“Made to feel very welcome and very clean.”

Malvern Guest House
Ranked #11 of 19 High Wycombe B&B and Inns
“Made to feel very welcome and very clean.”
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Wanting a trip into London I found a voucher for this b.b looked it up and thought will give it a go. Arrived at about 8 on the Saturday night to a very warm welcome and shown straight to a very clean room. Had everything that was needed for a stay. Had a very pleasant nights sleep and the shower was lovely and powerful in the morning. We had to fill in our form for breakfast the night before. To us wasn't a problem. We went down to breakfast to find our breakfast freshly put out for us. A very pleasant experience. We left soon after and the lady even helped me to cut out a label from my top. Will highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank King648

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I spent 4 nights at this delightful bed and breakfast. Breakfast was a great Continental Breakfast, with a wide choice of food, plus the option of room service for breakfast which i found to be a nice touch. Very clean and beds were comfortable, would stay again and would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank steve b
Worcester, UK
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights on a business trip. The good things about the B&B are : cheap, clean, free internet, free parking, good access to surrounding businesses.

Service/arrival:
My coilleague and I arrived early at mid-day but we were allowed to check-in to our 2 rooms and my colleague to change out of his motorbike leathers into business clothes. Everything was explained to us by the Housekeeper who was not a natural English speaker but managed to communicate with us very clearly.

Room:
Cleaned very thoroughly, but a strange smell lingered. I'm really not sure what the smell was. It was not unpleasant but just odd.... a bit like the smell if you go to visit your Granny!! I had a single room (No. 9) and there was plenty of space but according to my colleague (No. 8) some of the other rooms are more cramped. The furniture was a little basic (IKEA style) but perfectly practical and clean. I had a desk to work at with free wired broadband internet access. The bathroom was clean with nice hot shower and heated towel rail to keep the room warm.

My room didn't have full sized mirrors, just a table mirror and a mirror over the bathroom sink.

Noise:
The sound proofing within the building is not too good. Being right at the top, this was not so bad for me but I think on the first floor and ground floor it would have been much noisier. My room also had a Velux window. This meant that when it rained heavily in the night, the sound of the rain on the angled window was quite loud.

Breakfast:
As explained on the website, the breakfast is continental style. And really, for £50 per night for a single room you can't expect more (Holiday Inn up the road is £115 including breakfast). You have to inform the Housekeeper the night before what you require which requires some thought (!) but this is not the first time I've had to do this in the UK. Although the website ways breakfast is served in the room, there is actually a small breakfast room and as long as everyone does not want breakfast at the same time, you can choose to eat there. My colleague and I ate breakfast at 8am on each of the 3 days we were there. We could help ourselves to more cereal, cold meat, cheese and juice. Coffee was a lovely cafetiere of fresh coffee. Great. The Housekeeper (Flora) was very pleasant and welcoming each morning.

Location:
Good access by car to local ameneties. Co-op just 2 minutes walk away. Restaurants such as Frankie and Bennies about 10 minutes walk.

Overall: for the price, don't set your expectations too high but this is really a great little place for £50/night. Much better value than some of the other establishments in the area who charge far more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor (room 9 or 10) for quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank rammblings101
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed there for 1 night on a business trip. The good things about the hotel are : cheap, clean, you may even get an access to a nice private garden

Everything else is terrible.

Service/arrival:
I arrived at 23:30 directly from a flight. The owner was informed of a late arrival, however it took a few minutes for an aged Indian lady in pajamas apparently to wake up and open the door. Perhaps it was getting out of the bed that made her angry, but she was extremely rude during both the check in and check out. I mean, I rarely see this sort of rudeness these days.

Room:
Cleaned very thoroughly, but still smelly. The smell came form the big brown mold stain on the room ceiling. They obviously tried to hide the smell by heavy use of air fresheners. The combination of the mold smell and a sweet scent of an air freshener actually made things worse.
The room/bathroom was cold, I couldn't find a usual temperature control thing in the room. The shower water in the morning wasn't hot enough to compensate for a cold temperature in the bathroom.
My room didn't have full sized mirrors, so if you/your lady likes to see herself before getting to the business day this place is not for you.

Noise:
I was awaken by the same lady talking over the phone with the her rude and unpleasant voice. Additionally, if you end up with getting a room on the ground floor (as I did) you will be end up hearing tenants from above walking, flushing their toilets, coming down the stairs and saying Hello/Good buy to the owner-lady from early morning/

Breakfast:
They serve breakfast in your room only. You need to order the breakfast an evening before. Not an easy task considering a very limited choice and without actually seeing the food being offered. I've got an impression they don't have hot/warm food served there for the breakfast, only cereals and buns.

Room Tip: You don't have many options, but upper floors seem to be much quieter. I would try finding anoth...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Traveler271828

Travelers are raving about these High Wycombe hotels

Reviewed August 24, 2011

Friendly welcome, the room I stayed in was exceptionally clean which was mirrorred by the rest of the guest house. Wide choice of continental breakfast, I was suitably impressed, would stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Vicki15anderson
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 28, 2011

This hotel was an overnight stop for us, and it was very easy to get to within High Wycombe and to find. The owners were pleasant and helpful, the rooms bright and clean and spacious. The breakfast was bountiful and the crossaints delicious.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Jane33804
Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2011

This b&b was brilliant.

On arrival at the B&B at 7:30pm we were advised they had 2 spare rooms and we could take our pick of either. When being shown the first room it was perfect. Spacious, clean, modern and even had an outdoor patio. We were then given the menu for breakfast the next day and told it would be served to our room. 5 minutes later fresh milk appeared for us to make a cup of tea and we were asked if we needed anything.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff here, they were friendly and very helpful.

We'd recommend a stay here to anyone looking for fantastic value for money, homely feeling and it's very close to High Wycombe Judo Centre.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple