“Nice and friendly, but food is awful”
Review of The Mitre

The Mitre
Ranked #64 of 722 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: You will find The Mitre in Cambridge within a short stroll of Trinity Street, Sidney Street and Round Church Street - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Mitre is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Picked it for the number of real ales displayed and wasn't disappointed in these, quite nice indeed. Subtle and fresh notes and interesting undertones. Staff really friendly and a cosy atmosphere; prices not too bad too. However, the food was just awful: got the Shropshire chicken which was very dry and flavourless, on a bed of completely raw and crunchy root vegetables, not exactly the desired 'al dente'. Wouldn't consider going there again!

1  Thank eiola

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went for lunch and enjoyed a main course and drink for £6.00 per head.
Staff were charming and efficient, a great pint of beer and the food came quickly and was well presented, tasty and excellent value.

Worth a visit and in a great central location

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I've probably written a glowing review of this restaurant in the past, it was one of our Cambridge favourites.
The staff are friendly.
The service was good.
The beer is excellent!
The fish and chips were OK, except the chips & mushy peas were warm not hot.
But yesterday I chose "Rib of Beef Pie" from the menu.
My wife remarked when it arrived ..that looks like "Cow Pie" from Desperate Dan of Beano days.
It had the bit of rib sticking out the top.
The meat in the pie was the toughest, grisly bit of meat I have ever been presented with, I think it was actually some part of a very old sheep rather than beef. I tried chewing on a few outer edges of it, but then gave up. I checked the menu, it says "a tender piece of rib beef". I decided perhaps this was a joke, somebody in the kitchen was up to some mischief. I was a bit fed up.
I should have really complained, but like so many other English people I don't, I just seethe inside.
The shameful thing is most of the customers in "The Mitre" are now foreign tourists, who are classed as just passing trade, and if they had received this meal they would never come back to this country again.
I do hope The Mitre gets its act together again as I do hate writing bad reviews.

2  Thank DrLawn
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We fancied a Sunday roast at Easter and we chose this pub because the family in the window eating their Sunday lunch looked happy enough! The pub had a nice enough atmosphere and, after a bit of a wait for our drinks order and the menus, we ordered our roasts (£8.95 for chicken; £10.95 for lamb). From this point on it was evident that the (friendly) waitress was mostly serving on her own and the kitchen were clearly letting her down, resulting in a long wait for everything (including a request for some mint sauce!) - many of the customers at nearby tables were either complaining or looking disgruntled. The food was fairly tasty and the portion sizes were perhaps a little on the smaller size. The chocolate brownie for dessert was delicious! Our bill for 4 drinks, 2 mains and 2 desserts came to £40. All in all, not a terrible place - we just spent far longer in here than we were hoping - but they definitely need more waiting staff and more reliable kitchen staff for a busy pub in the centre of Cambridge!

1  Thank LauraK2013
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Good Roast Beef and amazing Burgers, nice service and delicious desserts. Always in good recommendation.