“first visit... excellent!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2013

*very pleasant waiters :)
*fresh, tasty food (properly baked crispy pizza, fresh salad, lovely dessert -not too sweet)
*mineral water was served (as we asked) with lemon and fresh mint... perfect!
*cool, relaxing atmosphere in the garden (all you need in a warm summer evening)

I regret to discover La Mimosa just now.
I have tried most italian restaurants in Cambridge and La Mimosa is one of the best.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I came here last night for an evening out with friends - the reason for choosing this restaurant was simply due to their outdoor seating given the hot weather. There were 6 of us eating and we were joined later by 2 friends for drinks. The food was fine - nothing particularly amazing but nothing to complain about. However the service was so slow! I didn't time it but when friends questioned whether we'd ordered drinks as it was so long ago since we'd ordered tells you something. We ended up chasing the order up with the manager but it didn't seem to speed things up. The waitress simply said 'the bar's really busy'. On a warm Friday evening you'd think more staff would be on duty.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We've walked past many times, but decided to stop for lunch. There's always a lot of tables with 'reserved' signs on, and notices telling you to wait outside to be seated - feels a bit offputting. We sat outdoors in the hot sun which was lovely, ordered a couple of salad starters (both fine), then a couple of pizzas which were ok but not amazing. Both appeared a bit bland on flavour and stingy with the toppings - when compared even to a pizza expres pizza, they were short on flavour. I couldn't comment on whether the pizza bases are actually made in house or frozen as I do not know either way, but they had the taste and flavour of not being freshly made today, very chewy. Desert was fine, and the £19 bottle of wine we ordered was also fine but worth £5.95 in Tesco. Service, whilst never rude or lacking, was a little surly and disinterested. It feels like a restaurant where they want you in and out quickly, and aren't too worried about the rest. View of the river and the nice outdoors seating makes it worthwhile on a good day, but you'd get a better pizza and better value in Pizza Express, which is a shame.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

To be fair to this restaurant it was a very warm day, in an extended warm spell of weather, and the restaurant was full outside. It took about 15 minutes to take our orders. After this nearly everything went very well. Due to the warm weather the draught beer had sold out - but bottled beer was readily available.

The crustini starters were a good way to start the meal. Out mains covered lasagne, sea food pasta, and chicken with vegetables. All were delicious.

Prices are mid-range. This is not the cheapest Italian you will find, but it serves food up there with the best, and has a great location by the river. Staff were very friendly and efficient, once orders were taken. The restaurant does call itself a "slow food restaurant" - but the food was no slower than usual.

Would recommend, and would come again.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having lived in Cambridge for awhile but only recently discovered La Mimosa on my most recent trip back, I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. Here is a beautiful restaurant serving up very good quality Italian food situated directly on the River Cam on a part of the river that is slightly off the main drag, making it more calm and peaceful for an evening dine. I recommend giving it a try. I'll give you a few more details on the two most important parts of the experience now (the food and the service):

FOOD: Very good. We started off with the bread and olives appetizer. I do not like olives, but I actually found these ones to be kind of tasty, so that's really saying something! I then had the pizza del contadino which had peperoni, mushrooms, sweet peppers, chili, and garlic. It was slightly on the spicy side but very tasty nonetheless. I also tried the spaghetti alla bolognese. I would say that it was good but not exceptional. Finally, we finished with a piece of chocolate torta. It was very moist and delicious, though the tiramisu looked great, and I'd probably recommend you try that if you can only have one.

SERVICE: Exceptional. The waitress was very attentive and all food came out VERY quickly.

So why only 4-stars and not 5? There's just a little something lacking from this restaurant that keeps it from being truly exceptional. The food, the decor, everything is very good but with a lot of competition among Italian restaurants, it is not the BEST that I've ever had and possibly not even the BEST in Cambridge, but even if it's not, it's certainly up there near the top, and the beautiful ambiance definitely makes it worth a visit.