“My First Visit to The Tree”

Tree at Cadmore End
Ranked #13 of 19 High Wycombe B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“My First Visit to The Tree”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was in the High Wycombe area on business and chose to stay at The Tree for three nights on the high recommendation of a friend. I stayed there from 19th to 21st November. However, to begin with, my arrival at the hotel/restaurant was met with extreme disappointment. When I arrived there, there was nobody at the reception. After waiting for quite a while, I was grateful - to eventually be attended to by a gentleman who showed me to my room. Much to my dismay, the room was cold without any heating. When he switched the heating on, it obviously took a while to warm up. Although these are little things, it does make a BIG difference, especially to a first time visitor.

Needless to say, the one redeeming factor was this gracious Gentleman who attended to me on the final day of my stay at The Tree and who introduced himself to me as Dave. If I may add here, his helpful and ever mindful attention to every detail, made a big difference to the overall atmosphere and ambience of the restaurant. I left with a good-feel factor at the end of the day and would definitely visit again on my next visit in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012

mick,lin and jon from oxford had a wonderful sunday lunch, food excellant,english and indian,fantastic choice as much as you can eat?
they sat us by the lovely fire, nice and cosey,staff could,nt do enough for us, well be going back soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel on a deal .The hotel is fairly close to Marlow . We were greeted with a very friendly welcome and escorted to our room . Accomodation was pretty good . We had an evening meal in the restaurant . They appear to have a carvery on a Sunday afternoon which appears very popular. The menu in the evening offers a range of English and Indian options . I had the Anglo Indian Railway Lamb curry which was excellent . My wife had duck which again was very good . There was a most welcoming fire and the service was very good. The breakfast was a little disappointing compared to the evening meal but enjoyable nonetheless. Good service again. We visited the lovely town of Marlow and then went on to Wycombe . An enjoyable stay .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We are struggling to find a decent place to take clients in Feb 2013 for lunch prior to a visit to Twickenham so, finding this place on tripadvisor booked. Luckily I had an unexpected reason to travel south so i thought I'd give it a go "just in case". Now, this place isnt all that bad, but fell short of what I was expecting (I did turn up 20 mins early):
1. When we entered ths place was freezing.
2. I can't stand being called "mate" by people I have not met.
3. Whilst I am no fuddy duddy the oppressive dance music blaring out when we arrived persisted
4. The ham with the chips eggs and ham was refeormed ham rolled up and hidden under eggs. Is it that hard to buy decent ham? If you can't don't offer it in your menu.
5. Toilets were unpleasant.
So - booking in February cancelled.
Sorry. Not good enough. Good enough for me but not for clients.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeddediah
Somerset
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have stayed at the Tree on several occasions. Not only is it very convenient for us, as it's very close to the M 40, Marlow and Thame, but the staff there are also very friendly, helpful and obliging. We always find that the rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet, ensuring a good night's sleep. For us, one plus factor is the bedrooms are also relatively spacious; we dislike some of the chain hotels where the rooms are so tiny there is hardly enough room for us and our luggage. There is internet access throughout the hotel which is another must for us. The bedrooms we have stayed in have been renovated, but it has to be said that the bathrooms desperately need to be modernised.
The bar and restaurant area is attractively decorated. The breakfast menu is very varied and the food and coffee is freshly prepared. The service is always excellent and the chef is prepared to make minor changes to the proposed menu. The dinner menu has a good choice of western and oriental cuisine. My husband loves the spicy dishes, and I always find something non- spicy to enjoy. An effort is always made with the presentation of the food.
My husband enjoys the draught Wethereds bitter, and also finds the wine list has a good selection, at reasonable prices.
If you want four or five star accommodation then The Tree is not for you, but if you are looking for a no frills good value B&B, pub, and restaurant; then The Tree is hard to beat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CindyAnn37
Cheshire
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed on business at The Tree. The rooms were clean and tidy with a mix of newly painted walls and tired looking dark wood furniture. A modern art picture was upside down hung on the wall (unless the signature should be top left)
I ate in the restaurant in the evening, and having read previous contributions had the Anglo Indian Railway curry which was very nice.
Breakfast was a mix of English and Indian food (which is where my confusion stems from) I had english but in hindsight I wished I had tried the Indian offerings or the scrambled egg with smoked salmon.
I would stay again and look forward to trying some of the other offerings on the menu

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
pinner
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have been here with my (local) family including 4 year old grandson on several occasions. Both the sunday buffet and the normal a la carte luncheon are well above the average. At the former, small and frequent replenishments means that everything is hot and not left keeping warm for too long, and the dishes on offer seem to be constantly varied so that the menu is not repetitive. The mix of English and Indian dishes work well together . I never mind 'going there again'.
I agree with other comments about the courteous staff - always someone around when you want them but not intrusive.
I would that there were more places of this stature.

Room Tip: Not stayed, so cannot comment. But those that we have seen look pleasant and comfortable.