The Varsity Hotel & Spa
  • Breakfast included
Hamilton Lodge(Cambridge)
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
2,550 results
All reviewsroof terracevalet parkingfloor to ceiling windowssenior fellowsthe riverilly coffeethe penthouseboutique hotelfifth floormagdalene collegevalet servicelovely hotelhotel guestscooked breakfastlovely roomreception areacentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the varsity in the summer and they have the most excellent roof views and to see Cambridge from the rooftops is so picturesque. The rooms are comfortable and the open plan windows bring the city into the bedroom. This place is a real Cambridge jewel hidden out of the way yet right slap bang in the middle of the finest pubs and food restaurants in Cambridge.

Getting down to one of my favourite past times food well the breakfast was a full English to die for and it's in the same location as the steak restaurant. If ever you are to try a steak in Cambridge or even England for that matter then this place will be where everything should be compared too. 10/10 for food. 10/10 for location, 10/10 for pleasure. Will be booking again for 2013. We just live 5 miles away. So the place speaks for itself.

Room Tip: As high as possible
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

After deciding to try Cambridge for a weekend break we selected The Varsity as it looked a bit different from the standard and predicatable chain offerings. Not the easiest place to find to start off with but the warm welcome, and the large comfortable, well furnished room confirmed we had made a good choice. Very convinient for the centre of the city and from the upper floors at least views out over sights. Though it was the middle of November we ventured up on to the roof top bar both evenings to take in the views and the atmoshere - I should imagine this is a very popular venur during the summer. The restuarant was very good and top marks for the full english breakfast. Only slight issue would be the micro wardrobe if you were staying for more than a few nights, but overall excellent.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms for the view - and the roof top bar for a drink
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I decided to stay at The Varsity for a short business break because of the wonderful comments found here.... well, that was certainly a great idea!!!

I really enjoyed the very large room and the fantastic bathroom! ... plus, I had there the best sirloin steak I have ever had in England!

...but what impressed me more was the service received from the staff.... kind and attentive... congrats for the training done, good job! I really felt welcomed.

I will certainly recommend this hotel... in the middle of Cambridge, near to all the places you will want to visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We went to Cambridge for the weekend and decided to "spoil" ourselves by choosing The Varsity. Now in research I found Cambridge accommodation prices high just for reference. Arriving at the hotel we were warmly greeted by the doorman. The check in experience was good and we went to our room. The room was big, well appointed, beautifully furnished with a stunning bathroom. So far so good, however this is where it starts to fall down. I opened the curtains to find we looked out on to a car park and rear of a restaurant opposite. Beneath our windows a series of skips, lots of noise from ventilation shafts. Then, on closer inspection I noticed the bathroom wasn't quite as clean as I'd hoped, long black hairs on the floor. I didn't complain as I didn't want to be "picky." We were heading out for a walk and then dinner so decided to just accept it. After all the room was nice and I decided not to make a fuss.
I have to say that it was one of the worst nights sleep I've had in a hotel. As has been mentioned on here before by other reviewers, the floors are wooden so sound travels throughout the corridors. The walls might as well be made of paper, I've never known a hotel so noisy! Add to this the noise of the skips being filled at about 7ish on Sunday morning (at least that's what it sounded like) it just made for a bad nights sleep overall. Its such a shame though because the bed was so comfortable, the sheets and linens all beautiful.
And so to breakfast, which is in a building next door. Now this restaurant had a great bustle about it but the service was just dire! We arrived in, were rushed to order, then waited and waited and waited. People who came in afterwards were served their breakfasts before us! We mentioned this and no apology was offered. I asked the waiter to top up my coffee and he did this grudgingly. He then muttered about how he hated sundays as he walked by, from that point I filled my own coffee, no fresh tea was offered either. The quality of the food was lovely but so let down by the service.
So for the price did I think it was worth it? Sorry Varsity hotel no, and I didn't say anything on check out as I just didn't feel I could. Service wasn't that warm on check out. There was one really good lady there (she checked us in) but I felt the others were just doing their job.
This hotel should be fantastic, it should exceed all my expectations (its on the mr & mrs smith list) but it just left me feeling a bit flat. It didn't mar our weekend and I have to say with a few tweaks it could be great but if you do go speak up, don't accept a room over that car park!

2  Thank Alan O
Reviewed November 15, 2012

OK, I was lucky enough to have a weekend in Cambridge before I went to New York on the 5th of November and I stayed at The Varsity. I loved it. There is a an old English gent with a bowler hat that welcomes you at the door, then the ladies at check in are friendly but the best thing about this hotel is the cool style and size of the room compared to the doubletree in Cambridge!! I stayed in room 111 which has a standalone Victorian bath right slap in the middle of the bathroom!! There is also lobby bar on the first floor and a walk around terrace bar on the roof with uninterrupted views (good in Autumn but it must be amazing in Summer!) had a good massage in the spa and wondered into The River Bar where i had a good steak but even better cocktails - make it a cucumber and elderflower collins but make sure to swap the Gin for Vodka! Nathan

Room Tip: room 111 is very large with a large bedroom and separate bathroom