“Even at this time of the year a treat”

Cambridge University Botanic Garden
Book In Advance
More Info
$59.72*
and up
Cambridge Day Trip from London
Ranked #11 of 170 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: This heritage-listed Botanic Garden was originally conceived by Professor John Henslow, the mentor and teacher of Charles Darwin. The Garden's plant collections today number over 8000 species from all over the world, displayed within the best collection of trees in the region. The 40 acres of beautifully-landscaped gardens and glasshouses offer year-round interest and seasonal inspiration. The excellent Cafe and Shop are also open year-round. An oasis in the City, this great Garden makes a great day out. Please note our Christmas closure from 24/12/17 - 1/1/18 inclusive.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed March 23, 2014

On arrival we were unsure if we had chosen the right season to visit as some of the first beds on arrival had mainly dying narcissus. How wrong first impression can be as our walk through the gardens was a sensory delight. Masses of colour everywhere, not just flowers, but tress and scrubs alike. Whilst walking between the beds wafts of smells followed each other. There are lots of benches to sit on and enjoy the surroundings and the pavilion is fantastic. Imaginative and tasty food and jugs of fresh tap water top quench your thirst. (lunch for two £20) and the gift shop had a lovely display of tulips, too hard to resist and a nice memory to plant in our garden. And unbelievably it is less than 1/2 mile walking from the station. worth a visit, but allow yourself at least 1/2 day to make the most of it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
"entrance fee"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed March 21, 2014

This is a very beautiful garden. I went there last week with my friends, and it is a total must-visit-place when you go to Cambridge.
It is only 15 minutes walking from the train station. The garden is not too big, so we spend just like 1 hour there. Unfortunately not all the flowers bloomed yet. I was expecting to see lots of gorgeous roses, but they are not bloomed yet. However, they have lovely collection of orchids.
There are lots of variety of plants, from the tropical rain forest to desert plants. You can enter the glass house as well. It is very interesting. If you are hungry, there is also a cafe inside the garden. But i would suggest to bring your own food, and have a picnic there! If the weather is sunny it would be really great!
The fee is £3.95 because we were students. It really worth the price!
We will come back again on summer!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We met a friend here with my two nieces (9, 7) and my parents (60s) and enjoyed a very nice wander before having a bite at the cafe (delicious cakes and coffees) before continuing our wander. I cannot suggest this attraction highly enough. It is incredibly well taken care of and there are lots of different paths to walk through. The kids were amused with the ducks and ponds and the adults were able to enjoy themselves as well. Unfortunately, the kids did not last as long as the adults because I know I could have spent at least another hour!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Again it's nice to walk around and have a picnic. Ideal for little one. Watch out for concert on the garden which is very nice, having a picnic while listening the concert. Excellent.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 6, 2014

If I'm going to be honest, when my mum suggested that we (her, my husband, his parents who were visiting from America, my son and my brother (9yrs old)) should visit the botanic gardens in March while it was cold and we expected that nothing would be growing, I thought that this would be a waste of money and also time. But only being £4.50 per person and children go in free it wasn't initially looking too bad. As we walked around the outside section, there wasn't many things growing and I didn't really enjoy looking at trees as there are so many in cambridge they mostly look the same to me, but my husbands parents and my mother found them extraordinary, so if you have an interest in trees then this may be already sounding amazing! But as we continued in we entered inside and this is where my interest was caught. There were facts about the flowers and many interesting flowers in this part, flowers from all over the world, including china and other exotic places. There were Orchids which were huge and looked like they had mouths. As we continued on there were more and more interesting things. A room full of cactus. See if for yourself, I would imagine in summer outside would be beautiful, but if you're in the country, it's an amazing place to visit, even if trees aren't your main interest!