“Good value stay in Central Cambridge”

University Arms Cambridge
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Hereford UK
“Good value stay in Central Cambridge”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We were slightly concerned by some of the reviews, but were quite happy with the hotel, expecially for £75 per night double bed and full English breakfast! The room was compact, although not tiny, with a very comfortable bed, desk, two comfortable charis with a small table, and loads of drawer space, plus a wardrobe with safe. The bathroom was well fitted with an excellent over-bath shower, and counter space for our things - a problem in some hotels.
Although there was some wear on some of the furniture, the room was generally very clean and fresh. We were on the top floor on the side of the hotel over Park Place, and the double glazed windows kept out most of the traffic noise, so we slept well (we live in a quiet location in a village).
Plenty of choice at breakfast, from the buffet with extra items to order all included.
Altogether a very good value for a central location in an expensive city.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ColinDavid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Taken here for a surprise weekend by my husband. A bit shocked when the taxi pulled up as we were looking at a 70's block of flats! Once inside things looked a lot better and it becomes apparent that a carbuncle has been attached to the original, beautiful building.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, our meal in the hotel restaurant was delicious and our room was spacious and clean.
The overall decor needs some love as everything is a bit shabby and our room wasn't serviced very well. Dirty glasses left, things not replaced that kind of thing. Also the bar had run out of 3 of it's draught beers by 8.30 on Saturday night.
Overall the hotel is in a great location to visit Cambridge and I would stay again as the staff were so good and apparently for what my husband paid he was happy in comparison to others he had viewed in the area.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Sarah1312
Burnham-on-Crouch
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Stayed Friday to Sunday in a large party, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The public rooms were large and very comfortable, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was the best we have found in any other hotel. Delighted to find the location so near a large shopping mall. Must admit our bedroom was in need of a little t.l.c., but understand that the hotel is soon to be completely renovated. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed here 6 months ago and apart from the parking and breakfast, I found the hotel very disappointing. The central location is great and onsite parking a blessing after a long drive. I booked again, more in hope than expectation and received a room worse than before. Carpeting repaired by black tape! Come on, how awful. Never again

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Norman K

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Grenoble, France
Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel on entrance doesn't look too bad with it's large high ceilings and a certain grandeur and lots of space. However the rooms are pretty awful, especially the bathrooms which in the 2 rooms I stayed in were small, full of poor mastic that looked diseased and lets say 'chest hair' of the previous occupant on the floor. I did manage to get the room changed when after asking for a quiet room I found myself on the first floor over the street. Not quite sure how this meets a quiet room standard. Anyway I believe I was changed as this hotel was used frequently by the company I was seeing and they had booked it for me, otherwise I'm not sure what service I would have got as they seemed put out to be asked to move the room. Speaking to a taxi driver while moving around Cambridge he mentioned that there are not enough hotel rooms in Cambridge, so I assume they are milking this hotel as long as they can before they decide to invest in a refurbishment. Shame, this could really be a top hotel, but as it stands I've been in nicer and cleaner hotels in India.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2011

First of all I would have given this hotel 1 star1 but for the friendliness of the staff - there is a new part and an old part to this hotel and guess what... we were in the old part!

The rooms are kept very clean and the staff in the restaurant are very friendly particularly a nice Portuguese lady in the restaurant who remembered my previous days choice at breakfast. There is an excellent choice for breakfast as well.

Now as I stated we were allocated a room in the 'old' part of the hotel and I can only say this is 'tired' there is wallpaper coming away, in our room the lampshade was broke, the heating was by an electric portable heater, one of the noisiest beds we have slept on.

Would we stay again? If we got the same offer lastminute.com I wouldn’t pay the standard rate. This was our first stay in a De Vere hotel if the rest of the De Vere chain are like this they wont be top of my list.

This is a popular location for tourists so you would have thought De Vere management would refurbish this hotel as a showcase for their hotels. I agree with other reviewers that they over charge for the car park surely guests should be paying less that a 1/3rd for car parking.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed two days at the De Vere, the girl on reception wasn't very helpful to the friends I was travelling with. When I was shown my room, I couldn't get into the room as the bed was across the doorway!after we had moved the bed to get in, we found cracked window panes,paper peeling off the ceiling,badly scratched surfaces,hole in upholstery,frayed net curtains,and more.We managed to change rooms, and although slightly better,this room had an odd smell, cracked glass and needed updating. Parking is a nightmare if you can't get a space at the hotel.The hotel frontage shown in adverts is very appealing, but the actual entrance is very different !

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends