“Excellent, even for a non vegetarian”
Review of Maitreya Social

Maitreya Social
Ranked #41 of 1,592 Restaurants in Bristol
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Bristol, England
“Excellent, even for a non vegetarian”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Have now eaten twice in this small restaurant in Easton. Both times it has been excellent. My wife increasingly prefers vegetarian food, whereas I am a huge meat eater. I would recommend this restaurant, however, to anyone. Excellent, friendly service and lovely food. Also very interesting choice of beers. Also, don't be put off by the area. Although I wouldn't rush to nearby Stapleton Road, St Mark's Road contains a fascinating mix of eateries and shops, and it is relatively easy to find parking close by.

• Visited September 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Loved the vegetarian menu”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Popped in for Sunday lunch as we were in the area. Had never been before, liked the look of the menu. Was very relaxed and could see the chefs cooking behind the counter. Very busy for the size of place but people managed to find space. My sister had the Sunday roast which was a butternut squash studdel with veg, really lovely and filling. So much taste in the food, I had a bean burger will hallumi that was just as good. We saw a few eating the breakfast menu looked just as good.

• Visited September 2013
Bristol
“Inventive, fresh, delicious”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Have eaten here twice and both times the food has been outstanding. I am vegetarian and so it is a delight to see a full vegetarian menu with beautiful choices which can also be made vegan in some cases. I visited with a non-vegetarian foodie who adored all of his courses and we left feeling stuffed. Absolutely delicious courses from start to finish.

The only downside to Maitreya is, I think, the quite uncomfortable bench arrangement which made sitting for a long relaxed meal feel a little difficult. The ambiance felt a little flat when we first arrived but as the restaurant filled up it became a bit more buzzing.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

First visit for a friends 40th birthday, not being vegetarian but always willing to try new and interesting dishes went with an open mind. Maitreya social looked the part, the smell of food oozing down the street was divine , inside is light and airy with pictures hanging on the wall from local artists, had good access for my friend in her wheelchair.

The waitress Naomi was a delight, polite well informed on the dishes. I was surprised at the choice given and was glad of the help of our waitress who helped with many of the decision's on the table with her mouth watering descriptions!

The pre-starter Olives with fresh bread went down a treat, followed by various starters chilled garlic and almond soup which was a flavour sensation ( A must have ) roasted beetroot with goats cheese (amazing) be prepared to share your food with your fellow dinners as we all could not resist wanting to taste each others.

The portions are very generous and filling but the staff left a good gap between courses for our party to enjoy the course before our AMAZING main meals were brought to the table, again hearty portions full of seasonal veg. I had the Cauliflower, Coconut and Tamarind Lasksa with steamed rice pancakes mouth watering and each mouthful was better than the first, the Chief knows how to combine flavour's not one complaint about the food from our table just a sea of ummm , ahhhhhh as each of us enjoyed our meals.

Really a starter and main is filling but watching the puddings go by it was torture so i ate the Eten Mess which was a piece of heaven in a bowl, so as you can tell from this review 15 very happy full to the brim on heavenly vegetarian food in an relaxing friendly resturant which we all said we will visit again very soon!! Well done Maitreya social

Rochester, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful as always...”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

One of my friends lives within staggering-distance of the Maitreya, so when I stay with her it's become a custom with us to book dinner there for the evening when I arrive, and to celebrate life and the prospect of the weekend ahead with a bottle of wine and something delicious to eat. We've been doing this for several years now (both under the previous and the current Maitreya management), and every time the food's been memorably enjoyable - quite an achievement.

Both of us, whilst omnivorous, enjoy good vegetarian food, and the Maitreya is outstanding in the imaginative ways its chefs combine a diversity of fresh seasonal ingredients. Vegetarians will enjoy being able to choose from the whole menu, and whilst cheese or cream form an integral part of a few dishes, most are or can be made vegan. On my most recent visit I started with samphire fritters (light and fresh in tempura-style batter), chose sweet potato pancakes with grilled halloumi for a main course, and finished with the wonderfully self-indulgent Easton Mess: like its almost-namesake, but with more honeycomb and 'street-cred'... As always it was great, and my companion seemed equally pleased with her choices.

If you're thinking of eating here, do book in advance, as the Maitreya, although bigger on the inside (there's an upper floor), is small and popular - which also means it can be noisy at times. The staff are friendly and helpful, and do their best to help anyone with special dietary or other needs (as the website suggests, best to ring beforehand).

Shall I come back? Yes... all being well, in early December, which is when I next plan to visit Bristol. I wonder if there will be quinces on the menu...?