“Dear oh dear oh dear”

Ranked #179 of 241 Restaurants in Aylesbury
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2013

How can I put this - cheap but not cheerful? quick but not fresh? convenient but you always leave feeling 'why'?

Essentially, a 2-1 priced menu (but the original prices vastly over-inflated). Food appears (with exception of anything off the grill) to be microwaved ready meals. Grilled items frequently burned and poor quality.

Staff are slow, surly and have no knowledge of what they are serving ! Ask what is in a dish and standard response is - 'I'll ask the cook to look on the packet'

Have eaten in other Marston's Inns before and they seem fairly good vfm. This place is nowhere near that.

Travel a little further and eat at the Bugle Horn in Sedrup for better value, quality and service

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Well after not going to this restaurant for some time we were pleasantly surprised by how good a night we had despite bring being part of a group of 17 . The food was good, the service was attentive and came in good order and on time. We had our own dedicated waiter who was excellent!! Well done honeybee and keep it up !!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We decided on the honey bee after driving past another favourite pub/restaurant (it looked quite full) and my wife had been there mid December for a staff Christmas lunch & everyone said how good it was. We looked around for a table - it was busy so only about a dozen tables empty. My wife sat down & I ordered drinks at the bar. the bar staff were very busy but still, only waited a couple of minutes. I asked about ordering food & was told a waitress would come over - she was there within a minute of me sitting down - so I had to ask for a few minutes.
I don't know if she was keeping an eye on us but within a minute of us putting the menus down & taling to each other, the waitress came back.
Our orders for starter and mains were duly taken.
We waited about 20 minutes for the starter to come out - we figured this was due to the place being really busy - even more tables filled up by now.
We had one pate to share between us - we had told the waitress we intended to share (to leave room for dessert!), she brought additional cutlery and a side plate - what initiative!
We only had to wait another 10 minutes after we'd finished our starter before the mains came out. Our waitress noted we had almost finished our drinks & asked if we wanted more. The drinks duly arrived & we were asked if there was anything else we needed (she had already brought ketchup and mayo beforehand) & was everything OK with the meal, before leaving us in peace.
10 minutes after we'd finished, our waitress cleared our plates. Again she asked if everything was OK & would we like desserts/coffee? She came back to take our order.
Another 10 minute wait & our desserts arrived.
By this time, I noted there were only a few spare seats - the place was really busy & the staff were run ragged - which is why I cannot believe the other reviews. If the place really is so bad, how is it so popular?
We visited Friday 8th Feb at 6pm
Starter - 1 pate. Glad we shared as this would have been quite filing.
Mains - Wife had Gammon, egg, chips & peas - a large piece of meat about 1/2" (13mm) thick, not overdone & tough but done to a turn, the chef definitely kept his/her eye on that one.
I had the burger (double stacker for £2 extra) which was a large, thick beefburger plus two chicken breast fillets with a choice of three toppings (I had cheese, onion & bacon) (have to say that the bacon was hard & dry but together with a 2" (5cm) strip of gammon rind this made a tasty little treat for our dog).
desserts - wife had mascarpone cheesecake, I had giant carrot cake.
Together with 4 pints of diet coke, the bill came to a shade over £28 plus a well-earned tip for the waitress.
Would we go there again? Well, it was a tad noisy - but then a very busy pub would be, and as we were in a corner (we seem to love finding corners to sit in!), the noise levels weren't too bad.
So, yes. We most definitely would go back. The quality of food is as good as most pub/restaurants, it came out hot & the portions were very good. the chips were OK - but there is an art to cooking chips - even frozen ones & I'm guessing that their cooks are too busy to perfect this art judging by the number of covers that evening.
The waitresses, even though they were obviously run off their feet, were friendly, polite & courteous & did their jobs well.
Although we had a little wait between ordering & the starters arriving, we find this is quite common - and in any case, even if you cooked it yourself you'd have to wait - so no big deal.
One last thing - if you want a dessert to take home, they will put it in a small box for you.

2  Thank sludgeguts
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Like the reviews you will read below, one word - SHOCKING! They seem to have lost the plot totally. Service? There is none!!! A Taxi in to town for me now

Reviewed January 22, 2013

After not visiting the Honey Bee for more than a year , we decided to return for Sunday Lunch- what a mistake. The service was a disgrace , surly staff , an unkempt assistant manager who took no notice of our complaint and a manager who was not much better. It was a 45 min wait to get the order taken, another 45 minutes to receive our lunch which was luke warm , uncooked vegetables and meat which you would not give to a dog. Our drinks order was lost and then we had to wait half an hour for our plates to be cleared and our desert order to be taken. Only to be told 20mins later they did not have our choices left on the menu so to choose again! I know the management has been changed but the drop in standards, quality and service was ridiculous and someone at Marstons must take not of these reviews and do something about it before this pub loses all of its customers!
I have never previously seen so many dirty tables/high chairs and surly staff as I did on Sunday, next time we visit the area we shall certainly find somewhere else to eat. Bring back the previous landlord and landlady!