“Below Average, expensive for what you get”

Stazione Restaurant & Coffee bar
Ranked #150 of 691 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Below Average, expensive for what you get”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Tables are very cramped and lacks atmosphere. My pasta had the microwave look and taste to it for £11 I would expect more. My husband had calfs liver and for £16 we have had much better elsewhere. Prices reflex location not quality.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank AndyW716

Crawley, United Kingdom
“Very good if you carry CASH with you at all times”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Nice location in middle of market square. Nicely decorated with very comfortable chairs. Polite attendants. Music background pleasing and relaxing. We did not sample much of the menu as this was quick lunch but what we had was very well cooked and tasted great. Food came quickly. All in all a very nice place to be ...but they had to spoil it in one aspect only..It was only after we sat down and starting looking at the menu that they told it is CASH ONLY. I had to go to a (very near by) cash machine to take moneys out....This somehow spoiled the otherwise nice atmosphere...I mean you can buy things from the market stalls opposite the restaurant by card and you cannot in an establishment like this one..We've spend quite some time in Cambridge in the last 3 years and I can venture that they are the only ones not accepting card payments. Which of course is their business but I believe that because it is such an oddity it must be placed on a large NOTE right at the entrance, next to the Menus, so we know about it before we sit down and be able to make an informed decision without having to sit down first.

• Visited December 2012
“Not great”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had a good feeling about the place when we arrived. The place looks nice and we were made to feel very welcome. We were there for the food however, and it was poor.

I had a lasagne and some garlic bread. The lasagne was made with fresh pasta which had perfect texture but was tasteless. The meat sauce was average but the meat itself was not the best quality. More mozzarella would have been nice too. It cost £10.25 and was not worth half that. The garlic bread was made on fresh bread and was nice but nothing special.

My partner had a ham and olive pizza. The base tasted exactly like the dough at Pizza Hut. I like Pizza Hut pizzas but I expect more at a restaurant. There was a serious lack of topping on the pizza though. So little in fact that she mentioned it to the waiter when he collected the plates (something she's never done before), he seemed utterly surprised by this and made her feel awkward by his response.

No payment by card, not sure why they can't get a machine like everywhere else.

1 Thank staz1000
Cambridge, UK
“Faded.”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

A thoroughly faded restaurant.

The outdoors seating is on one of Cambridge's most crowded street-corners. I enjoy people-watching but this is just too much. Sit on the edge and the maddening weekend crowds of Cambridge will brush past your table, handbags and elbows inches from your face and plate. It was OK when I ate there on a quiet summer afternoon last year, but when I returned on a chilly October for Saturday lunch it was just bad - the heaters did not do much to keep us warm, and sitting at the flimsy table next to the bustling kerb I could not relax.

Why didn't I go inside? Because it's dark and depressing! Apart from the outdoors seating, the whole restaurant is in a basement. The interior decoration and menu are so dated - it's like the last 20 years never happened.

The service is rather slow and undistinguished. It's unclear whether you should wait to be seated or grab a table as fast as you can, but no matter what you do, you won't be noticed for a little while.

I enjoy simple Italian food but Stazione doesn't get it right. Dry pizza with too little sauce. Cold starter. The better dishes, such as lobster pasta and meats, are way to expensive for such a dull restaurant. I'll keep my money for somewhere less sad.

If you want classic Italian done well, I recommend Di Pasquale, 40 metres away on the Market Square. They are similarly priced but Pasquale's seating area is pleasant and not an excuse. It's not fashionable either, but it's very welcoming, unfussy and the food hits just the right spot when you feel like a good pizza or pasta dish.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Alice S
Cambridge
“Excellent, and I don't say that very often.”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were in the city center and needed something to eat at lunchtime on a busy shopping Sunday. We found ourselves in Stazione almost by accident expecting it to be difficult to find somewhere to eat without having to wait.

We were welcomed immediately on arrival and seated straight away. There were quite a few people in the restaurant but there were plenty of tables available.

The waiter was attentive throughout, and our drinks and food were brought promptly. The food was hot and excellent.

Recommended, we will definitely visit again.

• Visited November 2012