“Great food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cambridge Chop House

The Cambridge Chop House
Ranked #14 of 677 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: European, British, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located in the heart of Cambridge, opposite Kings College Chapel, The Cambridge Chop House is a traditional British bar and restaurant that has been popular with locals and visitors from further afield since it opened in 2007. Split over two levels, the ground floor boasts views of Kings College Chapel while the basement is an intimate, atmospheric cellar split into four rooms. The menu offers British classics made from locally sourced ingredients and the two course set lunch and pre-theatre menu is excellent value for money. Popular dishes include Mutton Barnsley chops; whole sea bass with wholegrain mustard sauce; and daily changing sausages made on site. The hearty portions are best served with local ales straight from the cask or wine from an extensive list.
“Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I went there for dinner yesterday. We didn't make reservation, but luckily we were able to sit down at a reserved table and just had to finish in two hours, which was not a rush.
We ordered a salad which was the last one on the menu. I forgot its name but there was fish cakes, smoked salmon and some veg. They were a lot and tasted really really nice!! We'd say it is a must try!
For main courses, we had medium-cooked flat-iron steak with peppercorn sauce and "nose-to-tail" pork. The steak was tender and juicy! And I especially enjoyed the pork since there were so many different things to make you enjoyable and excited!
The service is nice as well. The waiter was very busy during dinner hours but we liked him very much!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
West Mids UK
“Lovely restaurant - maybe I was unlucky with my steak”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I went last Saturday - table booked online. I was really looking forward to a lovely juicy tender steak but unfortunately I was disappointed.
My wife ordered an 8oz Sirloin steak - med/rare - cooked perfectly and was a lovely steak.
I went for the special board 12oz (I think) Sirloin on rib/bone again med/rare. I found this to be unevenly cooked (one side didn't have any sign of a griddle mark) and extremely chewy for this cut of beef, as such I left half of it.
I didn't complain as it's not my style but I'd have thought given the nature of the restaurant the quality and standard would be higher.

Maybe I was unlucky!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MaxFreeman, Owner at The Cambridge Chop House, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Edncharl,

Thank you for your honest & fair review. I will be speaking to the chef and asking him to do 2 things.
1. To monitor the quality of the steaks coming in for specials more.
2. To ensure his team are cooking the steaks with more care & attention.

As a chophouse we live and die on the quality or our meat and we appreciate all feedback as to its quality.
Many thanks,
Max Freeman
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“British food at its best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The website advertises food like Grandma used to make and the menu is based on predominantly meat- based British classics. As name suggests, chops and steaks feature,with regrettably less-encountered meats such as rabbit. Cooking is honest and uncomplicated, but not without skill and lightness of touch. Steak and mushroom suet pudding was full of flavour without being heavy; perhaps you might expect more meat for the price, but the herby pastry soaked in unctuous gravy was anyhow the highlight of the dish. A steamed ginger sponge was similarly traditional but light and not a struggle to finish, even after the suet! Have eaten the set menu several times previously which is great value - a game cottage pie was a memorable dish. Eating downstairs can be a bit dingy but upstairs by with large windows with a wonderful view of King's is a great place to eat. Service efficient without being intrusive. Drinks not hugely expensive. Nice touches like the recorded classic comedy in the loos. Perhaps warrants five stars, though slight impression perhaps tad too expensive for ultimately straightforward food. However, an oasis in the desert of Cambridge restaurantation.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Another Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Yet another visit here this with some friends who hadn't visited before. Very friendly staff, meats explained to us at table before ordering reminded me of The Maze Grill as they do this too. We all had steaks which were excellent. The Merlot wine was commented on as being very good. I had the sticky toffee pud which was yummy :) always enjoy eating here and will be back soon.

London, United Kingdom
“Honest to goodness quality, fairly priced. Enough said.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Despite its historic associations and tourist floods, Cambridge is not very well-served for decent restaurants - like too many English towns it has become swamped with bland, depressing, theme chained bland eateries, so the Chop House on King's Parade (there are two branches, I believe) is a real find. It serves more than adequate portions of no-nonsense, mostly meat dishes, with unfussy, unobtrusive service in a clean and tidy environment. Good wine list, fairly priced, around £60.00 for two ample courses (steak) and a glass of wine each. Consistently good food, service and value are becoming rare in ripoff Britain, so please take this review as a very positive recommendation for a very decent chop house.