“They will rip you off if you let them...........”
Review of Buckingham Hotel

Buckingham Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 High Wycombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I was working on an IT contract in Marlow and thought the Contractors Hotel would be an ideal place to base myself out of during the week.

I paid GBP160.89 for a single room for 5 nights from Sunday. I arrived at the Buckingham hotel to check in, paid for the full amount then someone pointed me to my room. I arrived at 8pm and the room was sweltering. I opened the window and turned the radiator controls down. First impressions were that the room wasn't too bad for what I was paying - it was certainly rough around the edges, but nothing to complain about for the price. It had a flat screen TV, WiFi, fridge, ensuite shower and towels were provided.

All sounds pretty good, eh? So why the two stars?

Well, Wednesday night I returned from work at 8pm, cold and soaked, and there was no heating on. Checked the radiator controls, but nothing was happening. I was freezing most of the night and when I did eventually nod off, my shivering woke me up again. At 6.30am there was the sound of knocking pipes and the radiator slowly sprung back to life. I complained, and was informed someone would look at the timer settings. I went to booking.com and booked the following week at the hotel, and asked in the comments section if I could have the same room. I was then informed that the room I was in was actually GBP47 per night and that I had been given a free upgrade (first I knew about it) and would I like to pay the difference. I asked why they were asking for GBP47 per night for mid-week bookings when the Buckingham Hotel website states clearly that single rooms are GBP37 on a weekend, but they never responded. Their website also states that there are special rates for those that book an extended stay but again I didn't get a response when I asked what the criteria was. On the Thursday, I got in about 9pm - again cold and soaked and again there was no heating on. I tried to cancel my booking from my laptop, but I think they blocked my MAC address. I had until a minute to midnight to cancel the booking otherwise I would have been charged for the first night. Fortunately, I could still access their Wifi via my phone, so I cancelled the booking and found a lovely, warm, friendly B&B in Marlow for GBP40 per night. Marlow is great, and I feel safe walking around after dark, something I certainly didn't feel walking around Desborough Avenue or West Wycombe Road.

Other issues that were wrong with the room are below -

-Bathroom light did not switch of.
-Noise from the neighbouring room bathroom/shower/extractor fan. Not nice at 5 am.
-Knocking heating pipes - generally at 6.30 am, so usually just after the extractor fan from next door has switched off.
-Broken blind (doesn't help with room windows being directly opposite and the bathroom light not working)
-Stains on the carpet.
-Sheet didn't fit the bed so I would end up sleeping on bare mattress.
-Shower did work and was hot, but the water sprayed everywhere
-No shelves in the shower

-The fire-door at the top of the stairs was permanently left open.

I am now staying in a considerably nicer area with much nicer accommodation with friendly hosts and am not paying that much more. I would suggest ringing around rather than staying in this hovel.

Room Tip: The local pub has lap dancing on a Thursday night (possibly Friday and Saturday too but I didn't...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BrightonWendz

Reviewed January 31, 2014

So after a cold long walk in the rain me and my partner finally arrived at the hotel. We had made a reservation earlier on that day and received a text confirming our booking. We waited in the reception patiently until it was our turn to speak. I asked if I could pay by cash for our room which was only £37. He then requested a further £100 a charge which wasn't stated on the initial booking. I said I didn't have £100 but we can leave him with a credit card which had some money on it but not enough to pay for our room. With that he said that if we wanted the room we need to hand him £137 CASH IN HAND. With the rude demanding and. Intimidating staff we decided to leave immediately.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank KayleighStottor
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have stayed in several different places in the area since April and have found this one to be the neatest and cleanest one with the added benefit of being cheap compared to other places.
I would always choose to book here and recomend it to all I know.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I really don't understand the negative reviews for this hotel.
I stayed here for 1 night over Christmas in a single room.
The room itself was such a good size for a single and contained a lot more than I would usually expect from a budget hotel:
Iron and ironing board
A decent Vidal Sassoon hairdryer
Safe
A tv bigger than my own!
Tea making facilities
A fridge - very handy!
Free working wifi
And very important for most women, a well lit mirror with plug sockets right underneath, plus a full length mirror too.

The receptionist was very helpful and there's a BP garage just opposite with a Tesco express sized shop in it

I would really recommend staying here.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2013

There seem to be 3 parts to this hotel - all with different price points, B & B, small bedsit units,(annexe) and Contractors Hotel.
I stayed at the Annex - which was fabulous. Recently renovated ..... room had a kitchen sink, fridge and microwave .... fabulous !! Oh flat screen TV and fast wifi as well !!! Off street parking.
Reception man was cheerful, friendly and efficient. And all at a great price - I'll be back !

Room Tip: Recently renovated one
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Almostgreynomad
Reviewed December 2, 2013

stayed here for over a week and stayed in a lovely apartment walking distance to the town
very comfortable for 3 of us working during the day
nice parking spot
fully fitted kitchen including washing machine and microwave
TVs could do with being a bit larger and one of our party had no TV in room
not really a problem though

Room Tip: bring an ashtray for outside
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed here last night. Lovely little hotel. Stayed in a standard single which was clean, tidy and spacious. The room and bathroom were mordern and had tea, coffee, hair dryer, TV, iron and board. Would definately stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo