“Don't go!”

Cuisines: British
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Don't go!”
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Having just had our Christmas work do and found myself in McDonald afterwards! To start the restaurant is extremely dated and has a musty unclean air about it! I ordered vegetable soup which it was not, it was Luke warm vegetables in water, others who orders melon were also unable to eat as was plastered with balsamic vinegar. Wait up to an hour for the main meal which a colleague had to ask for the plates to be cleared in which staff replied you have only just had your starter! There was no service it was literally pass the plate exercise. We found a few pieces of cutlery that was dirty! I then ordered steak for main meal, I was not asked how I like it cooked. It was completely un-edible, it had over over cooked like leather/rock! No sauces were supplied despite asking 4 times! Plates again took half/hour 45 minutes to be cleared. They only had 4 soft drinks to offer. And to finish it off the toilets were vile. All In all extremely bad experience and would not recommend to anyone! Avoid!

hemel hempstead
“not impressed”
Reviewed November 27, 2010

after reading the one review for the `reading rooms restaraunt` i decided to take my friends there for lunch before we went to the theatre there was 7 of us.
i was surprised when we went into restraurant as its like walking into a back room to a church that smells musty.we were seated and our drinks arrived quickly and our orders were taken
the food arrived after around a 45min wait.the scampi was over cooked chips werent nice.omelette`s was rubbery from being over cooking,the jkt potatoes were fine .ham salad was very basic.we asked for a jug of water.when the water arrived all the glasses presented for us to drink from were dirty and had to be sent back.
the service was unprofessional.toilets were disgusting.
the only saving grace was we were only charged £5 per person .and that i feel was fair

aylesbury
“Great Food! Good Prices, Good Service! what more could you want?”
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I recently visited the Reading Room Restaurant in Aylesbury. This is a hidden gem of a restaurant tucked away in the old town area. It isnt on the main circuit (ie the market or kingsbury squares or high street), but its certainly well worth making the effort to search it out!.

I had the mussels to start which were absolutely divine! and my partner had prawn cocktail which was generous, well presented and not all salad (as is all to often the case). For Mains, I had Tuna Steak and my partner had steak, both were, obviously fresh, beautifully cooked and presented, the portions were generous and the prices were more than reasonable.
Despite the generous portions I did succumb to the sweet menu, it was a delight to see that the majority of the sweets are homemade and delicious, Those that arent come under the guise of gooey scrumptious chocolatey cakes etc.
The service was excellent, the staff couldnt do enough for us, they were cheerful, polite, and discreet, but accessible when we wanted them. The family that own the restaurant are very friendly and enthusiastic and are very happy to chat or answer questions. The room is warm and cosy, historic (all wood panelling, very like an old fashioned gentlemans club). if a little worn looking.
I genuinely cannot understand why this restaurant is not absolutely full every evening!, The prices of the evening menu mean that it is affordable for evenings when you just cant be bothered to cook as well as special occasions! so, whilst it is still largely undiscovered and therefore quite easy to get a booking, I for one, will be back on a regular basis!
Well done folks.... keep it up!