“My choice for Chinese in Bristol”

Mayflower Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #365 of 1,623 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“My choice for Chinese in Bristol”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

For a while now, I have been struggling for somewhere to go for Dim Sum on Sundays, I have tried a number of places since I fell out with my previous favourite and was almost at the point of swallowing my pride and going back (see previous reviews) until I tried Mayflower this Sunday. Three of us went down there despite our reservations due to the cost and problems with finding parking in central Bristol.
There is a Car park almost outside but it only allows you to pay via your phone and for some reason I couldn't get it to accept my details. Had to park a couple of minutes away and walk back in the bracing wind we had this weekend...not a great start.
Inside the place is nicely decorated and more importantly very warm except when people enter or exit especially if they dawdle which one particular family did.
Anyway to the food, started with Siu Mai, Beef Cheong Fun, Spring Rolls and Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup. All really good and it was a large amount of soup at this place although it could have been hotter.
Then onto my favourite, Roast Duck, Roast Pork & Barbecue Pork with boiled rice and Chinese leaf. This was excellent and again a large portion all to myself accompanied by plenty of chilli oil and washed down with lots of Jasmine Tea.
A couple of gripes as with many Chinese restaurants the food does come out in a slightly haphazzard way so one of my party was sitting there watching their fried rice grow cold whilst they waited for their Lemon Chicken. Secondly the waiting staff were slow to top up the teapot with more boiling water but on balance it was a very good meal and I will certainly be back.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Harri C

• Polish first
Bristol
“Poor experience”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've been visiting Mayflower restaurant for a number of years and my last visit prompted me to write this review as the service and some food was very poor to the point that I will never go back there again.
One of the dishes we had contained rubbery and inedible squid and when we asked a member of staff the explanation given was that it was supposed to be like that. Ummmm don't think so - the squid was actually so tough that I couldn't chew through it. So we left the dish uneaten. Did we even get an apology? No. Did they say they were sorry or even offer a complementary drink (not to mention to replace the dish or even not to charge us)? NO.
We were also charged for chinese tea - which added salt to an injury. And I know for fact that my Chinese friends are not charged for tea.
Needless to say they lost a customer which shouldn't have happened as it would take only a small gesture to keep the customer happy at no extra cost to them. Shame.
However, we find an excellent alternative on Park Street: Chinese restaurant called Toro, run by brother and sister, excellent food, authentic, very reasonably priced. I'll post my review separately.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank RocketGirlBristol
“Bad dining experience”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

As one of the long established Chinese restaurant in Bristol, I have visited the Mayflower with my friends and their family for Chinese New Year celebration.

The decoration is basic and crowd – like most of the typical Chinese restaurant set up, it does not have a big change compare with my last visit few years ago, it was packed on this Saturday evening, we have arranged on the 2nd floor for a table for four with two toddlers.

The menu selection is extensive and staff is helpful to introduce different dishes to us, the food served to us very fast and with generous portion size. As we share all the starters and main courses, a total six items were ordered.

The Three Roasties includes Honey Roasted Pork, Crispy Pork Belly and Roasted Duck, this Cantonese barbecue roasties were full of flavour but it was a bit cold, but the staff said it was supposed to be served cold. Sliced Pork with Capital Sauce was one of my favourite, but the pork was overcooked, so hard that it could not be chewed at all. Shredded Pork Chow Mein taste not bad indeed, but it cooked so bad as the noodle was sticked together, we tried very hard to tear it apart and served. Baby Leaf is a seasonal vegetable and recommended by the staff, it taste really good but too oily. Oyster and Pork Belly Casserole was terrible, oyster and pork belly were soaked in a lot of oil and I did not really want to have a try. We also ordered a Squid in Chilli Salt, but the kitchen seems missed to cook this one and we have cancelled this order.

We did not finish the food we ordered and left, around £20 per person (except toddlers) with the soft drinks and boiled rice, it is not too pricey but everyone was leaving with a half-empty stomach. It’s time to explore a new place for authentic Chinese cuisine.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Living_Plus
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Best Chinese Food”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a take out as we were staying in the Hamilton Buildings around the corner. Lots of chinese people eaing there and that was a good sign. Value for money was good too. Next time we are going to eat in.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank shans
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Consistently grumpy service and total disregard for regular customers”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Before my last visit to Mayflower I had been a regular, going at least once a month. It always baffled me how I would be lucky to even get a smile out of the staff, even though I was a loyal customer who they all saw often. The service always seemed to be consistently grumpy and this did not improve. Despite this-and the high prices-myself and my family kept going back there because the food was good. But after the events of our last visit I can safely say that I will never be going there again.

We visited while my grandmother was receiving chemotherapy in hospital and had been looking forward to a nice evening meal to cheer ourselves up. But the squid in the seafood dish my mother ordered was hard. So hard that it could not be chewed at all. It had clearly been overcooked, for squid turns tough and rubbery if it is cooked for too long. Upon complaining to one of the staff-who had served us there many times before-she dismissed our complaint completely, saying that "the squid was fresh". I don't doubt that Mayflower serve the freshest squid in the whole of Bristol, but this doesn't change the fact that it was overcooked and inedible. We received no apology and nothing else was done about this. The dish was not cooked again and we had to pay the full price for it.

But something else happened when we were paying the bill that quite frankly sickened me. Mayflower have always served free Chinese tea. When I was there with my Chinese teacher on one occasion a charge for the tea had been added onto the bill. However, as soon as my teacher pointed this out, the waitress acknowledged that this was a mistake and immediately said that she would take it off the bill. That night we were charged for the tea, and upon pointing out that it was always free the response was "We have always charged for tea." This was a blatant lie and didn't we both but know it.

This was the last straw and it made me safely say that I would never go there again. Lying to us to squeeze out more money-regular, loyal customers-was completely out of line, as was the reluctance to deal with our legitimate complaint concerning overcooked squid. I had been a regular for more than 2 years, but frankly I regret going there at all and giving them as much as a penny. I emailed them to complain about what had happened, but received no reply. They seem to not care that one of their (former) regular customers was upset at the way they had been treated, so I am sure that they will not worry that I will share what they are really like with the wider audience.

For anyone contemplating a visit to Mayflower, BEWARE is all I can say. Be prepared to put up with grumpy service, and if they try to charge you for tea fight your corner. The tea is FREE. And certainly don't expect much in the way of customer care if you email them in the event of something going wrong. Wongs Chinese restaurant, behind the Hippodrome, does better authentic food and with vastly better service.

• Visited March 2012