“Excellent rooms in the heart of Cambridger”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Visiting a friend at University with the family we wanted to stay close to the centre. this hotel was ideally placed for access to most of the central colleges. the room was excellent as was the breakfast. We had heard about the great view from the top floor, and despite it being closed the concierge took us to the rooftop and gave us a great aerial "tour" of Cambridge.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,513)

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed one night between Christmas and new year. Not the cheapest, room was lovely and very nice food in the restaurant. Very quiet for central city location. Would stay again. Room was very spacious with a lovely bathroom.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband booked this hotel for a 1 night valentines break we booked a fellows kings room with a spa treatment as a package , which in the hotel pictures was a beautifully decorated room with quirky wall paper and a good size room and bath room , what we got was a plain walls in a poky room with no bath ?? Just a shower . There was no way that I would have stayed in that room for the price of over £300 a night !!! I have stayed in better chain hotels for less money , I spoke to the reception staff who promptly moved us to an upgrade of a senior fellows room it was a stunning room with a roll top bath and a spacious room with beautiful furniture ..we had breakfast in our room and it was on time and to a high quality . The service was very good from all staff from the valet parking the room service porter to the reception staff , I would have given this a 5 star rating had we had a room like the seniors fellows king in the first place ( feel the E brochure pics are a little misleading ) But would still say this hotel over all and the spa was a very high quality .

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My boyfriend booked this hotel for a valentines surprise and wow, what a surprise it was. We arrived before our room was ready, but we were allowed access to the spa facilities and the hotel stored our bags so we didn't have to carry them about.
The spa was a little small but the views onto the river was lovely and it was usually quite quiet. I would say a tiny downside was that there was no inside link to the spa from the hotel and that you had to walk outside (The distance was less than a meter). Staff in both the hotel and the spa were very friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious, with a king size bed, dresser, large wardrobe and telly. The bathroom was also very lovely with a large bath that could easily fit two in and a very nice shower. Both rooms were very clean and nice. The only downsides was that we didn't have a view from the room but the views from the rooftop balcony were lovely. Unfortunately it was raining really hard so we couldn't go on to it. The other downside was that if you leave the radiator on the room gets very hot!
The hotel is only a couple of minutes walk from the centre of Cambridge, which made shopping and wandering round the amazing architecture of the Universities very easy.
The restaurant again was accessible by walking down the side of the hotel, which didn't bother me. Again the staff were friendly, and made sure that you weren't left waiting to order. The cocktails were very nice, I would recommend a raspberry mojito. The food was also extremely good. The portion was slightly to big for me, but that just meant that it was value for money.
Breakfast was a continental breakfast. Which again was lovely. It had a really good variety of food and drink. Which was good for us both as we have food allergies.
A word on the parking. You have to park in a hotel that is only a 2 minute walk from the hotel. This charges £25 for 5 hours and then 70p for each hour after that. It did get a little expensive.
But I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night whilst visiting our daughter. The location was perfect; the room was modern and clean, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast had a great variety and was high quality.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband booked this hotel for my birthday weekend and was certainly not disappointed. The service is amongst the best we have experienced in any hotel with nothing too much trouble and great attention to detail. The location is about as central as you can get and still drive to the door and the views from the balcony and roof terrace are beautiful (we just need to go back in summer to get full advantage!). The staff were all friendly and accomodating, we remarked that we had never seen such a high ratio of staff to guests and there is always someone on hand to offer assistance. We hope to return as soon as possible!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

The first time I had stayed in Cambridge as what a find..The Varsity is a very special hotel.

I felt as nothing was too much trouble for the the team at The Varsity. Everyone greeted me with warmth throughout the hotel...a refreshing change to often stuffy 4/5 star hotels particularly as I travel alone during the week.

High points: gorgeous spa, top quality gym with Technogym and Life Fitness equipment...not just a hotel gym, I'm a gym snob! Illy coffee in my room, Elemis toiletries, the bonus of cookies brought to my room when I requested fresh milk for my coffee, stunning views and fab locally sourced food not to mention the best scrambled eggs I've ever eaten.

Lows: I visited in Winter and the roof terrace wasn't open.

Special thanks to the lovely lady working as part of the breakfast team who noticed I had a sore throat and sent honey and lemon to my room accompany my breakfast!

Overall a fabulous hotel and can't wait to return to Cambridge for business to stay at this stylish boutique hotel that's just gets it so right!

Stayed: January 2014