“Not what it says on the tin...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Assilah Bistro

Assilah Bistro
Ranked #84 of 1,565 Restaurants in Bristol
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a family run authentic moroccan bistro on the wells road between totterdown and knowle. Established 14 years ago we operate on a B.Y.O basis allowing the customer to bring the tipple of their choice. We use traditional moroccan recipes from tagines to meshwi and relax in the moroccan bedouin seating or the more traditional bistro seating. We can cater for large groups and belly dancing can be arranged. So come and enjoy a taste of morocco in Bristol. AS WITH ALL TRADITIONAL MOROCCAN RECIPES TAGINES DO TAKE A WHILE TO COOK SO WE WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED FAST FOOD. We now offer breakfast and brunch on selected days
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not what it says on the tin...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I chose to eat here because of all the rave reviews but after going I'm not sure whether we all went to the same place really!? The interior is quite shabby and if I'm honest grubby in places. The staff were friendly but neither attentive nor efficient and the quality of the food was mediocre at best - more akin to something you might knock together yourself at home after a rough day at the office than eat at a top rated restaurant. Yes it's BYO and relatively inexpensive (although not as cheap as one would expect) but a top 20 restaurant it is not (I think it was ranked at 11th when we visited). I don’t usually bother writing reviews but in this instance I felt I had to say something. I can only infer that the other reviews are posted by devoted locals/regulars or friends of the owner as the reality on the ground is quite different from the mirage created on Trip Advisor. Good for an inexpensive bite to eat midweek when you can’t be bothered to cook but a top restaurant this is not.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank KartikA_13

“Give this one a miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Very slow service, cold and draughty restaurant. Very limited menu choices and very bland and mediocre food. Not exactly a taste of Morocco. Staff very friendly but not very attentive. Only dessert option is bought in, pre-packed baklava which was disgusting. Service was so slow that we were cold, tired and hungry by the time we came to leave. Won't be rushing back.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank BellatBuckland
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not just dinner........an experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

first time Ive been to this restaurant, quite a few of my friends have recommended it, but never quite got round to going. well it was worth the wait!!!! its an amazing family run place, its tidy and cosy with lovely Moroccan music playing and Moroccan theme throughout, my first impressions were 'wow'!! its like stepping into a slice of morocco! we were made to feel really welcome and were looked after well, even though it was fully booked! lovely atmosphere and very friendly staff. we had some out of this world olives (if anyone knows the recipe let me know) and we had some starters to share, we then had a lamb tajine and a meatballs dish i think was a cofta. amazing amazing amazing, never tasted food quite like this, if your looking for a fresh tasty home cooked meal, this is the place to go, you will not go home hungry. we had mint tea and some Moroccan pudding for afters which again was amazing, mint tea in lovely little Moroccan tea pots, the whole experience was amazing, i would recommend this place to anyone looking for an experience with there dinner, its the kinda place where you can sit and chill, its not somewhere to go for a quick dinner. its byo to and the food isn't over priced!! im going to book my birthday there as i have to show this place to my family! thanks assilah bistro for bringing morocco to Bristol!!!!

1 Thank Myza01
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lush”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have been going to Assilah for years. Love it. Cosy, relaxed, great food - sardines mmmmmm...
Took a friend for the 1st time last week and we had a great night - reminded me how lucky I am to be walking distance.

1 Thank Keri140
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Long cold wait, poor food, poorly tummy, too much wine!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Went to this venue a couple of weeks back. It's taken me that long to get over it! Booked at 7.30pm and served main at 10.15pm. By this time had drunk enough byo wine to not care! We were sat by the door on a freezing cold night, food was poor, staff lovely, but nothing really could make this experience anything but dire! Was sick when I got home and then had tummy cramps all the next day, Top restaurant? Not on my nelly!

5 Thank JH1_11