“Family day out”

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family day out”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We took our grandchildren there for the day, they thoroughly enjoyed themselves, very relaxing and friendly

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Veronica K

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A Great Way For Children To Meet Animals”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

As long as you don't go to Oak Farm with any illusions you will have a marvellous time. Check the website and check the prices and you'll understand that this isn't a theme park or a mini-zoo. It is a farm, with all that entails - some mud, some outbuildings, some cracks and splinters.

That said it is a wonderful place to take children. Although many of the animals are rescue animals they are people friendly. Many of the cockerels wander freely as do the peacocks and peahens. I've visited twice and seen the ducklings out for a paddle in a pool in the courtyard, the tortoises on a supervised walk and a donkey and foal come out for a meet & greet. The free-rangers will eat from your hands - which is amazing when it's a peacock!

There are bios of the animals if you are interested, although I wouldn't read some of them out to younger children. Not a criticism, I just wouldn't want to start explaining what an RSPCA cruelty case to a little girl looking at a stunning angora rabbit. Poor bunny, safe and happy now. Other recues include chinchillas, guinea pigs and other lovely furries. Many you can feed, clear warnings when you cannot.

Ah yes, go with some money to buy food. The brown paper bags they sell are great value at 50p each (corn for two legs, veggies for four legs) but you will be so entranced that you'll get through three or four each. We did anyway, but this may be because we had a chicken-loving six year old with us. And me. One of the pigs will stand obligingly and open his (her?) mouth to allow food to be thrown in. Irresistible.

The llamas and alpaca have the limpid brown eyes of Disney characters. Animals I have only seen in a zoo or on TV eating carrots from my hand. How wonderful, so close to home. The goats are crazy and boisterous as only goats can be and worth 50p of food on their own. The donkeys were gentle and adored the attention; I remember feeding donkeys in Weymouth when I was little and they seemed quite alarming at the time! These weren't.

I think I've mentioned the animals that appealed to us most. And maybe most of the animals. Like I said it's a small place run with love and well deserving of support. We sat down with a cup of tea and the children played in the indoor play area. Apparently it doesn't hold a candle to Mead Farm's play area. But that's not what we were there for and anyway we had to tear them away after 45 minutes so I can't see why anything should be changed. And they adored the 20p rides which looked like I might have ridden on them back when I was their age - if it's not broken don't fix it.

All in all a great place to while away a few hours. The family ticket (£15 for 2 adults 2 children at the time of writing) is about the cost of a McDonalds and the pleasure lasts far longer.

Visited August 2012
6 Thank SundaeGirl72
Aylesbury
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Not worth a special visit.”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

It is OK for what it is but this is not an extensive animal park. The rairity is in the number of breeds and number of animals. Do not travel too far to visit the park.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank ElRog
A TripAdvisor Member
“Brilliant fun for all ages”
Reviewed May 20, 2005

Hello, four years ago I moved away from Aylesbury up to Middlesbrough to be with family. When we lived in Aylesbury my family and I went on regular visits to Oak Farm. It's brilliant for days when the whole family is bored and sick of sitting in the house. Its lovely to see children and adults feeding the animals and is amazing to see a community come alive so well. I really do recommend this to any familys living in the area or passing by, its brilliant fun and a great afternoon out!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member