“Wonderful lunch, great service”
Review of The Oak Bistro

The Oak Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oak Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 714 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: tel: 01223 323361
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife, three sons and I had lunch at The Oak on a Saturday whilst my daughter was visiting the university. We were made very welcome and despite turning up with no booking were accommodated providing we could free the table up an within 90 mins as it was booked, which we were happy to do.

We all had two courses from the set menu. The food was great, the boys really enjoyed it, well cooked, well presented and extremely tasty. Service was friendly and attentive. We consider ourselves lucky to have had the chance to eat here, and would definitely recommend. Oh, and we all ate well for £15 a head, so great value too.

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We arrived midweek to a busy restaurant which is always a good sign. The lighting was too dark for me and I needed to use my mobile phone to read the menu!

You both ordered scallops, which were nearly £11 each. They were beautifully cooked however somewhat smothered in a heavy purée.

My husband ordered the sea bream, which really it would've been helpful to have advised required a potato/carbohydrate accompaniment. These are around about £4 each on top

I had lamb, which was panfried, and a little tough. Mine came with a potato accompaniment.

Waiter was very attentive and provided good knowledge of the wine list.

We ordered cheese however we were not told which cheeses they were when they were placed in front of us however another waiter did provide us with that information. I had the special dessert which was a passion fruit cheesecake which was delicious.

Our meal for two bottles of water, one bottle of wine, two starters, two mains, and two desserts.

Was approximately £110 with tip.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Came to the Oak Bistro with my girlfriend, had seen the restaurant on trip advisor and thought we'd give it a try.

The service was excellent, very tentative but not intrusive.

Great atmosphere.

The mushroom risotto was exceptional and the lamb very tender and vegetable gratin extremely tasty.

The highlight was the chocolate fondant which was generously portioned and quite honestly perfect.

Very extensive/impressive wine list.

Couldn't recommend it anymore!!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This place definitely lives up to the Trip Advisor rating. Service was excellent and the food was just fantastic. The portions were very generous. The swordfish main is very tasty. I went with a friend on this occasion but can't wait to go back there with my husband.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We were lucky to get the last table for a Saturday lunch visit to the Oak today and were highly impressed with the welcome by the Owner and staff and quality of the food & service. It set up our afternoon visit to the Fitzwilliam Museum really well. We will go back again soon.