“No frills”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in High Wycombe
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“No frills”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here due to only hotel with available rooms for the night we required.
First problem was lack of parking, both
On the hotel carpark , or on the road outside, resulting in having to trek some way away with my luggage.
On entering the hotel, first impressions were not favourable, and on my way to my room, the feeling got worse with the state of the corridor carpets and wallpaper... Tatty is the word I would use.
On entering my room it didn't get any better. Small to say the least, cheap furniture and a wardrobe that couldn't open fully due to the end of the bed ending about a foot away.
I pulled the blind down in the window which came off, luckily I was able to fix it back up.
Had great difficulty in connecting to the wi-fi so have up in the end and watched TV.... Thankfully it worked !
Bathroom seemed clean, and was warm, so far so good. Shower was small but to be fair was quite powerful. Then I noticed the water wasn't draining away and so started to fill the tray, had to stop showering otherwise the floor would have been flooded.
Breakfast passed.... Just !!
Would I return - doubtful, thankfully it was just for one nite.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mikeybabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed in this place a few months ago and it was good. We had to be in Wycombe again today so rather than trying to find somewhere else I booked in again. The place was very empty this time with only one other car in the car park. The room is good as is the bathroom.
It's about a five minute walk from the town centre. Reception is manned 24 hours a day so there is no problem coming and going; and it makes you feel happier about leaving your car in the car park.

So with a good room, car parking, wifi and breakfast this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caverkat
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have stayed at the hotel several times in the past two months. The staff are very helpful and although the rooms are compact the pricing is reasonable. I was there on business and the free wi-fi was a welcome extra. The décor is a bit dated but the rooms are kept clean and the beds are comfortable. The reakfast is standard fare and I think that the landlord is missing a trick by not providing restaurant facilities in the evening.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Bristol
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here over Christmas. Was my first time staying at the Abbey Lodge and was very impressed. Extremely friendly staff, comfortable room, breakfast was included in the already very reasonably priced room, ample parking, free wifi and great location. What more could you ask for!!
I imagine that snobs would pick holes in all sorts of things, but I found the hotel clean and comfortable. The bed was really comfy and the room was well heated for such a cold time of year, and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I think that we were on the top floor - Room 40
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

When we come to Wycombe to visit our son we always make a booking here, staff are friendly, beds are comfortable, rooms are clean and the breakfast is one of the best.

We have now stayed here 5 times and always get our choice of room, Room 40!

Close to the town centre, uni and the train station it ticks all the boxes.

The prices are good too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Essex
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

On arrival the manager was very pleasant. The room was adequate but very cold, I was tired and had had a long day/journey so was looking forward to a nice hot meal followed by a relaxing hot bath, a bit of TV and bed. This is where it started to go wrong.
There is no restaurant at the hotel which the manager did apologise for as it is still listed on last minute.com so had to walk into town (5 mins down a very steep hill, not good in heels!) although there is a choice of takeaway menus behind reception (some of which deliver to the hotel apparently). On arriving back in the room (still very cold) I did turn the thermostat up on the radiator, I noticed the bathroom was very dirty and the ceiling and window covered in mould. The bedroom was dirty and fortunately I didn't see the culprit responsible for all the cobwebs but they wouldn't have been out of place in "I'm a celebrity", so big you could swing from them! The tv only had 2 channels working, bbc1 and bbc2. I did mention to the manager and he did offer to come to my room to retune the tv, which I declined as I just wanted to get to bed. It was late so I decided against a bath. Big mistake!
The bed was comfortable albeit there were hairs on the bed linen (not mine). On waking in the morning I decided to have a shower. NO HOT WATER, only cold!! The towels were threadbare and had holes in them. The blind in the bedroom was frayed.
I wasn't sure whether or not to attempt breakfast as unsure of the cleanliness of the kitchen. I did however venture down to check it out, it was ok to be fair. Choice of hot bacon, mushrooms, beans, scrambled egg, toast, orange juice and cereal, tea or coffee. The decor is tired and dirty and needs updating but the staff were pleasant. On checking out I did mention all of the above to the receptionist and the manager and said I wasn't happy about paying, they basically laughed at me! Pros: free parking, hair dryer, tea/coffee facilities in room.
Cons: dirty, cold, tv not working properly, no hot water, tired.
Would I stay again: definitely not, would I recommend: definitely not.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these High Wycombe hotels

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Visited for a one night stay on Saturday. Very convenient for Heathrow. Free parking. Friendly reception staff. Given a triple room for two of us. Beds very comfortable . Good quality linen. Comfy pillows. Tea and coffee facilities in room. Major issue was the cleanliness of the bathroom. Sink and taps spotless good clean towels quality toilet paper. BUT the toilet suffered from long term neglect in terms of a good scrub and the shower also needed attention. Breakfast was good.
The state of the toilet and shower was so obvious it could not be missed by the staff. It seemed such a shame when there were many good qualities to the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4
Clifton Lodge Hotel
Clifton Lodge Hotel
#12 of 14 in High Wycombe

Been to Abbey Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!