“I can't really recommend this place.”

Giraffe - Cambridge
Ranked #449 of 691 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music - guaranteed to make you feel good!
Great Shelford, United Kingdom
“I can't really recommend this place.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

So we came here on a Saturday night, we sat in cold and quiet ground floor. It was peaceful (on a Saturday night that is pretty rare), but my gosh it was chilly.

The waiter was very matey which was fine, overall the service was quick and attentive. I would have happily tipped but it turns out I didn't have a choice on that front. Tipping should be optional, especially since two of our friends who left early didn't tip because they didn't know they had to (their prerogative) on like a 70 quid bill, leaving us to to pay 10%..

The food is what really let this place down. Don't get the nachos, they were awful, burnt on the outside and soggy on the inside, I could have made better myself for a lot less than 7 quid! The mains were better, but sparse. I had a burger with cheese, it was on the colder side of acceptable and on the smaller side of what you'd expect for £10.50, the chips committed exactly the same crimes. There was no side salad included. What you got was tasty, but you got very little.

I have only ever awarded one average before, a Vietnamese restaurant on Bridge Street called Thanh Binh, Giraffe was better than that. But many of the restaurants I've given 4 stars put this one to shame, so it had to be 3.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jean H

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good food terrible service”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Busy Friday lunchtime visit on a wet windy day. Excellent front of house greeter was charming & promised 5 minute wait for table - it was about 5 mins.
Terrible unwelcoming miserable guy upstairs took 15 mins to take the order, 15 mins to bring cokes then another 15 for food. By this time it was nearly 3pm & restaurant nearly empty.

Visited January 2014
stansted
“tip in cash not on the bill”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had to wait for a table which was empty when we arrived so why we had to wait for it I don't know. Sat in the window downstairs with a pillar for company. Didn't take my coat off at all because the place was so cold. Nevertheless, the food was great, the staff were great, the price was maybe a little high. The only real quibble I have is they put a 10% gratuity on the bill, at the very bottom of the bill they state "we have added an "optional" 10% gratuity to your bill". This money just goes straight to the company coffers, I told the staff member to remove it from the bill and I left the same amount in cash on the table, they were very grateful. Terrible practice, I reckon most people don't have the nerve to tell them to remove it so the company get away with it.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank cantabria2012
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Easy chain option”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Good choice of cosmopolitan foods, well cooked and presented.
Good atmosphere every time we have been.
Service was a little on the slow side in this branch but forgiveable.

Visited July 2013
Cambridge
“Starters and main course together”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Arrived as a large work group, booked a couple of weeks in advance. There were around 23 of us in total. We had our table booked for 6pm on a Sat evening. We arrived and ordered drinks. They were fairly slow in getting us watered as they appeared to be short staffed. So ordered starters and mains. The starters came out in good time but a few seconds later the mains came out too! When we enquirer why this was the case we were told it was because another large group was coming in. Surely that's a good thing for a restaurant? Presumably these people weren't bringing their own tables and catching the staff off guard. Absolutely no excuse! Laughable really. As for the food. It was ok. Well mine was. Very pricey for what it was. Overall the only thing I can say was it was ok. Would I go again? No. Someone else mentioned the automatically added service charge. Ours was nearly £70. Got that removed immediately. Being something to do with Tesco really showed. Overpriced, under staffed and a gold star in mediocrity.

• Visited December 2013