“Great New Year's Eve Package.”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridge, UK
“Great New Year's Eve Package.”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked two rooms for New Year's Eve and like some others we were a bit concerned about some recent reviews. We needn't have worried we were given a four poster bedroom (room 214) and our daughter and her partner were given the same on another floor, that overlooked Parkers Piece and yes, some things are looking a bit tired and the room was a bit dark, but it was very clean and comfortable with nice toiletries and lovely clean, soft white bath sheets.Great choice of teas and plenty of them. This is a Victorian hotel and there are a few things that let it down but on the whole it was fine and I believe refurbishment will begin sometime this year.

The entrance, reception and ball room alll looked great and the "open fire" in the hallway was very welcoming on a cold and windy night.

The New Years Eve gala dinner was great. Good food, good band and a lovely atmosphere.

Every member of staff that we came into contact with was brilliant - nothing was too much trouble for them and they are a credit to this hotel.

Breakfast was great - buffet style, so as much or as little as you wanted and we could not fault it.

There have been a number of bad reviews for this hotel but this is not one of them.

Room Tip: If you want a quite night away from the busy Regent Street then ask for a room opposite Parkers Piec...
1 Thank fishingCambridge_UK
Matthew M, Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear FishingCambridge_uk

I took great delight in reading your review, it is true that we have a refurbishment program looking to start this year however I have been given no definitive time frame.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for pointing this out, further more I would also like to thank you for noting our food quality, selection and atmosphere.

Above all I take great pride in your comments in relation to our staff, this is something as a hotel we always strive for and i would like to thank you once again for noticing.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The University Arms Cambridge very soon.

Kind Regards
Matthew Morgan
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
London
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Four of us stayed in two rooms in December 2012.

The hotel foyer is comfortable and had some very nice Christmas trees. The bar is also nice with a view of the park. The sandwich we had there was not great though.

The bedroom was a disappointment, suffering from that sad shabbiness which afflicts so many UK hotels. A broken lamp cover had not been replaced, leaving ugly light bulbs exposed, the net curtains were practically black with dirt (the worst I've seen anywhere), the enamel on the loo was chipped and unsightly and just generally the room was looking tired and unloved. The bathroom had what must be the smallest and most useless washbasin in the known world - infuriating! At least the bedding and towels were immaculately clean.

The hardest thing to bear was the heat and stuffiness of the room. It was phenomenal. The radiator was off and the air conditioner was completely feeble and useless. The windows have, for some unfathomable reason, been restricted to opening about half an inch, which made not an iota of difference. Our companions in another room had exactly the same problem and we all passed an utterly miserable night. Their bed was very uncomfortable, with a big dip in the middle, although ours was OK. The rooms were on the road side and incredibly noisy, so if you must stay I suggest you make a point of specifying rooms on the park.

The breakfast was disgusting. I tried a croissant which no self-respecting Frenchman would have acknowledged as such; it was dense and rubbery. Having abandoned that, I asked for scrambled eggs, which are pretty hard to get wrong. I got cold, soggy, unbuttered toast and anaemic, tasteless eggs. My companion who is usually unfussy said the bacon was horrible too. There was no butter available on the buffet, only margarine, which was bizarre. However, some was quickly brought on request.

The staff in general were polite and efficient, although it did little to improve our stay. The core business of a hotel is surely to provide a comfortable room, a good night’s sleep and a decent breakfast. This hotel fell down an all three. We all felt dreadful the next day and it basically ruined our stay in Cambridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the park, or choose another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Paul W, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear MuttleyLondon

We are sorry you had a miserable night staying with us.
I am not sure that night you stayed wit us or what room you were in, but we could have moved you to an alternative room if you had contacted one of our Duty Managers who are on duty twenty hours a day, seven days a week to deal with any guest queries.
I cannot comment on your sandwich as you have not indcated what was wrong with it other than 'not great though'.
The croissant is in fact made in France!
Toast is normally made by guests using a toaster on the buffer, therefore we cannot understand your comments about cold soggy toast!
We do have restrictors on the windows as it is a legal requirement in hotels in the UK.

Please that you found the staff polite and effcicient.

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

lowestoft
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We paid £129 for a 1 night stay and think that it was an absolute joke and a complete insult of a stay. I had come all the way from Sri Lanka to sit an exam in the morning. From the room we could hear loud music until 12pm. I rang reception at about 10 to complain and was told that it would finish at 12 and the guy commented that 'maybe we shouldn't book such late parties in the future'. The party guests then proceeded to make a hell of a lot of noise going to bed until about 1am. My mother complained in the morning on check-out as I was sitting the exam and was told that 'we should have been offered an alternative room'. Well, we weren't. And maybe it should have been taken into consideration that there was a party going on when we were checked in.

The room's furniture was small, very tired and our view was onto a light well. Not exactly what you would expect from a £129 room. It already did not impress me without the noise problems.

Parking was an additional £16, which is pretty steep.

I will be writing to the management.

I paid £700 to come from Sri Lanka for an interview and exam and I feel that my chances of sucess were hampered by this hotel. Something I would absolutely not expect when we paid so much.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if you want to be guaranteed sleep!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paul W, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear jsm101

I note the content of your review and understand you will be writnig to the hotel and we will await your communication so we can reply to you formally.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here on 17th December and was very impressed with this hotel.The reviews made me wary about going but I was pleasantly surprised.On entering the hotel there was lovely display of well cared for plants,display boxes in reception area were well presented and made such a difference from the usual things you see in these cabinets.
Reception team gave a arm welcome and were very friendly.I wandered around the ground floor area and found all areas to be spotless and well kept.All staff I met had a smile.The lunch in Parkers Bar overlooking the green was very enjoyable.
The room we had was spacious,very clean with a fresh smell and plenty of toiletries and variety of teas etc.Admittedly some areas could do with a revamp but the warmth and lovely surroundings was a joy to behold.All staff from reception,bar,breakfast and housekeeping area credit to this lovely victorian hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Emma S

Pleased you were pleasantly surprised by your stay.

Our team do try hard to ensure our guests have a good stay and your comments are very motivational for the team.

We hope you stay with us again in 2013.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well what can I say! This is the best Christmas we have had in years, the staff were so helpful & friendly, the food was superb (don't know how some people can moan about the breakfast!) yes the rooms are a bit tired, but certainly very clean.

The bar prices are a bit inflated, so on Boxing Day we did venture to the Wetherspoons down the road.

Great location for visiting Cambridge & we would certainly book for Christmas next year, if the offer is as good as it was for this year.

1 Thank Yolanda F
Dear Yolanda F

Very pleased you had the best Christmas for years with us and found the food and staff superb.

Glad you took the time and trouble to write a positive review as most guests who enjoy there stay do not.
Normally our breakfasts are percieved to be very good by our guests, but that will depend what time you come down to the dining room as on occasion there can be a substantial rush.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Chrsitmas 2013.
Cambridge, England
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed on the night of 21 December in a 1st floor room overlooking the air-conditioning equipment. Ok, not a beautiful view from the window, but the room was clean, if not a little too warm. We all have different comfort levels so I am sure it is hard to please every one. The room was tired looking but the linen was very nice. Hopefully with the new management money will be
spent to bring the hotel up to 21st century standards. Breakfast was ok not wonderful, but not really bad either. We had been to an office Christmas Party and this room was the same cost as a taxi into and out off Cambridge so who is complaining!

Dear pollypin1

Thank you for your review pleased you found the hotel clean and comfortable.
We are sorry you only found our breakfast OK as we normally recieve very good comments about its qualitry and the selection available.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Four of us stayed here for two nights in November. First the plus points: very central, reasonable prices, half of our party were upgraded to the best room in the hotel.
Now for the not so good:
a) Beer pumps had not been cleaned properly, resulting in bar staff (who didn't have a clue) serving beer that could have caused severe illness. If I hadn't pointed it out they would have kept serving beer with caustic chemicals in it!
b) Bar staff couldn't serve the drinks (eg. Belini) on their own menu.
c) Breakfast was poor, fatty bacon and not much choice for anyone wanted decent bread, cheese, etc
d) Hotel was tired and in desparate need of a make over

I will give the Duty Manager his due, after complaining about several apects (most disturbing being the bar staff and the awful state of their beer pumps) he did complement us our parking, but I shouldn't have needed to be the one in the first place pointing out they were trying to poison their guests!
Hotel has been sold so hopefully new owners will spend some money on a tired building and give their staff (specifically in the bar and restaurant) some decent training in how to do their jobs

• Stayed November 2012
Paul W, General Manager at University Arms Cambridge, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear mab_robinson

Thank you for your review we are sorry if you experienced problems, however pleased you enjoyed our central location and reasonable prices.

I can assure you that the beer pipes are cleaned every single week without fail.

If you look at our previous review we normally get very positive comments about our breakfasts so I am not sure if the problem was a timing issues with all of our guests coming down at once for breakfast.

As you have indicated he hotel has been sold and the new owners are looking at re-branding the hotel and refurbishing it.