“Mediocre at best”

Holiday Inn Aylesbury
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Aylesbury
Reviewed April 11, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past few months - it's convenient for where I need to be. But although the rooms that I have been assigned have been fine, the rest of the facilities aren't too good. The bar area is particularly bad - the flooring is a mixture of really filthy carpet and a patchwork of plywood panels that have been inserted where the carpet has worn out. Altogether not a very pleasant place to sit, most people tend to sit in the large foyer area, but this can be cold and draughty as the automatic entrance doors are constantly opening and closing as people pass through. The 3-course set menu isn't very good - at first sight you think that the courses have been taken from the main a'la carte menu as the descriptions are exactly the same - but the quality and quantity in many cases dispels this assumption. Service is poor and 10% service charge is automatically added - if you simply want to order food from the bar menu make sure you order it yourself - if a waiter/ess takes your order it's 10% extra including drink items. All in all I would go elsewhere if there was anywhere half decent in the locality, but there isn't. I've tried hotels in Tring, Waddesdon and guesthouses in adjacent villages - but they're nothing to write home about. I've been to other Holiday Inns, including some that were formerly Marriott Courtyard Hotels and all of them have been better than the Holiday Inn at Aston Clinton. For a short stay it's bearable but if possible eat out.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed March 10, 2008

As a group of ex apprentices that had spent three years at the camp at RAF Halton which is nearby, I booked this hotel for a reunion and as a base for an important day for us at the camp.

Some of our people arrived the night before and had problems with their meal - fish bones in mashed potatoes is not acceptable.

I had organised a seperate room and bar for the reunion with around 70 people sitting down to the meal. The meal was served slowly and was barely hot. Considering the fact that the meal was pre-booked and we had to fight to get any choices this was unacceptable.

Some of the rooms were dirty and bits didn't work, but the majority felt that the rooms were adequate.

The biggest sin on the night was to run out of beer! Not a good thing when a number of ex-servicemen are eager to quench thirsts. As for wine - a wait of 20 minutes while the person with the key to the wine store tried my patience.

Sunday mornings breakfast was farcical with several in the party unable to have much to eat as the cooked food had run out and they were running out of time as we all had to be at the camp by a pre-arranged time.

I did write to the hotel and to the head office, but the replies I received were bland and led me to beleive they just weren't interested.

• Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed September 28, 2007

stayed at the holiday inn aylesbury for 6 days this time as we had a good experience last time but will not be returning there again. the food was awful, the twin room we had was falling apart the head board was not even screwed to the wall the matress was broken. the bathroom was not that clean and shower curtain was brown along the bottom and the rail had rust. would not recommend this hotel they need to do some serious rennovation.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2007

I stay in Aylesbury one night a month on business. If you are seeking a branded hotel, there's only this one and the Garden Court in Aylesbury, so I choose this one as it's full service.
Upon entering the hotel, you are met with a bright, modern reception area. Staff are usually welcoming and check-in is quick.
Over the last few months, I seem to have been upgraded to an executive room and they MUCH MUCH NICER than the older rooms. This hotel is quite old and being a former Posthouse, the older rooms have merely been patched up and nothing more. You can see where old panels have been removed and replaced, for example. But, as I say, bag yourself an exec room and you'll be fine.
The leisure club is average. It's not particularly pleasing on the eye but functional. It can get busy though.
Food is typically Holiday Inn - nothing special but again, acceptable.
Overall, not bad. You won't find better in Aylesbury (but you don't have much choice!)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Group booking, from the six couples who stayed at the hotel, only 1 of them had a good thing to say about the place. The next day at check-out time there was a line of people waiting to make complaints myself included. The Duty Manager was seeing to a group of people in front of people, she knew that I was waiting to complain as the group in front, highlighted that I had expressed some of the same problems as themselves. After the Duty Manager had seen to the group in front of me, she then disappeared out the back, where I informed the receptionist that I also had been waiting to see her, I was told in a rude tone that she would be back soon. Anyway I got tired of waiting for the Duty Manager who was just hiding out the back. I got her name from the receptionist and have written in to the Hotel Manager about the problems which I faced to name a few, the room was dirty; pillows smelt of smoke, although I had booked a non-smoking room; out of the 6 rooms which we had booked just 1 TV was working; some of us had hot water some of us did not like I said the list just goes on and on, I do not even want to mention the breakfast or lunch service....

Reviewed May 27, 2007

The hotel is OK but I feel that it is overpriced. Out of 5 days I stayed, the showers were cold on 3 mornings. Room service completely failed to arrive on one evening and after 1hr 30 I discovered my order had gone missing. Another evening I was extremely disappointed with a pasta dish - £10 for something I could have better cooked myself. The Duck Inn just up the road does excellent food at half the price. Gym and fitness suite are nice and the staff friendly.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank miketheblock
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Held a group booking over the bank holiday weekend at the Holiday Inn Aylesbury and it was an excellent weekend.
The feedback from the other guests in my group was very positive also.

Arranging the event as made easy due to a very knowledgable events and sales team. Nothing was too much trouble and all of my prior concerns from past stays at other hotels were flattened out before we all arrived.

The accommodation was good, clean and comfortable.
The organised dinners and Breakfast was of a high quality and the service was great. All of the staff were walm and friendly.

I would stay at the Holiday Inn again and recommend to all.

1  Thank EnglandReviewer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aylesbury
Premier Inn Aylesbury Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wendover
Innkeeper's Lodge- Aylesbury South Weston Turville
Premier Inn Tring Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Aylesbury? Share your experiences!