“Clean, comfortable, friendly!”
Review of Town House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aylesbury
Town House B&B
Ranked #29 of 41 Aylesbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Having read the previous reviews (after booking) I was somewhat dubious about what to expect. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

The landlady is lovely, very friendly and helpful. The room was warm, homely and comfortable with clean, soft towels and tea and coffee making facilities.

I rarely stay in rooms without en suite but the bathrooms were very clean and despite being busy there was no waiting around!

As a woman travelling alone the comments about security worried me, but there was no problem with the locks and I felt quite safe.

Breakfast is continental and there's a decent choice of breads, cheese, ham and cereals in a nice communal kitchen area.

Overall very satisfied, great budget B&B!

• Stayed: August 2013
landlady0129, Owner at Town House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Hi I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, it was nice to meet you, and I look forward to seeing you in the future if you are ever back this way again :)

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I paid £30 for a single room and was lucky to be upgraded to a double with en suite which most rooms are not. The place is acceptably clean and the landlady was nice. Best to ignore the fact breakfast is included as it was continental and very basic - for someone on here to have said it was great says a lot about the reviewer's taste buds! You basically get what you pay for here - it is not top class accommodation and you don't pay for this so shouldn't complain unfairly when it does not meet such high standards.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for your review, I was away on holiday when you stayed, but pleased to see you were well looked after with a free up-grade. The continetal breakfast is what you would expect brand named cereals, croissants ,toast, marmalade and jams, yougurt, cheese, ham, fresh fruit and tinned fruit and tea or coffee. Which for the price of £30 I think is excellent value for the money, sorry to read you did not agree with this.

Mrs Irving
Owner

Reviewed May 27, 2013

After pushing past very overgrown ivy that was covered in cobwebs to get to the front door, we were shown to our room. It was basically clean but dusty around the edges. Bed was clearly old which showed in the very lumpy mattress. Door lock was very flimsy so would not like sleeping alone here.

Bathrooms are clean but not en-suite. Not sure I enjoyed stepping onto a communal sponge bath mat!

Breakfast was pre packaged croissants and brioche or a delve in the dirty, overstocked fridge. We were not sure if the food in the fridge was for communal use as it was full of half eaten pizza, sausage, multiple mid use margarines, etc. I believe it may have been food left over from mid week stays but this was very unhygienic. The communal??? milk was available but as it was in the fridge with a smoked sausage just lying on the shelf, my morning tea had an unusual aroma and taste of smoked german sausage.

Tip - Try not to touch any drawers in the kitchen as a few are only just hanging in there.

I did not expect to have to wash my own breakfast dishes for £50 per night but did not feel right just walking away without clearing up.

Check out was simple enough as you just left your key in your room and the door propped open. As it is cash on arrival, which I can only assume this is because the owner does not wish to face you after your stay, this left no opportunity to allow her to respond to our concerns.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Emma F
landlady0129, Owner at Town House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear guests, thankyou for your review, I have had the ivy trimmed right back so it will not cause any further problem. I am sorry to hear you felt you had to wash up I did tell you to leave it and I would do it in the morning. I did also mention the fact that I do not live on site,that is the reason you did not see me in the morning, not because I was choosing to avoid you. I am sorry to hear you felt this way.
Mrs Irving
Landlady

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The owner is very friendly, but that's the only positive point. My bedroom had a direct view at the cemetery accross the street, the floor was dirty, the towels were changed every two days or so, the bedding was a misery and the lock on the door a pitiful excuse for security. I had to prepare my own breakfast by helping myself in the fridge (and be cautious about the food's expiration dates). Other guests were making a mess of the shared bathrooms, I had to clean up after them since the owner doesn't live on the premices. Last but not the least: I spent my last night COMPLETELY ALONE at the B&B. All the other guests were gone and the owner didn't even showed up to make sure I was safe, or to check the front and back doors' locks.
All in one: I would not recommend this B&B for a woman travelling alone. Other guests were drinking heavily in their rooms!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Elektra173
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Four nights of misery. Cash only upfront, and owner did not respond to complaints with any sort of satisfaction. The self-serve kitchen and fridge were filthy, the food was ok, if you could eat it, not knowing how long it had been there. YOU do your own cooking and cleaning of kitchen use. Food may not be there if you are last to make it to the kitchen. The beds were as comfortable as a gravel road, and the water pressure in the room was non-existent. The place was like an oven, with little ventilation. The location was fine, but you may be better off sleeping in the cemetery across the road.

Room Tip: Spend the money and go elsewhere, unless you expect nothing.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank edmontoninuit
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We Stayed for 1 night, the room cost 60 pounds and had to be paid for upfront which I find strange. The ower greated us and showed us the room and explained about the toilet even though there were two signs in the bathroom, we was also shown the kitchen where we was told we can us microwave etc and shown cereals for breakfast. The room was basic but ok it had everything that you would need. The shower was ok not much water pressure but it did its job. The owner does not stay on site and so once you have been shown your room that's it, there is no ongoing hospitality.
The breakfast was a slight let down as you was just expected to do as you wanted when we entered the breakfast room it was empty, on a dresser was a mountain of cereal boxes and packets of crousants and muffins. We guesed the juice was in the fridge but it was not clear if it was guest usage. There was no meats,cheeses or youghurts. Although the owner lives off site I just feel for 60pounds a night that the breakfast should have been better and laid out with hams etc. We would stay again if a better breakfast was provided for the 60 pounds.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Louise G
Reviewed April 20, 2012

This is a three story town house (as the name suggests!) on the edge of Aylesbury, but only a short walk into the centre. It's just down from a 24 hour Tesco - very handy - & not far from the Leisure Centre.

The owner, who was very pleasant and friendly, does not live on site but meets you to show you to your room.

There are two shared bathrooms on the middle floor. I don't think any rooms are en-suite (mine wasn't) but this was reflected in the price, which was considerably less than other places (Bucks is quite an expensive area of the country).

The room I had was downstairs at the front of the house, so there was some traffic noise, but this didn't bother me. On the second night that I was there, I was disturbed by one of the other guests coming in very late and talking at full volume (in Spanish?) right outside my room. Basically, unluckily an inconsiderate guest!

One of the big plus points (for me) is that there is a kitchen/dining room on the basement level, where you make your own (unsupervised) continental breakfast (fridge with milk, cereals, fruit, bread, cheese, ham, jams etc). You can also use the crockery/cutlery, toaster, microwave etc to make youyrself snacks at any time.

Not luxury, accommodation but very well kept, and was just the job for me!

Room Tip: if a light sleeper, might be best to ask for a room not at front.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo