“Great meal - again!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St John's Chop House

St John's Chop House
Ranked #47 of 678 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Just off the beaten track, The St. John's Chop House is a sister restaurant to The Cambridge Chop House. The restaurant is situated in a 200 year old former Almshouse. Split over 2 levels with 5 separate dining rooms it offers a wide range of dining options from an intimate meal in our Reading Room to the party sized rooms on the ground floor. Traditional British food is once again the mainstay, sourced as locally as possible, complimented by a local cask ale and an interesting wine list. Reservations are taken and recommended, especially at the weekend.
cambridge, england
“Great meal - again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I ate here on Friday 22nd February. We were looking for somewhere at short notice, and I was pleasantly surprised to be told they could fit us in (at five minutes' notice at 7.30 on a Friday night).

We had friendly and efficient service - our waiter had a good knowledge of the menu and wine list. When he brought my wife's starter, a chicken salad, he mistakenly announced it was duck. We were just saying 'that's not what we ordered' as we realised it was obviously chicken, and he was quite embarrassed. When collecting the dishes later, he checked that our chicken had not been 'too duckish'! He had a really nice manner, which we particularly appreciated having had a very bad experience in another restaurant earlier.

As it happens, the chicken salad was the only false note in the whole meal. The chicken was very dry and the dressing too meaner to make up for this. My starter was venison shank and chestnut suet pudding. It was wonderful. My wide had a sirloin for her main, which she loved (I tasted it and it was fantastic). I had ale braised beef cheek, which I have had here before. The previous time I'd loved it, even though it was very fatty. This time there was less fat and just as much flavour.

Two desserts of burned cream, and a fabulous bottle of red, and the meal was over all too soon. Slightly surreally, Fabio Capello arrived with a number of others just before we left! I'd be surprised if he didn't have a great meal as well.

This place is already a favourite of ours and we will be back again.

• Polish first
Bath, United Kingdom
“good old fashioned carnivore restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Four of us for dinner and all our plates were really good, well cooked meats. Sharing fish plate to start was excellent, we shared one between four, good fishcakes and excellent beetroot cured salmon. Very traditional british menu but well done. Nice cosy atmosphere we enjoyed it.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Favourite restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have been here many times, it's our favourite restaurant in Cambridge and we always take our friends when they come to visit. The Cambridge Chop House on King's Street is great as well, but I think the atmosphere at St John's gives it the edge. The staff are fantastic and very knowledgeable about the menu and the beer/wine, the food is delicious, and the prices are great! You can't go wrong. I recommend this place to everyone I know!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Saturday Lunch Out in Cambridge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to the St. John's Chop House for lunch today. We liked the building and the waitress was extremely pleasant, helpful and lively. I thought the food mediocre. I had the scallops, followed by the venison and then the fruit crumble. My partner seemed to do reasonably ok with his vegetarian meal and really did enjoy his sticky toffee pudding. My meal did not seem particularly freshly cooked. I would have liked more vegetables with the main meal. I started to think everything was perhaps prepared long beforehand and this was not food freshly cooked by a chef by any means. This seemed confirmed when the pudding arrived as it was in a dish with the dish put onto a plate and the dish was so extremely hot that the pudding had obviously been heated up in the dish it was served in in a microwave. I had to tip the whole thing out onto the plate in order to be able to cool it down enough to be eaten. I thought the food was expensive for what it was as I did not think the quality was high. The beer was excellent. Based on today's offering I would not hurry back to the chop house.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Love it here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited here many times and it never disappoints, great atmosphere , service and good home Cooke British food, don't go to the chop house in the centre of town stroll around to here much better. You will not be disappointed.