Stayed here in January for a night and have to say I was not impressed.
First impressions last a lifetime, and the hotel is located down a narrow and dark lane full of student housing with a service ally to a few restaurants being the first thing you come to just before the hotel. You enter through a badly designed vestibule which narrows as you get further in and seems to advertise their electrical panel. The doors are heavy and glass - can't say they look disabled friendly either!
The receptionists were rude - they stayed seated throughout the check in and the tone of voice was that of disinterest in my business. I was then handed a key and pointed towards the lift to see myself to the room - no offer of help with luggage was offered as I only had the one carry case. Deciding to take the stairs My "Graduates Double" room on the third floor was looking onto neighbouring buildings and was small. The room was crammed with oversized furniture and the wallpaper was gaudy. There was a lack of minibar in the room and if I wanted a drink I had to call to reception to deal with the lacklustre receptionist. I chose just to keep to tap water.
There was no bath in the room which is okay for business people but I find to be just an easy way for corporate hotels to pack as many rooms into one space as possible.
Check-out was impersonal and as disinterested in me and my day as the check in was the night before.
I will not be returning to this hotel; I have paid the same amount for the Hotel du Vin in Cambridge before and they at least offer a friendly service! If I want mediocre service for small rooms, I'll go to The Holiday inn!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge