“Disappointed”

Ranked #11 of 19 High Wycombe B&B and Inns
ireland
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

The guest house is ran by a lovely foreign lady, she is very pleasant and welcoming! The same can not be said of the owners. They demanded that my bill be paid 2 days before check out!, I have traveled the world and never had to pay before I checked out, my credit card had been given as a booking deposit. The place is clean and warm, however I will never set foot in it again. Shame on the owners.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here with my family.The rooms were emaculate,could'nt fault them at all.Infact it was better than some of the hotels we've stayed in.The breakfast was very good.The bathroom was very clean too.The children loved the amosphere and we would love to come and stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Sumeet T
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Very clean, hostess very welcoming. Bedroom good size and had everything one could need. It is a bed and breakfast in a quiet residential area. Convenient for route I was taking. Had a little trouble with filling kettle - good sized kettle didn't fit under tap sink, so used bath taps - and it was difficult to tell it was switched to shower, so got unexpectedly damp!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Burgundyfan100
Bewdley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

We have recently spent two nights here and would thoroughly recommend it. The welcome was warm, rooms spotlessly clean with a bottle of water supplied each day and continental breakfast good
We would go again for sure

Room Tip: Our room was at the back and very quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jane C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Wanting a trip into London I found a voucher for this b.b looked it up and thought will give it a go. Arrived at about 8 on the Saturday night to a very warm welcome and shown straight to a very clean room. Had everything that was needed for a stay. Had a very pleasant nights sleep and the shower was lovely and powerful in the morning. We had to fill in our form for breakfast the night before. To us wasn't a problem. We went down to breakfast to find our breakfast freshly put out for us. A very pleasant experience. We left soon after and the lady even helped me to cut out a label from my top. Will highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank King648
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I spent 4 nights at this delightful bed and breakfast. Breakfast was a great Continental Breakfast, with a wide choice of food, plus the option of room service for breakfast which i found to be a nice touch. Very clean and beds were comfortable, would stay again and would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank steve b
Worcester, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights on a business trip. The good things about the B&B are : cheap, clean, free internet, free parking, good access to surrounding businesses.

Service/arrival:
My coilleague and I arrived early at mid-day but we were allowed to check-in to our 2 rooms and my colleague to change out of his motorbike leathers into business clothes. Everything was explained to us by the Housekeeper who was not a natural English speaker but managed to communicate with us very clearly.

Room:
Cleaned very thoroughly, but a strange smell lingered. I'm really not sure what the smell was. It was not unpleasant but just odd.... a bit like the smell if you go to visit your Granny!! I had a single room (No. 9) and there was plenty of space but according to my colleague (No. 8) some of the other rooms are more cramped. The furniture was a little basic (IKEA style) but perfectly practical and clean. I had a desk to work at with free wired broadband internet access. The bathroom was clean with nice hot shower and heated towel rail to keep the room warm.

My room didn't have full sized mirrors, just a table mirror and a mirror over the bathroom sink.

Noise:
The sound proofing within the building is not too good. Being right at the top, this was not so bad for me but I think on the first floor and ground floor it would have been much noisier. My room also had a Velux window. This meant that when it rained heavily in the night, the sound of the rain on the angled window was quite loud.

Breakfast:
As explained on the website, the breakfast is continental style. And really, for £50 per night for a single room you can't expect more (Holiday Inn up the road is £115 including breakfast). You have to inform the Housekeeper the night before what you require which requires some thought (!) but this is not the first time I've had to do this in the UK. Although the website ways breakfast is served in the room, there is actually a small breakfast room and as long as everyone does not want breakfast at the same time, you can choose to eat there. My colleague and I ate breakfast at 8am on each of the 3 days we were there. We could help ourselves to more cereal, cold meat, cheese and juice. Coffee was a lovely cafetiere of fresh coffee. Great. The Housekeeper (Flora) was very pleasant and welcoming each morning.

Location:
Good access by car to local ameneties. Co-op just 2 minutes walk away. Restaurants such as Frankie and Bennies about 10 minutes walk.

Overall: for the price, don't set your expectations too high but this is really a great little place for £50/night. Much better value than some of the other establishments in the area who charge far more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor (room 9 or 10) for quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business