“Microwave, fridge and sink - all in room .... fabulous !”
Review of Buckingham Hotel

Buckingham Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 High Wycombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 3, 2013

There seem to be 3 parts to this hotel - all with different price points, B & B, small bedsit units,(annexe) and Contractors Hotel.
I stayed at the Annex - which was fabulous. Recently renovated ..... room had a kitchen sink, fridge and microwave .... fabulous !! Oh flat screen TV and fast wifi as well !!! Off street parking.
Reception man was cheerful, friendly and efficient. And all at a great price - I'll be back !

Room Tip: Recently renovated one
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Almostgreynomad

Reviewed December 2, 2013

stayed here for over a week and stayed in a lovely apartment walking distance to the town
very comfortable for 3 of us working during the day
nice parking spot
fully fitted kitchen including washing machine and microwave
TVs could do with being a bit larger and one of our party had no TV in room
not really a problem though

Room Tip: bring an ashtray for outside
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed here last night. Lovely little hotel. Stayed in a standard single which was clean, tidy and spacious. The room and bathroom were mordern and had tea, coffee, hair dryer, TV, iron and board. Would definately stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Booked on line , turned up late as working on a nearby movie set , cheerful staff , room OK .It 'aint the Hilton , but for £50 squid a night for the two of us , two single beds , tea facilities , hairdryer , iron and board, shower , sky TV and big enough bathroom . No restaurant , but a bar with a TV too - what's not to like .Supermarket and gas station across the road
We left at silly o'clock every morning and returned late evening , covering the room with mud from the film set . Room cleaned every day with no mention of the mess we made . Booking again .

Room Tip: Cheap , basic ,tidy
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had travelled from Northern Ireland with my daughter to drop her off at uni and booked a twin room after a 400 mile journey from cairnryan .Got to hotel and the only room was a double . Offered a room 20 doors up which looked like a bed sit . Declined both and went to the ambassador hotel opposite , tired , annoyed and angry that the last night with my daughter had started on a bad footing . Rather sleep on a bench than in this "hotel ".

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Booked this hotel as we were meeting friends for a day out and overnight stay. Parking for 4 cars at the front of the hotel. There was an arch to the right with car park behind so naturally, we assumed you drive through arch to car park - WRONG. We pulled onto pavement to drive through only to find a van blocking it. My husband went and asked if the van could be moved and was told no, we don't have the keys. They then said the entrance to car park was round the back. We had to reverse back onto the busy A40, drive further up road and turn right then right again. A simple sign/diagram next too the hotel sign would make this perfectly clear.

Then we checked in and paid for breakfast too. As all advertising say it has a restaurant, we enquired where that was only to be told, there isn't one. We said the website says there is but they just reiterated that there wasn't one, we used to have one. yes, they do serve breakfast though. Therefore it is a B & B.

We were taken to our rooms. At first glance, the hotel appeared recently decorated.These were in house next door. One room was on the first floor. My husband and I were then led to our room. I thought "we are going to be in the attic". Little did I know that's exactly where we ended up. I actually said OMG as the door was partially opened - it couldn't be completely opened as it hit the bedside unit. Be was against the wall and whoever slept that side had the ceiling rising at about 40° above their head. You couldn't breathe in there and the tiny window mad no difference when opened. The pillows had no covers on and were brown - I felt sick. I get claustrophobia and was just holding it together. I stayed in the room about two minutes and then just had to get out. I was desperately holding back the tears. No way could I stay in the room even for five minutes.

We were given a slightly bigger room back in the main house downstairs. This had no pillowcases either but at least the pillows looked a little cleaner. Kettle had to be moved over to TV area to be plugged in. Only UHT whole milk. No chocolate or biscuits or water. You could just get kettle under tap to fill but to remove it from sink, half the water was spilt. No mirror over table/dressing table. There was a fridge. Heated towel rail in bathroom was removable, blind in bathroom broke. Shower head looked horrid as did the mouldy walls of the shower. Didn't like walking in bare feet on carpet as it was so badly stained and dirty. The rooms are not sound proof despite website description. Lots of thumping from upstairs, doors banging, trains, traffic.

We didn't want a full English breakfast. Not usually a problem as always selection of yogurts, fruit and cereals along with white or brown toast - NOT HERE. Just a few cereals, only whole milk, cup of tea not a pot, white bread only, had to go to buffet table and use large mug for milk in tea. Whilst waitress serving breakfast was ok, she seemed distinctly miserable. We paid £7.95 for a few pieces of soft toast, a small packet of cereal and a mediocre cup of tea.

There really wasn't much going for this hotel. The guys on reception were very pleasant and wanted to please. The owners have got greedy and tried to cram too many rooms in and have not paid attention to the details that make or break a good hotel. A shame as it could be OK. They seem to have thought a coat of paint and modern sign outside would fool people. I found myself wanting to get out. How someone could stay for two weeks as in one of the reviews, I really don't know.

It's a roof over your head and I have actually seen worse but I would advise you to go elsewhere unless desperate.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lyn B
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked into the Buckingham Annex, which contrary to the name is actually a good 5-7 minute walk down the road. The rooms reminded me of very basic small uni halls rooms. There was a small en-suite, clean linen and a small TV with freeview. The place itself is on a very busy main road so you can hear traffic from the rooms and parking is not easy. I wouldn't stay more than one night! I can't say all was bad though, their redeeming feature is their lovely welcoming staff!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends