“Absolutely delicious”

River Bar Steakhouse & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
River Bar Steakhouse & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 683 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The River Bar Steakhouse and Grill, with its cavernous loft-like vibe, quayside location and creative crowd, has become one of Cambridge's premier restaurants. Located close to the bustling town centre, in a riverside spot opposite Magdalene College, The River Bar Steakhouse and Grill is a popular choice for special occasion dining and drinks. The Grill serves the very finest prime cuts of beef, aged for 28 days and sourced from local farms. The menu includes a large selection of cuts, from a classic porterhouse to a tender fillet or indulgent chateaubriand for two. Burgers meanwhile are freshly made on the premises and marinated chicken and fresh fish come straight from the signature grill too. Though based around the steak, The River Bar Steakhouse and Grill caters superbly for vegetarians, serves sublime desserts and prior to your meal we heartily recommend enjoying hand mixed cocktails in the bar, the ideal start to any special evening.
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Absolutely delicious”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I have been in the river bar and steakhouse&grill for our first anniversary and it has been absolutely a perfect night; just in, we have been welcomed by the Romanian waiter ( I don't remember the name) and by one of the manager in charge ( young and blond hair). They were very polite and friendly for all the evening like the lady with ginger hair who served us during the dinner in collaboration with the Romanian waiter. The food was perfect: starters ( smoked salmon and pan fried squid), main ( chateaubrian to share) and the dessert ( chocolate brownie). We didn't wait a lot for the food. One of the best steakhouse in Cambridge . Worth every penny.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A little tucked out of the way but well worth the visit.”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A little gem of a find.The restaurant is tastefully decorated the staff are friendly , efficient and polite without being intrusive. The sirloin steak we had was cooked to perfection and the red wine recommended was the perfect partner to our meal.Well done to all those who made this a most enjoyable and relaxing evening as we will certainly visit again.

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely place and excellent food”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

A really lovely restaurant overlooking the river in an old building that they have converted. I had a beautifully cooked rare fillet and my girlfriend had the lobster which she loved. Good service and a a few cocktails later made for a really great evening. Certainly recommend

Ely, United Kingdom
“Very inconsistent steak delivery, quality doesn't match the price.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went with my family to River Bar Steakhouse & Grill for my birthday this year. First impressions were very good. The restaurant area is well presented and the staff very friendly. We didn't get our table until about 20mins later than I'd booked, but we were served drinks and a comfortable place to sit so that was OK.

The starters were average. I had squid which was in a tasty sauce, but it was somewhat chewy and overcooked.

I had high expectations for the steaks, given the price and the encyclopaedic details about cooking temperatures and cuts on the menu. Two of our steaks were OK, but we were also served...

* One 20oz porterhouse (mine), ordered medium-rare, came more like medium one side, medium-well the other. It also didn't seem anything like 20oz, it was less than half an inch thick, but obviously I didn't bring any scales to confirm!
* One rump ordered well-done (my Mum's) which was absolutely crucified. She persisted for 5-10mins but couldn't actually chew a single piece enough to swallow it. This left her embarrassed and upset.

My sister also ordered a burger, which she specifically ordered well-done, but came pink in the middle.

I'm not really one for making a fuss, so I put up with my chewy squid and slightly overcooked, possibly underweight porterhouse. I also ignored my sister’s complaints about her burger. But I had to send my Mum's steak back; else she was only going to be having chips and wine for dinner. The waiter was very nice about it, and the chef advised that if she wanted it well-done she should try the sirloin. We took this advice, and she was re-served a really nice sirloin… but unfortunately, for my Mum at least, it was served medium-rare to rare. There was a lot of blood and there was no way she was going to eat it, despite my attempts to convince her otherwise. I enjoyed that steak a lot more than my overcooked porterhouse, but unfortunately my Mum left the restaurant hungry.

For somewhere that supposedly specialises in steaks, and charges a premium for them, I was very disappointed. There was no consistency in what came out of the kitchen at all. Well-done steak is heresy to some, myself included, but a good steakhouse should be able to provide one that is edible when called upon. My porterhouse, supposed to be a birthday treat, was also very disappointing. I do wonder if half of our problems were down to the fact that the steaks are served in the pan they're cooked in and therefore carry on cooking while waiting for service.

The service was friendly and professional enough throughout, and they didn't charge us for either of my Mum's steaks. Although it wasn't until towards the end that I realised we hadn't been offered a second drink all night, despite having been there nearly 3hrs by the time we were done.

We paid over £200 for 6 people, even with my Mum's meal removed from the bill. If we'd paid more like 2/3 of that, and my Mum had been given a steak she could actually eat, I would have been satisfied. But from our experience, the kitchen here does not have the skills to match the quality it claims or charges for.

You can ask for it cooked how you like, but in reality it may be a lottery.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank fbjimmy
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great steaks”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Two perfectly cooked sirloins, well presented and good service. Try and get a table near the river for a really good ambience - not fussy food just well cooked and good ingredients for a relaing evening