“Fantastic value for money and great service”
Review of Madingley Hall

Madingley Hall
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed here for one night last week on business and only paid £55 inc full English breakfast via late rooms. This is a wonderful hotel and although the rooms are a little basic they contain all that you could need. The hotel is a little devoid of atmosphere in the evening as it appears to mainly cater for daytime seminars etc.......But no problem you can sit in the Bar or do what I did and walk three minutes down the road to the superb Three Horseshoes Gastro pub. All in all a really great value night which I really enjoyed.........Excellent service and great value this is highly recommended if you like me hate plastic hotels on motorway junctions..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I booked & arrived late at Madingley Hall but was very well accommodated. I hadn't eaten & the gentleman at reception offered to drive out & get me something which was very kind, though I declined.

This is NOT a Hotel so don't expect one. The rooms are COnference Centre furbished, basic but clean with towels, tea/coffee & a TV. There is a bar but when I went on my own thinking I may strike up a conversation, it was very quiet- only a table of people at a conference talking 'shop'.

Madingley came into it's own in the morning. The breakfast was fresh, tasty, local produce, proper butcher sausages & bacon, all really delicious. Before I left I took a walk around the garden which is just stunning. I highly recommend taking the time to do this, it's a hidden gem. I couldn't appreciate the grounds as I arrived in the dark but it really lifted the spirit, taking in the fresh air & they grounds.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I organised a lunch for 95 people at Madingley Hall in October 2013. It is aqbeautiful building set in superb grounds on the outskirts of Cambridge, so there is plenty of parking. The event organiser knows exactly what she is doing, and is very good at giving guidance and help to those organising large events. The staff were very helpful when we were trying to set up the event, and, when we arrived, everything was ready for a group of us to put the finishing touches to the main dining room. Service was very efficient, and always given with a smile.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I spent three days here on a busy course. The rooms are basic but they are clean and have a TV, good shower and tea and coffee making facilities.

I arrived late on the first day but I for warned the staff who put me a hot meal aside (nice after a long drive). The food over all was amazing my course included dinner bed and breakfast and I finished up putting on half a stone.

The bar was reasonable and the grounds beautiful. Although not to everyone's taste I'm sure I thought that this was a lovely place to stay not only for courses and conferences but also if you wanted to hop into Cambridge

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2013

As others have remarked, Madingley Hall is a beautiful building situated in lovely grounds. The bedrooms are acceptable and we had a nice view.

However, I have never stayed anywhere where I have been refused a meal during their hours of service. We were told to order bar food before 8pm, and the literature in the room also stated that bar food was served until 8pm.

We went to the bar at 7:45pm and were told they had finished serving, as we observed them taking out meals to another customer. I told the barman that we were told they took orders until 8pm and he just reiterated that they had stopped. This was a Saturday night. I went to reception and told them what had happened. No apology and no attempt to rectify the situation. We were told there was a pub down the road which served food.

Fortunately, we were able to get a table at the pub down the road, after much pleading (they were VERY busy).

In the morning, we determined to arrive for breakfast a good 45 minutes before the advertised time they stopped serving, to find that there was hardly anything left on the hot food counter: just 6 chipolatas, a couple of tomatoes, some scrambled egg and one serving of baked beans. We had to ask them to cook more food, as did the people who came in after us; I got the distinct impression that this was a hassle - surely they should have realised that more guests would want food?

Fortunately the food was nice when they eventually brought it out.

Such a shame. Were it not for the building, grounds and location, I'd have struggled to give Madingley Hall 2 stars for what I consider to be really very poor service.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank SlashMcKnifey
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Upon our arrival we were truly blown away by the impression the building creates as you make your way up the drive. It really is a lovely building. Unfortunately the rooms are quite basic, there is no lift and no air conditioning should the weather be hot (it was when we stayed). Breakfast the following morning was very nice and the view from the breakfast room a delight. However, I think the rooms need upgrading a little. All staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brock59
Reviewed July 27, 2013

stayed there with our whole family (sisters, parents, my wife, and many more) and had a great stay.

the rooms were very clean, the gardens are amazing and we had a lot of fun there.
recommended, especially if you have a car.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family