“Great 40th wedding anniversary”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Thought we would treat ourselves for our wedding anniversary. All the staff really welcoming, my wife booked a last minute facial in the Spa that she loved, while I stayed on the roof garden and enjoyed incredible views over Cambridge - whole ambience up there really relaxing, she joined me a few champagnes later and we then went down to the Steakhouse for a meal. Food first rate and service once again faultless, friendly but not invasive. Thanks very much for a memorable trip, will be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,469)

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for an evening due to a friend's wedding. We arrived in the afternoon and on arrival had a great welcome. All the staff were so friendly, they went out of their way to welcome us and made us feel right at home! The room was lovely and although didn't over look the river cam still looked over the city of Cambridge. We went straight up to the roof top terrace for a few drinks (pre wedding drinks) and the staff were again very friendly and welcoming. I couldn't fault the place, room was great, staff were lovely, breakfast in the morning was cracking and we would both 100% recommend it to anyone else. I could continue and praise it more however my dinner is ready!!!

If you get a chance to go then do it!!

Mark and Esther

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We decided to stay at The Varsity for our son's graduation as it close to St John's and he lives across the road to the hotel . The location was perfect about 30 seconds or so away from the college. Staff are polite pleasant and professional. We stayed in Pembroke which was fine.
We took some graduation photos of my son and his friends on the rooftop garden with St John's in the backdrop were breathtaking. After a bottle of Taittinger we went to Midsummer house which was also rather special.
Breakfast was served in the building next door , plenty of choice cereals, cold cuts and cheese in the continental and a Fresh Full English made to order . Perfect stay. We wish to thank everyone at the hotel for a great stay.

Room Tip: Whatever you do make sure you go the roof top garden there is nothing quite like it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Husband's 60 birthday. As well as hotel, had booked husband in for lovely £60 full body massage. Changed time 2 days before arrival. Did not feel full confidence with people on other side of the line - told them so (would love to think this had been taped). On arrival at said time at spa, found that reservation had (indeed) not been made. Really, really disappointed as this was part of some special treats and only time available to us.
Made our disappointment clear to hotel staff. Spoke to hotel owner who completely turned the scenario around to make it sound like our fault.
At 58 years old told him I felt like a child hauled in front of the headmaster! Not a good feeling.
Paid hotel bill in (£250 for one night) the next morning, only to be told by my son later that the hotel had suggested to him that WE, in fact had got the dates/timings wrong.
SHAME ON YOU VARSITY HOTEL !! That really is despicable.

Room Tip: pay the most money
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BarbaraE e
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Be sure to ask for a room that is not over the noisy bar across the street.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights, solely based on its Number 1 ranking on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad I did! The staff went out of their way to be helpful - special thanks to Tariq for helping me with the car and for his friendly professionalism and to Thomas, who was an absolute sweetie in helping me with two enormous suitcases. The room was spacious and well-appointed, and the four-poster bed was a lovely touch of elegance. But for me, the undeniable wow factor was the rooftop terrace. The 360 degree views of Cambridge were breathtaking but the whole ambience of the terrace was just perfect. The staff even offered me a blanket for when it started to get chilly! Wonderful hotel, amazing staff - I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I loved the fantastic view of Cambridge from the amazing roof top terrace. A relaxing drink while admiring the beautiful soundings of Cambridge, this experience is exclusive to the Varsity Hotel. Excellent!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends