“Varsity rooftop bar”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed August 3, 2012

What a stunning surprise this rooftop bar is! It is hidden away in the middle of the city and you have to climb about ten flights of stairs (or get the lift!) but when you get to the top the view is stunning! It's a wonderful place to meet friends for a cocktail or for coffee. It's pretty expensive but worth it for novelty value! Gazing over the city through glass walls, you really do feel you are on top of the world!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Varsity Hotel & Spa

Reviewed August 3, 2012

As a birthday treat, I was booked in for 2 treatments, a full body massage and a facial with time inbetween to spend in the "spa". Upon arrival, I checked into reception to find they had my name wrong. No biggie but they kept calling me another name which was a little annoying. I waited in the reception area which looks out onto the street. This again is fine, but later I find this is the only waiting area and it's not very private when you are sitting in your dressing gown waiting for a treatment. My full body massage was fabulous, one of the best I have ever had. They use Aveda products only, and the oil used is hot and they are very generous with products. I was asked what kind of pressure I liked, but after that I was not spoken to. The therapists don't talk to you at all! I filled in a short health form so I presume that is enough? I don't particularly like a lot of chatter, but I do like to be relaxed in a new environment. There is something very personal about going into a small room with a stranger! The treatment rooms are miniscule!! The tables are laid in a diagonal and are very close to the doors. Very claustrophobic. After my massage I was told I could use the Spa. This is not a spa. Its a small grubby area with nasty blue tiles and framed pictures. The jacuzzi seemed a little smelly and a horrible colour coming from the coloured light at the bottom - makes it a gaggy green. The fun part is looking out the window onto the river and boardwalk watching shoppers and tourists. Many check themselves out in the window. It took me a few minutes to figure out that they couldn't see me! The sauna and steam room were very average. There is nothing luxury or design led about this spa area. The loungers were cheap and uncomfortable. I sat on one for almost an hour whilst waiting for my facial. This spa seriously lacks a chill out zone. It was too warm for me to enjoying reading my book and the noise of the jacuzzi and other people was not relaxing. My facial was nice. I didn't enjoy the facial brushing massage of the face mask. It seemed to go on for ever. The therapist didn't remove my eye make-up (!?!?!) and didn't ask me about my skin type or what products I use, or what issues I have. She didn't talk to me once, other than to ask me to take 3 deep breaths. When I asked her what moisturiser she used on me, she seemed surprised that I asked and didn't offer to write anything down, or sell me any products. Most unusual! I rarely buy after treatments but I do like to know what has been used on me. There was also a lack of water. They could do with a water machine. I had to wait for a glass of water after my massage but I would have preferred to have had it in the treatment room. The spa provide you with a dressing gown, towel, slippers and free locker. I loved the massage but for the whole experience I won't be returning, unless they do a major overhaul of the spa area. Lastly, I would have opted for a drink on the rooftop, which I have heard is lovely, but I would have had to get dressed and walk out of the spa on to the street and into another entrance for the hotel. It is very disjointed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Natalie H
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My son and i visited Cambridge and we stayed at The Varsity Hotel. The room is very spacious. We stayed in Senior Fellow King's room. The view is very nice from the room. The location is very very convenient as it is in the middle of everything.
The service is excellent. Everyone there was very helpful and very .I got sick and they were very helpful finding me doctor within minutes.

The rooftop is gorgeous.

I would strongly recommend anyone visiting Cambridge to stay there. If we ever go back to Cambridge again, we will never stay anywhere else, only The Varsity.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying everything was exactly as it shoukd be from the word go. - efficient check-in, kind upgrade for a special occasion, clear explanation about the porter feeding the parking meter and offer to take bags upstairs.

Clean suite,loved the Illy coffee, Elemis, toiletries, comfortable bed, robes, could go on. Their policy is not to provide mini bars or tuck boxes so you have to ring room service for fresh milk which arrived quickly, but I would have preferred the room to be stocked.

Staying on a super Sunday deal was good value and we really enjoyed the brasserie in terms of food quality and atmosphere. Great cocktails and wine. Will return - we only live down the road, this was just a bolt hole for the night!

Room service breakfast was lovely, still hot despite being carried outside. And this is my only problem........

Reading previous reviews I thought how hard can it be to walk outside to the restaurant? Well, the problem isnt just this. Because reception feels like it had been plonked in a dingy room, the lack of public areas, the slightly unstyled feel to our suite, the combination of these factors gave it the feel of a serviced appartment block. At full price, I don't think I would have liked this.

Had we been able to enjoy the roof top bar we might have felt differently I guess.

To conclude though, the hotel certainly delivered on food, service and amenities and we had a lovely time, despite the layout feeling just not quite right.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a two night stay at the varsity staying in the Varsitys basic double room. The room is very nicely decorated, clean with a comfy bed, all that you could need.

The staff were very helpful. As with most of Cambridge there is no parking but we were directed to a long stay car park which is a 10 minute walk away, very reasonable price and the hotel took care of the parking tickets for us.
Breakfast is served at the Riverside steak bar which is next door, very good breakfast.
The only bar at the hotel is the roof terrace. I'm sure this is very nice on a hot day but that is not too often with the British weather. The drinks are very expensive and I believe that this is the only area that lets the hotel down.
Overall, definitely visit, a great location, good rooms, helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CCandH
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel was very modern and centrally located, just off of the River Cam and took us just 10 minutes to walk here from the local car park.

It was nice to see the doorman at the front door welcoming us into the hotel, where a friendly receptionist greeted us and informed us that we had been upgraded to a Senior Fellow super king room. The room was modern, spacious and immaculate. Tea and coffee facilities were excellent. I especially liked the Illy’s fresh coffee.

We headed up to the room terrace to enjoy the fantastic views and a few pre-dinner drinks.

Later we dined in the hotel’s Bar & Grill next door, which is buzzing with life. And we definitely had the best ‘seat in the house’ - a table for two right next to the river. The sharing platter was tasty and the steaks we ordered were cooked to perfection. Breakfast in here the following morning was excellent too. We opted for the Full English, which was included in our room rate. There were also a good selection of juices, crossaints, cereal and other breakfast options.

The only down side to our stay was that our room did not have a bath. It was a disabled room, with a walk in wet room. And the air conditioning units on floors 1 and 2 are very noisy. This was a shame as we had asked for a quiet room, as I am a light sleeper. In the end we switched off the unit and opened the windows. Great – until the bin men woke us up at 7am!

Yes it was expensive to stay here, but it was central and a special treat… and I felt truly spoilt. I will definitely stay here again. Next time to make use of the spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floor 3 or upwards.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a pleasant stay last week. Everything was as expected from a hotel of this type. A great breakfast and a comfortable room. Staff were friendly and efficient and the gym was very well equipped. Pretty good if you're staying over for business and want to sleep well and exercise in the evenings.

Room Tip: I've come a few times through work and stayed in different rooms. They all seem pretty good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business