“A Step Back In Time” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Aylesbury
London, United Kingdom
“A Step Back In Time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had a 3 night stay in town, the hotel on the outside is basic and adequate however room 202 that I was in was like stepping back into the 80s early 90s. Well the rooms look like they have not been decorated since then with wooded furniture, pastel wall paper with boarders. The Bathrooms seem dated as well. The shower / bath water fitting seemed to be damaged as the flow of water was inconstant and the temperature kept changing. It was a small hotel on 2 levels. There was a vending machine in the main hallway which was quite pricey for what they were charging. (Crisps £1 upwards, Cans and Bottled Drinks & Water £1.50. There was a very good public house on the main roundabout and a local shop to stock up on propositions. The mattress was not firm and internet connection very slow.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Stephen L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Booked this purely for the location as we were travelling to Silverstone for MotoGP. After I read some of the reviews I was really concerned that we had made a mistake. As it was only for one night we thought we would give it a try.
The check in was painless and quick. The room was huge. The décor was a little dated but there was every facility one might need. a fully equipped bathroom with hairdryer and complimentary shower gel etc, kettle with freebie biscuits and drink selection, a fridge, a flatscreen tv, sofa, dining table and chairs, trouser press and full size wardrobe. Menu selection for the bar looked disappointing and expensive, so we walked 10 minutes back to the Horse and Jockey down the road. We didn't stop for breakfast as we were rushing up to the race. All in all -£67 room only on this particular weekend within 25 miles of Silverstone was a hit with us. I suppose it depends what your expectations are. To me a Holiday Inn is no better than a Premier Inn these days and a very similar price in top locations or on peak travelling dates, so it was fine. If you want boutique bedrooms with romantic dinners and top service - go somewhere else, it is Aylesbury after all.

Room Tip: they are all quiet as it is a quiet location
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
C M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Sandra999,

Thank you very much for your review of the Holiday Inn Garden Court Aylesbury. I am very pleased you liked your room accommodations. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. I am sorry to hear that our menu selection fell below your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your review will be used to consider needed improvements and we hope to get a chance of seeing you again in the future.

Best regards
Carlos Maio
Retford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

staff seemed friendly enough. Bar food was ok and basic but not a lot of choice, they will order a take away from the local businesses though.Room was clean and a good size for 2 people. My only gripe was the shower; we got back to the room at 8pm every night and the shower kept going really cold for a few minutes, or the water went into a trickle. Don't no whether it was because we were having a late shower, but I would expect any hotel to have a constant supply of hot water all the time. Its 30 minutes away from Silverstone for anyone trying to find a hotel for the racing. Didn't have breakfast as it wasn't served until 7.30am and we needed to be going out for the day then.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Littlecalfuk,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you liked our rooms and you found our staff ro be friendly.

However, I humbly apologize for the issues you had with the shower facility. We appreciate your feedback as this allows us to assess where we have opportunities to make improvements.

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to write your concerns. Rest assured that your comments will be used and improvements will be made where possible. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Absolutely cheated and disgusted. Advertised as a holiday inn and booked on their website but where is the green holiday inn logo? Where is the holiday inn quality? The restaurant is dingy and has about 7 tables in it. The rooms are dated, dusty and the shower dirty, dangerous and appalling, the bath blocks. Smokers stand outside your bedroom, the reception staff unfriendly and cold. How ever does holiday inn include this place in their own chain?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Oliver F,

Thank you for the review of our hotel.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience that you have encountered during your previous stay with us. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your expectations on most of the amenities particularly with the condition of your room. We regret the poor experience you had during your visit.

It is our fullest intention to provide the best experience, as such, we are constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts assuring you of our best attention and service at all times. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Aylesbury hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Booked via the Holiday Inn booking line. booked this hotel as I couldnt afford the £120 they wanted for the Holiday Inn Aylesbury so paid £89 room only instead. I was told the main difference was the lack of gym and reduced resteraunt facilities. Got there and found there was a gym but he was right about the food £8 for burger and chips and it was horrible, tasteless rubbish. O n the side I ordered garlick bread and got 2 small pieces for nearly £3!!!!!!!! When asked by the waitress if everything was ok I said no, she said oh and walked of shaking her head and tutting. Customer service and common decency were non excistant. Room was ok if depressingly in need of refurbishing, shower leaked all over and by the time I was finished showering the bath was about 4 inches deep with water which still hadnt drained away by morning. Next time in the area I will sleep in my car before stopping here. I was going to give it 2 out of 5 but while writing this I've realised what a rip off it was so now its a 1!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Neal T,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

It is unfortunate that we have left you with a less than memorable guest experience. I sincerely apologize for the poor experience you had in our dining area and for the shortcomings you have encountered in your room.

We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests and this is crucial for us to address any issues that may come up. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Had an over night stop at this hotel in April. We found it clean and quiet. As with most of these chain hotels the restaurant was very small and the tables to close together. The bar area is very small and you could NOT have a relaxing night here (it consists of a 2 seater settee and 1 table!!) The staff seem to be multi tasking between the restaurant, bar and reception!!The evening meal was rushed and not very nice. (Eat out if you can or take food back to the room). The breakfast was hot and there was plenty of choice. The room we had was very spacious and spotlessly clean, and so was the bathroom. Defiantly stay here again if passing through.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear 3ohappycouple,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am pleased to note that you found our hotel to be clean and quiet.

However, I am sorry to hear that you dind't find our restaurant and bar to your liking. Please accept our sincerest apologies for these areas fell short of your expectations.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that your comments will be used to reconsider improvements. We look forward to being of service to you again.

Birmingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I decided to risk booking this hotel despite the bad reviews on trip advisor as my previous experience of the Holiday Inn brand and IHG as a whole has been a good one (up to now)
Upon arrival at the hotel, I was greeted with the sight of a threadbare carpet running from the kerb to the front door. This was flanked on both sides by wooden picnic benches housing 2 groups of what I suspect from the conversation and look were Polish builders. 1 table was piled up with Dominos Pizza boxes and cans of Stella Artois, the other table with the same pizza boxes and 1 litre bottles of Smirnoff vodka being passed around....... Not the most welcoming arrival at a hotel I've experienced.
After checking in I went to my room (108) located at the end of a very dark corridor on the ground floor.

On opening the door 2 things struck me, how dark the room was and the stench of stale cigarette smoke (despite the peeling sheet of A4 paper stuck to the mirror reminding people it's a non smoking room)

Not a problem I thought, I'll open the window...... Not expecting to find that the hotel's rubbish bins are located directly outside the window to room 108 and that they were overflowing with both bags of and loose waste. The stench from the overflowing bins that were level with the window frame was overwhelming with the sunny day we'd had so I opted in stead to go out.

Trying to sleep in this room was a joke as well. As well as having the bins located under the window, immediately to the right of the window the hotels main air conditioning units are located so for the entire night you get the drone of them running to keep you awake. Add to that the strange and various noises, hisses and clunks that come from the switched off in room air conditioning unit and you don't stand a chance of sleep.

Then we move on to the bathroom, although dated the bathrooms are ok apart from 1 problem. Both the sink and bath have pop up waste systems, but they don't really pop up!!!
Having washed my hands and found that with the time taken to rinse, soap, wash and rinse your hands, the sink by that point is overflowing onto the floor. The only answer being to dig into the grimy waste and lift the unit out so you can even wash your hands.
The bath waste had a similar issue and after just a brief shower, the water in the bath was covering my feet and way over my ankles, I left that draining when I checked out some 15 minutes later.

I did make my feelings know to the receptionist, and that for £90 room only at a Holiday Inn I felt that the room was a rip off . The only comment I got was "that isn't one of our best rooms"

Room Tip: Avoid room 108
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear ap73uk,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It is unfortunate that we were not able to satisfy you with the level of the service you received and if you found the room accommodations' condition being sub standard. Please be assured your feedback has been noted and this will be used to enhance our efforts.

We value you as a Priority Club Rewards Member and thank you for taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G