will most certainly pass your kind comments to William along with my congratulations.

Thank you very much once again and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards