“Good value for money”
Review of Europa Italian Restaurant - CLOSED

Europa Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the city this great independent, local Italian has consistently held its deserved position at the top of the listings as one of Bristol's original and authentic family run restaurants. Europa is 25 years old and has just recently had a face lift - the cosy rustic Venetian style interior is always welcoming and friendly. Europa's ethos is simple - enjoyable, unforgettable, reputation, original, passion, atmosphere and great food.
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to the restaurant. I chose tagiatelli alla salmone with a salad from the £6 lunch menu. The salad consisted of red onions, lettuce,green and black olives with tomatoes. The choice of dressing being balsamic vinegar, olive oil or a dressing consisting of mustard and olive oil and another ingredient which I can't remember. I opted for the mustard/oilive oil dressing which was very tasty.

I was impressed with the size of the pasta. I didn't expect a large bowl for £6 but it was a fair size.

The pasta, sauce and salmon were lovely and topped of with my Orange juice and lemonade made a very pleasant lunch.

The service was good and the staff were welcoming. I would definitely go back again and recommend to friends.

Well done Europa.

There are newer reviews for Europa Italian Restaurant

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Been going here on and off for 20 years, through ownership changes. Menu doesn't vary much, but hard to beat (unless you want the "chain restaurant experience") for a pre theatre meal. Service usually good, food consistent and never had cause to complain. Owner is usually around keeping an eye on things. Little surprised by some of the poor reviews on here - doesn't fit my experience at all.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went here after seeing the good rating here on trip advisor and the many good reviews. We had high expectations of some good Italian food but the reality was far from this. The restaurant itself is nicely presented and the staff are friendly and welcoming. The service was a little slow but there was a large party in at the time. The food is unfortunately mediocre and bland. The pasta portions are small and have little or no flavour and the pizzas have very mean topping portions. The menu choice is pretty limited and is mostly pasta and pizza with a few steak and fish dishes.

Save yourself some money and go to Pizza Express!

6  Thank Dan R
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went there last night and had a rubbish meal with no apology or offer to 'make up' for it by the restaurant staff. Having worked in the sector i think that was poor show. Not sure if the assumption was hen do you'll be too drunk to worry about quality and getting what u paid for.

I was part of hen night I think it was too much for the kitchen to cope with and could make sense of the good reviews. I ordered steak blue which came very well done on its on own on the plate with a slice of lemon. The bowl of chips came 5 mins later over cooked and oozing with oil. Looked like the oil needed changing. They were not enjoyable. I asked for the steak to be replaced and to come with the salad it was supposed to come with the first time. Well out come the salad and 20 mins later out came the steak. When it came out it was very nice and everyone commented that the size was so much bigger than the first one. it was very odd that everything was on a separate plate/bowl. Steak salad and chips on one plate together would make sense. Everyone else had finished their meals. Have to say I saw other things being sent back. Some other guests had to wait 15minutes more for their meal. Some pizzas were burnt on the crust and their was hardly any topping. The ones which came out 15 mins later were pale and clearly been sent out in hurry. The integrity of the cooking was really not good.. The pastas and lasagne were very bog standard. I think it's very overpriced for quality. Seriously needs a refurb to the loos weren't great. I can accept the 80's theme seems typical of a Italian. Very expensive for what it is.

Sadly I think the food of the Italian chains like zizzis strada carluccios and even pizza express out do this. EL puerto has a lot more to offer round the corner with live Spanish guitar and flamenco dancing, atmosphere and tasty food.

7  Thank Leyshonh
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A pre-show meal was required and many nearby restaurants were full. We went a little further out (away from the Hippodrome) and opted for the Europa. I think we were the first customers of the night, at around 6.15pm but the place soon got busier. The waiter and drinks staff were very friendly and provided very swift service.
The mussels come in two sizes - starters and main. The main is a good size and was enjoyed by many of us, the actual size of the mussel appeared much bigger than in other restaurants. Two pizzas were ordered and i thought that at least one lacked a little taste and substance. I have had better, maybe the chefs were getting warmed up... The Peroni beers were welcome and the bill was very reasonable, we left a large tip. No desserts, unfortunately, we were in a hurry. Overall, satisfactory and we were happy that they served us quickly in order to meet our showtime.