“Functional but tired”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Aylesbury
Warwick
“Functional but tired”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I've stopped at a lot of Holiday Inn hotels over the last few years but I think this must rate as the poorest to date. Initially you are reassured by reception area that appears to have been recently refurbished. Sadly, this didn't extend to our room which looks like it hadn't had anything done to it since the mid 80s! Furniture was dented and scratched and the bathroom sported a nice cracked tile, the tile in question was even pictured in a previous review of this same room on here in December 2012. Nearly a year later nothing has been done about it.

Plus points? Well rooms at the back of the hotel on the 2nd floor are quiet.

We didn't have breakfast - a friend of ours was offered a reduced rate if vouchers were bought at check-in but this offer wasn't mentioned when I checked in.

With a full refurbishment plan this could be a nice place to stay, but as it is I won't be going back there until that happens.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Simon C
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aylesbury, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Simon C
Thank you for your Trip Advisor feedback with regards to your recent stay. I was very disappointed to learn of your experience last week, to see that we had failed to deal with a defect with the bathroom tile that you highlight, please accept my sincere apologies. The defects you list will I assure you be dealt with further to which I have asked both my Maintenance and Housekeeping teams to advise how a tile defect can be unresolved for this duration. This is wholly unacceptable and far from the standards of guest experience and service we strive to deliver.
Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback without which moving forward in providing a positive guest experience at the Holiday Inn Aylesbury would be undoubtedly more difficult.
Ian Rees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Korean first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I would definitely stay at this hotel again when next in the area as it was well positioned for the tennis event I was attending with my son and some friends and the rooms we were given were very spacious and clean with a comfortable bed and good sized television. The breakast in the morning was delicious although the prices for evening meal were quite expensive so my companions and I opted to eat elsewhere as there were other restaurants nearby. This was probably the only downside so if the meals were more reasonably priced, more of the party I was with would have stayed to eat in the hotel restaurant, as it was it seemed to lack atmosphere as not many people were dining in. Unfortuantly we didn't get chance to use the facilities but hopefully next time we will ensure we allow time.
The staff were very welcoming and curtious.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aylesbury, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear JF99
Thank you posting your Trip Advisor comments further to your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Aylesbury. I was pleased to learn that the hotels facilities and level of service that you experienced in turn led to your enjoyment. Thank you also for your comments with regards to the restaurant pricing, these will be passed onto our corporate office for their review.
UK
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Being a very long-standing Platinum Priority Club member, I feel pretty well qualified to review the different Holiday Inns I've stayed at over the last 15+ years. I've rated this one average (that being Tripadvisor's middle grade) as the Holiday Inn Aylesbury delivered the standard Holiday experience - nothing more/nothing less.

One thing I did notice throughout my stay was the fact that the reception desk was left un-manned for long periods of time. When I checked in, there was no-one there and I had to position myself in sight of the door to the office behind and tap the counter to get any attention. I then noticed the same situation whenever I passed by the reception desk, with similarly bemused guests wondering where the staff were. I can't recall seeing this at any other IHG property, so this needs to be addressed.

My room and bathroom were fine - a bit dated - and it was clear I wasn't offered my Platinum member room upgrade. In fact, no mention was made of this by the receptionist. I was, however, offered the now customary 500 bonus points voucher, though - unlike at any other Holiday Inn - I was not given the voucher to process myself, but told they would enter the points for me. Well, 10 days later and one follow-up e-mail a week ago, they've still not processed this. Next time, I'd like to be given the voucher.

Breakfast was the usual hot and cold buffet selection and met my expectations.

As I am relocating to the area, I will no doubt stay here again - and at its sister Holiday Inn Garden Court. Both deliver the minimum levels of service to have a safe-bet stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aylesbury, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear BritTraveller68
Thank you for providing your feedback further to your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Aylesbury. I was really disappointed to read your comments and in particular around the level service you received from the Reception team. The points you identify have been discussed with my Reception Manager and relevant actions have been implemented to eliminate the shortfalls you were unfortunate to experience for which I would like to offer my sincere apologies. Once again my genuine thanks for providing your valued feedback, as far too many times we are never provided this, and therefore all to often frequently unaware of our shortcomings. We look forward to welcoming you back and obviously proving a more memorable experience.
Epping, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed at the HI Aylesbury as part of a birthday trip to Whipsnade for 2 girls 7th birthday. Firstly the Reservations team were incredibly helpful in sourcing the best package to include the trip to the zoo and working out rooms for 4 adults and 6 kids. But then the personal touches on arrival - balloons, birthday cards as signed by the staff and personalised cupcakes for the girls - were really appreciated and amazing at a budget chain. Made the stay so very special. Rooms were also really clean and the pool area is great for families as children allowed at all times. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Divinemissj
Thank you for your comments further to your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Aylesbury. I was really delighted to read your feedback with regard to the manner in which the hotel team were able to surprise and delight and in turn create a memorable experience for you and your family. This is the level of guest service we aspire to deliver on each occasion to all our guests.
Thank you and we look forward to your return.
Kind regards
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at the start of a family visit in the south of England. We booked through Expedia and got a good deal. The room was good and the breakfast was just right. We arrived after 8pm and were able to settle into our room and get a meal. The food was good but pricey- we were expecting this as a result of previous visits to this chain of hotels. We were able to enjoy the leisure facilities in the morning due to the 12 o'clock check out time. I would not hesitate to stay again when in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aylesbury, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Janet Y
Thank you for your feedback further to your recent stay with us.
I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay, taking advantage of the leisure facilities after a great breakfast. We look forward to being of service to you again in the future.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night for a family wedding.

The room was very clean and spacious. The bed did slope to one side however so was a little uncomfortable.

The communal areas are clean and tidy but I did find the toilets a little dirty at times.

For the rate we got it did the job and I would return.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IRees, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aylesbury, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear nichollsb01
Thank you for you kind comments further to your recent stay with us.
Great that you enjoyed your stay however my apologies for the "slope" in the bed, this of course should of been addressed whilst the room was being checked prior to your arrival and I am sorry we failed to do this, therefore I would be delighted to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our executive rooms for your next visit.
Once again many thanks for your feedback.
Bicester
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times over the last 10 years, We booked up a few weeks ago on the hotel's website and the hotel were very good with keeping us up to date with our booking.
On arrival the check in was very good and the lady on reception was very pleasant. We stayed in Room 229 which was on the second floor towards the back of the hotel which was nice and peaceful. The room was very clean and modern and the bed was nice and comfy.
The breakfast was very good the next morning with a great choice of Cereal's, toast, cooked breakfast, pancakes, juices,fruit and continental section too and even if you wanted an omelet they would have made one too.
We will return again soon and would recommend the hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: Room's at the back of the hotel were nice and peaceful.