“Excellent Bistro”

Ranked #262 of 1,724 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, French, British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bistro restaurant at the Hotel Du Vin, Bristol is part of a Grade II listed warehouse building dating back to the 1700s. The traditional style seen in the appearance of the building is also reflected in the Bistro’s menu, although a contemporary edge is also given to array of European cuisine on offer, with simple classic dishes shifting seasonally and head chef Marcus Lang providing his own unique recipes each day. Opened in 1999, the Bistro restaurant welcomes diners seven days a week for lunches and dinners consisting of the finest in local produce (see the self explanatory yet carefully created Land, Sea and Local Menu). You might also enjoy sampling the restaurant’s bountiful and eclectic wine list.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

loved the Bistro. Great menu, great service and fabulous atmosphere. There is a small private dinning room also available which I have used before, if you are in a group, I would highly recommend this

3  Thank James4298

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in the hotel and our supper was part of the deal. On a dank late November Monday night the formula was uplifting, relaxing and wholly fun. The bar area is comfortable and was doing a steady trade, the dining room is casual, no suits (on our night), comfortable with many pictures and a bit of homely style. The staff were all friendly and efficient. The a la carte menu had a few classics some with a different take. There is a very extensive wine list with an ebullient sommelier but on the back of the menu was a simplified list which did us very well. I chose my food on the basis of heart warming seventies classics, onion soup, steak au poivre and crepes suzettes. Not adventurous but maybe the wine had already left us mellow and undemanding. The soup was very good, maybe the pot a little small and marginally too little of the hearty stock for the amount of onion. The fillet steak was perfect although it had to be returned briefly to the kitchen because the centre was cool. The crepes were good although it took a few moments for the flambé spirit to soak through and lighten the texture. We had a good time. The restaurant was busy and the ambience entirely convivial. As it said in the room information pack, this is a bistro, there is no dress code, it is intended, evidently, for enjoyable unpretentious eating and drinking.

3  Thank Jannerbloke
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I visited Hotel Du Vin for dinner on a Monday night. The welcome was very friendly and we were seated quickly.

I had the French Onion Soup for starter, Choucroute du Vin for main and Apple Tarte Tartin for dessert. Soup and dessert were excellent but I personally didn't like the mains. There wasn't a lot of pork belly rather a little bit of pork belly, a small bratwurst and a little bit of pancetta with some potatoes and (I think) cabbage. Well cooked but I wouldn't get the mains again, especially for £15.

My wife had Autumn salad for starter (lovely), Mushroom stroganoff for main (a bit average) and cheese board for dessert (quite nice). Again the mains wasn't great but the rest was fantastic. Overall there were very few vegetarian options on the menu (my wife eats cheese, eggs etc but not meat)

The atmosphere was really nice, although I found it a little hot at times, probably just me though.

Service was really good throughout the whole night. We were made to wait a bit at the end of the meal before our bill arrived (15-20 mins), but otherwise great service.

It was a little pricey - £85 for 2 starters, 2 mains + 1 side, 2 desserts, 2 glasses of wine, 1 bottle sparkling water. But there was a set menu which looked like better value, and we would have gone for had there been better veggie options.

3  Thank wheronui
Reviewed November 17, 2012

i visited the one in Harrogate. Very smart hotel and the food was excellent. I didn't stay on that occasion but did stay there six years ago.

3  Thank Jean G
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Expensive but oh so worth it.
Start with cocktails! End on the leather sofa's in the bar.

Just a wonderful experience everytime

4  Thank paminthecountry