“Great food in quiet surroundings”
Review of R17 - CLOSED

R17
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our meal in R17 was very pleasant. We only had two courses, but both starters and mains were well presented and had plenty of interesting flavours. There were about 5 starters and 6 mains, plus a couple of chef's specials. The staff were polite and attentive, and the food came promptly. The meal was reasonably priced - just over £40 for both of us, including a drink (we did not have wine), and there was no charge for the water & bread provided before the meal.
The restaurant was extremely quiet, even for a Monday night; there was only one other couple when we arrived, and only 3 further customers arrived while we were there. This made the atmosphere a little sterile. Perhaps the lack of customers was because it is part of a hotel and not immediately obvious as a public restaurant. But, whatever the reason, it deserves to be more widely patronised. As it is, if you are looking for a quiet place to have enjoyable food, this is a good choice.

1  Thank Ngarara23
mark b, Head Chef at R17, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you very much for the lovely review you have posted. I’m really happy you enjoyed our food. I hope to see you back very soon

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Lovely freshly cooked food in a very nice atmosphere. Very good value for money.The Bin End Wine is also very good excellent.

1  Thank Duncan W
mark b, Head Chef at R17, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

I was very pleased to read your positive comments about our restaurant. I very much look forward to seeing you at R17 again. Thank you for your comments

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I've never written a restaurant review before but I felt that on this occasion I had to.

My boyfriend and I have been to most restaurants in Cambridge, but were looking for somewhere new so I had a quick scroll through Tripadvisor and chanced upon reviews for R17 and the glowing reviews that it had.

I was not disappointed. I had the seafood linguini special with scallops, king prawns and salmon, which was so delicious - much better than I expected for under a tenner. The boyfriend had the pork - perfectly tender and juicy. We also had two complimentary baskets of tasty bread and butter, which was a small gesture that made a big impact on our dining experience.

The prices were great (especially the specials menu) and there was a free glass of wine offer which we weren't aware of until we told the waitress we thought she had missed off our drinks... It made our night! We left with big smiles on our faces :)

The menu choices were perhaps a little limited in number, but you only eat one of the choices anyway, so I didn't see this as a problem. All the choices sounded great and I wouldn't have minded having any one of them.

Fresh, delicious food with a really sweet waitress in a good location for a fantastic price. What more could you want?

The only thing was that it was quite empty, which was a shame for the restaurant. Perhaps if people continue to write reviews, this will change!

Give it a go!

1  Thank 5,652,013
mark b, Head Chef at R17, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thanks for the lovely comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Please come and try our winter menu

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We read through quite a number of tripadvisor reviews and decided the price seemed right and we would not have to wait in line for a table. The menu is small with five starter selections and five or six main dishes. That's fine, but I would think with fewer items to prepare routinely that every plate would be divine. Or something memorable. We had a tomato soup and bacon spinach salad to start. Fine, but nothing to write home about. The duck and sirloin for entrees were also fine, but probably a 5 of 10 rating. Dessert--eh. The lower star rating is because we went through a whole dinner without once having our water glasses filled...and they were empty after the starter course...

mark b, Head Chef at R17, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

First off, can I please apologize for our mistake with the not filling up your water glasses. I can assure you this is not a standard practice. This has already been reported, and investigated, by our food and beverage team. I am also very sorry you found your menu choice to be limited. Please accept our apologies. We very much hope to see you soon to sample our new winter menu.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Went to r17 on a whim mid-week. It is attached to the University Arms hotel, which might be part of the reason why this place was so empty, as we couldn't seem to find any other good reasons! The menu is a la carte in the sense that you can select anything you like from their entire menu, however most items are inclusive of a set 2 or 3 course price. The more fancy items are an additional cost, usually 2 or 3 pounds more.

My girlfriend and I had the 2 courses and the food was brilliant. The service was also just the way I like it - non-invasive but perfectly attuned to when you want plates taken away or drinks refilled.

We were both pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food for the price. Perhaps the high price tag hotel it is attached to discourages non guests from frequenting this restaurant. A shame if it is, but we most definitely will go back!

mark b, Head Chef at R17, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for the comments. We pride our selves cooking good food at a good price. We look forward to seeing you again very soon