“Average Quality”

Ranked #305 of 713 Restaurants in Cambridge
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

When this Restuarant first opened approx 5 years ago it was fantastic with a real family run feel to it.
Now its a chain run pub and has lost its charm and quality plus the standard of waiter service has fallen as our waiter kept interupting our private conversations with his take on it and had his hands in the food as the plates were passed over.
I had cold cod with soggy chips and the food was expensive considering the lack of quality
My friends who came along to this restuarant with us and I assured should not rely on bad reviews were correct..I should have in this case!
Just a average pub but a bit more expensive.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We visited the Bridge with friends who live in the area.

It's a nice old building on the banks of the Cam. The welcome was friendly and we were seated promptly.

The menu suggests gastropub ambitions with the fish and chips listed as "hand battered cod with triple cooked chips." I ordered the cod and got some fairly ordinary fish and chips. The batter was thin and only just crisp and the chips weren't crisp at all.

For dessert the golden syrup sponge normally comes with a toffee ice cream, shipped cream and strawberries, which does not sound like a great combination. Fortunately there was no problem getting it with custard instead and it was a perfectly decent sponge pudding, if nothing special. Unlike many pubs the custard portion was sufficient, though not generous. The menu does say "you can have as much custard as you like", so I'm sure I could have asked for more.

The wine list was good, including a nice Spanish Albarino by the glass.

The service was friendly and helpful.

Overall, I would rate the Bridge as acceptable, but not somewhere I would go out of my way to come back to.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I ordered a steak medium rare, arrived rare inside and medium on the outside. Asked for it to cooked a bit more. Arrived burnt on the outside and still rare inside. Asked for it to be changed. Steak arrived dripping in fat with no taste except burnt again. Asked for the side salad that I had paid £2.95 for a couple if leaves a piece of cucumber and a tomato and also for a round of drinks. Waitress tutted and walked off. She bought me a salad and asked what drinks I would like. By this time I had decided enough was enough and told the waitress I wasn't stopping for any more drinks. She said so u don't want anymore drinks then and walked off shaking her head. When our plates were being collected up the waiter asked if everything was ok. I said not really. I'm not happy to eat a steak that tasted like it was deep fried and burnt. I was assured that they did not cook their food that way. When I asked the waitress to taste it she said will respect I'm not tasting that after you have eaten it. I wasn't charged for my food nor did I get any kind of apology. I won't be going back ever again.
I don't know what has happened to the saying 'the customer is always right'
Staff need a lot more training on customer service and the chef needs to learn to turn the flame down.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We arrived to an almost empty restaurant but still the service was slow. There was three of us we all ordered our main meal which took a long while to arrive. Mine, the fish pie I couldn't fault but sadly the other two dishes we could. My husband had the mixed grill which was missing the chicken. The borough bridge sausage was tasteless. But the main problem was our friends meal. She had ordered the "Mac &cheese our way", off the fixed price menu. This was uncooked the tomatoes should of been semi-dried but were just mini tomatoes cut in half uncooked. She didn't want to say anything but I did. I can see why they call it our way. They asked her if she would like to swap this for a different meal which she did, big mistake, she reordered bubble & squeak, well it came out & looked awful was also not cooked she left it. She was asked if she wanted yet another meal but choose not to. My husband had a sweet which was fine. When the bill came the waitress said "we haven't charged for your meal" to our friend,well considering she hadn't eaten I think not. They hadn't taken anything off for missing chicken from my husbands meal.

Would we be going back, would we be recommending the Bridge of course NOT.

1  Thank Curlytop45
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Went at about 5pm on Sunday 19th January. Firstly a waiter with questionable English ignored my wife speaking only to me. The place was almost empty but service was slow. The menu we Recieved was a Sunday only menu and very limited. We eventually had a drinks order taken. The waiter left then after a couple of minutes he returned to say that there were no roasts left, strange considering the pub was open for another 5 hours and hadn't even started evening service. My said she would have the gammon steak I said I would let him know. He left. A minute later he returned and said the gammon was off too. The table next to us ordered desserts. I heard the waiter say two of the four desserts were finished. I also heard the land lord (a short guy, bald on top and a bit Overweight) take two bookings for the evening at no point did he tell the prospective visitor that half the menu was off. Terrible management. My wife and I decided to leave the quickest the waiter moved was to get us our drinks bill. Any decent place would have apologised and gave us the £6.90 drinks bill for nothing along with the hope that we would return. No not this place, as for the food all we saw served was cheese and biscuits and the portion looked pitiful. I won't be returning. The place has no concept of customer service. Visit at your peril. I would try the wheatsheaf in Horningsea or anywhere else in Cambridge.

1  Thank Garry110364