“Fantastic”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband I dined here recently on a Saturday evening and were very impressed. The service was superb. Our food was delicious, particularly the black pudding starter, hake main course and spinach and ricotta ravioli . Thoroughly enjoyed it and would go back again.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were visiting in Cambridge on a windy but sunny Sunday & our party of four decided to look for somewhere for lunch.
As we wandered along the river side, we came to a pub, but it was pretty full with any empty tables apparently ‘reserved’. We waited patiently while waiting staff hurried about us but felt invisible after a while so left.
Starting to be concerned that maybe we should have pre-booked somewhere, the next place along the river was La Mimosa – which proved to be a revelation.
On entering we were greeted warmly, coats put on coat rack & shown to a nice table in the window with a view of the river.
Mimosa is an Italian restaurant with menu split between pizzas & more formal Italian dishes with a very well priced 3 course as an option.
Our waitress, a pleasant smallish girl with brown hair was very friendly and helpful throughout – this makes such a massive difference & helps to make a good meal really great.
We had a basket of bread with oil, garlic bread & olives to share as a starter really very nice.
We all opted for various pizzas and asked for a mixed salad (not on the menu) to share.
The pizzas were excellent although a hearty appetite is required to finish them.
The accompanying salad was just what we wanted.
We noticed some of the ‘proper’ pasta dishes being distributed & they looked very good – maybe next time as we will certainly return when next in Cambridge.
Obviously no room for desserts although they looked tempting – in fact the remaining pizza slices were given to us in a box to eat later (I wouldn't have asked but student guest did & apparently the norm).
I thought the bill was more than reasonable for starters, mains & drinks – a pleasant surprise.
On leaving, coats returned to the right people without asking and door opened for us.
A great meal with excellent service.

1  Thank 0ff_Line
stephanie s, Manager at La Mimosa, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are really pleased that you decided to walk that little bit further and found us.
Our pizza's are made on the premises and always fresh, And I am happy to hear that the waiting staff arranged a salad that wasn't on the menu.
Look forward to seeing you again when your in Cambridge maybe for the pasta !!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had a dinner party of seven on a busy Saturday night. It was an entirely positive experience. The welcome, the table setting, the menu, the service, the wine list, the quality of the food and wine, the temperature of the restaurant and the atmosphere were all we could have wanted. Coupled with the warm, friendly hosting the entire combination was, in my view, not only faultless but very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We visited Cambidge on Sunday to meet up with our son & daughter for my birthday but hadn't pre-planned where to eat so googled italian restaurants and after considering a few phoned La Mimosa. The voice at the end of the phone was very friendly but momentarily hesitant before happily accepting our booking. When we arrived we were made very welcome and shown to a nice table by the window and asked what we wanted to drink while we considered the menu. The restaurant was busy with Italian speaking customers which as usual, was very reassuring but oddly few people were sat at the tables so I asked what was going on and it was explained that the restaurant usually closed at 4pm on Sundays but they were hosting a communion party for friends but didn't want to disappoint us so told us to come along anyway! The atmosphere was homely yet in the circumstances, somewhat surreal but the food and service were both excellent and we couldn't have been made more welcome. The bill including starters sweets and drinks (beer & soft drinks rather than wine which would have bumped the prices up a touch) was under £25 a head so very reasonable and we would definitely recommend a visit in preference to the many stereotypical alternatives that can be found around the town.

Thank you for the lovely review.
We were very pleased that you enjoyed your visit even though we had a large party in the restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again when your in Cambridge.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We came across La Mimosa just by chance and since then, we can't recommend it enough. In fact, we were quite upset when they closed for the school holidays and we couldn't go there for a meal.

We've been to La Mimosa 4-5 times now with friends, family and just for a romantic night out and haven't been disappointed. I will say that it is on the pricier side (>£10 mains) but absolutely lovely.

My husband and I are vegetarian and we've pretty much tried all the dishes on the menu. My personal favourites are the gorgonzola gnocchi and the mushroom risotto. My husband is always partial to their pizza and they are nice enough to alter some of their existing ones to suit our vegetarian needs. The house red is very drinkable and my husband's favourite Italian beer Moretti is available on tap.

Our most recent trip was with my in-laws and all of us had a 3 course meal and drinks. I wasn't allowed to see the bill but as usual, the food was excellent. For starters there was an Al Greco salad, a garlic mushrooms and grilled tiger prawns. For mains we had the Ravioli Ripiene, Gnocci Al Forno and Pizza Contadino without the sausage. Again, all of them were excellent. For dessert, I had a creme caramel, my husband and his dad had an ameretto torte (specials for that day) and his mum had the affogato. I wouldn't say that it was the best creme caramel I'd ever eaten, but it was pretty good.

We've always had really good service and food at La Mimosa. There are two regular waiting staff - a tall Polish gentleman and a lady who are really nice and polite and super efficient. If you go for a lunch in the summer time , do sit outside and see the punters go by. If it is snowing outside, then sit inside and watch the pretty snow settle on everything around you.