We chose The Varsity as the venue for a university reunion for a group of friends last weekend. The hotel is ideally situated for a long weekend to Cambridge being right in the city centre where everything from the river, the colleges and shopping centre is walkable.
The service at the hotel is second to none and far superior to many London hotels I have stayed in. Nothing was too much trouble and service was slick. We arrived early on friday morning and we were warmly greeted by a doorman and the reception team our luggage was stored until our room ready. Valet parking was swiftly arranged and far cheaper than the NCP down the road. When we arrived back at the hotel later that afternoon our luggage had already been transferred to our room, very efficient. We had to call house keeping a couple of times, but service was very quick and friendly.
Our hotel room was just the standard room and although it wasn't huge it had a balcony with the most amazing view of the roof tops and chimney pots and was incredibly clean and well maintained and had hairdryer, ironing board, Elemis toiletries, tea/ coffee facilities and biscuits- no mini- bar as drinks are brought up to your room . It was just unfortunate that the lift was out of order this weekend as our room being on the fifth floor was a workout in itself!
The jacuzzi and sauna areas were well kept and beautifully decorated. Although I would have liked to have had a spa treatment it was very busy with only short appointment times left and so I would recommend booking ahead to get what you want.
Breakfast around the corner in the River bar and restaurant was gorgeous with the usual buffet, hot food such as full english was freshly prepared and also an A'La Carte section with everything from eggs benedict and omelettes to champagne as an extra. Our group ate at the restaurant one night where we were given the private room and the service again was brilliant! The Italian front of house guy (I can't remember his name) was incredibly professional and went out of his way to make the evening special and run smoothly! The hotel kept the roof terrace open for our group later one evening which made the evening special and provided blankets to keep us warm as we enjoyed our drinks and a beautiful view.
All in all an impressive stay in a very beautiful city- We hope to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotel.de, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge