“lovely family farm” 4 of 5 bubbles

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“lovely family farm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

it is small and basic but very cheap and friendly with a reasonably priced cafe. Most importantly my 5 year old daughter loved it. Feeding the horses and donkeys (was nice to have carrot cabbage not animal feed), and ondoor play area very popular.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kaz L

Launceston, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Farm Park - I would have rated "good" had this been available”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

"Real Farms" as referred to by a previous reviewer are almost a thing of the past and disappearing like "dew before the sun" so please do not begrudge the very reasonable entrance fee. The farm has no cattle and a few pet calves plus a milk cow would add so much without adding much to labour or feed bills. There is a good selection of rare breed poultry (bantams and large fowl) but all mixed together so little chance of pure breeding. Another minus is that pretty much all the rare breed sheep: Jacobs, Hebridean, Portland, Shetland and Manx Loughtan have been allowed to interbreed so the pure breeds as earlier mentioned have all but disappeared and have been amalgamated into cross breds as a result of mixed rare breed mating. Whilst this may not matter to young children or people who know little about livestock, it is a very serious blow to conservation and if places like this have given up on pure breeding, then what hope is there for preservation of rare breeds and our heritage of indigenous breeds of livestock? If better organised, this place could be an approved Rare Breeds Centre but more would have to be done to gain approval from Rare Breeds Survival Trust (I do not represent this organisation but am as you may by now have guessed, a member of RBST). We visited on a cold day (April 9th) with spring nowhere in sight which must be taxing to the limit in extra work and feed costs. The animals were exceptionally well cared for and greatly loved so high marks here and a wonderful place to introduce and foster a young person's interest in farm animals. Staff were friendly and helpful. Marketing is the weak link of this place and if it does not survive, this may turn out to be the main failing. The website is useless and way outdated - the link to Facebook is non existent and I could find no entry for this farm park on Facebook. The brown road signs have all but disappeared (again, not the way to maximise business) and the blackboard supposedly showing events and news was blank. We visited a good few years ago and marketing and communications is definitely on the slide and has reached a 3 out of 10 from what we saw. There was evidence of "animal sponsorship" so maybe I have marked harshly but come on Oak Park Farm, if you want to promote ongoing sponsorship and to succeed long term in a harsh farming climate, then you must improve in terms of marketing/advertising/promotions and organisation. I still thoroughly endorse this place as a genuinely unspoilt and non commercial farm so treasure it and use it whilst it is available. I live in far off Cornwall but would otherwise be volunteering! Does the farm use volunteering? I saw no evidence of it but genuine enthusiasm should always be encouraged! Good Luck, Oak Farm and to the potential visitors, please encourage the farm park by regular visiting. Go somewhere else if you want paintball and adventure climbing - this is a real farm with real animals! Three stars is "average" and four stars is "very good". The farm park falls between the two in my opinion!

Visited April 2013
5 Thank Anthony5468
London, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Sweet Farm, best suited to key stage 1 and under”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

As a previous reviewer said this is a real farm not a fake farm luke Mead and Willows. It's not huge, but lots of chickens, sheep and other friendly animals who are happy to eat the food you offer them!

it's a nice place to while away a couple of hours, but I'm sad to say I think my animal mad 8 year old is just a bit old for it now, sob!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank sarahv70
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We took our grandchildren there for the day, they thoroughly enjoyed themselves, very relaxing and friendly

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Veronica K
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A Great Way For Children To Meet Animals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

As long as you don't go to Oak Farm with any illusions you will have a marvellous time. Check the website and check the prices and you'll understand that this isn't a theme park or a mini-zoo. It is a farm, with all that entails - some mud, some outbuildings, some cracks and splinters.

That said it is a wonderful place to take children. Although many of the animals are rescue animals they are people friendly. Many of the cockerels wander freely as do the peacocks and peahens. I've visited twice and seen the ducklings out for a paddle in a pool in the courtyard, the tortoises on a supervised walk and a donkey and foal come out for a meet & greet. The free-rangers will eat from your hands - which is amazing when it's a peacock!

There are bios of the animals if you are interested, although I wouldn't read some of them out to younger children. Not a criticism, I just wouldn't want to start explaining what an RSPCA cruelty case to a little girl looking at a stunning angora rabbit. Poor bunny, safe and happy now. Other recues include chinchillas, guinea pigs and other lovely furries. Many you can feed, clear warnings when you cannot.

Ah yes, go with some money to buy food. The brown paper bags they sell are great value at 50p each (corn for two legs, veggies for four legs) but you will be so entranced that you'll get through three or four each. We did anyway, but this may be because we had a chicken-loving six year old with us. And me. One of the pigs will stand obligingly and open his (her?) mouth to allow food to be thrown in. Irresistible.

The llamas and alpaca have the limpid brown eyes of Disney characters. Animals I have only seen in a zoo or on TV eating carrots from my hand. How wonderful, so close to home. The goats are crazy and boisterous as only goats can be and worth 50p of food on their own. The donkeys were gentle and adored the attention; I remember feeding donkeys in Weymouth when I was little and they seemed quite alarming at the time! These weren't.

I think I've mentioned the animals that appealed to us most. And maybe most of the animals. Like I said it's a small place run with love and well deserving of support. We sat down with a cup of tea and the children played in the indoor play area. Apparently it doesn't hold a candle to Mead Farm's play area. But that's not what we were there for and anyway we had to tear them away after 45 minutes so I can't see why anything should be changed. And they adored the 20p rides which looked like I might have ridden on them back when I was their age - if it's not broken don't fix it.

All in all a great place to while away a few hours. The family ticket (£15 for 2 adults 2 children at the time of writing) is about the cost of a McDonalds and the pleasure lasts far longer.

Visited August 2012