“Great setting, terrible food”
Review of The Anchor

The Anchor
Reserve with OpenTable
The Anchor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 691 Restaurants in Cambridge
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The newly refurbished Anchor Pub boasts a sixty seat dining room over looking the river Cam, In addition we have a brand new open Kitchen, New menus, new wine list and offer fresh innovative food using seasonal & locally sourced ingredients. Real ales and craft beers from local brewers and will be open for lunch and dinner everyday. During the summer months our guests will be able to eat Al Fresco on our beautiful river terrace. We look forward to welcoming you.
London
“Great setting, terrible food”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

A beautiful setting right on the riverside but spoilt by some terrible food. I visited Cambridge for the day with a few colleagues and we stopped here for some lunch before going punting and to be honest wished we hadn't bothered. A couple of colleagues had burgers which they said were OK. The rest of us had chicken & bacon club sandwiches. Simple, we thought. The amount of chicken & bacon in them was an embarassment, we may as well have just ordered some toast each!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Adam T

• Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Awful food!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Went here for Sunday roast which was supposed to be good. We were quite late for lunch but did ask if they could still do the roast and there were plenty of other people eating or ordering. They said yes and we paid the £8.95 each for roast beef and roast pork. The roast consisted of one slice of dry, gristly meat, mashed potato, 2 small, soft supposedly roast potatoes, 2 cardboard yorkshire puddings, a few pieces of carrot and literally 3 stringy green beans. The food was at best luke-warm and tasteless. It came with a bottle of tomato sauce and one of vinegar - had to ask for horseradish - no apple sauce or mustard offered.

I would have complained, but as with daughter and her boyfriend did not want to embarrass them. Needless to say we won't be going back. I know they have a prime location and rely on the endless tourist trade but there is no excuse for serving this kind of food.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Lesley R
“Great view, great pub”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a great pub to head to in Cambridge. It is on the side of the river,so there's a great view and waterside terrace. The food is pub Faye with good portions and good choice or real ale on tap. It's always packed as everyone wants the view !!

• Visited August 2012
Royston, United Kingdom
“Nice location but TERRIBLE food”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I certainly wouldn't recommend this pub to anyone visiting this lovely city.

We arrived on a beautiful sunny day - Fathers Day to be exact. There were two adults and two children. Ordered childrens lasagne and adult tuna/noodles and the adults had risotto and Hunters Chicken.

The lasagne had obviously been shoved in the microwave as the food was splattered up the dish. The serving was minisucle and the plate on which it all sat was hot, including where the salad was.

The tuna and noodles appeared OK but that too had been heated up because some of the noodles had gone hard at the ends.

The Hunters Chicken was also splattered up the dish and where the salad was dumped was also hot.

My risotto was probably the worse one. When it arrived (after everyone else had started their meal - about 7 minutes later) it was FROZEN in the middle. When I complained they took it back and probably shoved it in the microwave to defrost. It was a bland but very tomatoey goo by the time I got it back - after everyone else had attempted to eat their meals (the children failed to finish). One of the staff asked if everything was OK and I didn't reply, jsut ate the goo because I was hungry.

When I then had the audacity to complain, hoping to get at least my meal off, they said that they wouldn't charge for the drinks (about £4) ordered since the meal started but they refused to refund the risotto. Their reasoning was that I hadn't complained when they asked, even though it had already gone back to them once.

It was a disappointing meal for my boyfriend to have on Father Day and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, Great location, Great cider”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The location of this restaurant/pub in brilliant. Sitting outside with views of the river cam and watching people on the punts ( how very british) you couldn't ask for more. Lovely food and even in the winter my husband and I go there and have a soup and a sandwich for a fiver.

Visited July 2012