“evening meal”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
bristol
“evening meal”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Whilst the interior is very nice we were disappointed with the menu. Arriving on a Saturday the table was booked for 8pm all the specials had gone. Out of the 7 choices on the menu the Hake had ran out and Skate was in favour. The remaining options were ham, egg and chips, an unknown fish and chips, stew and mash, burger and chips, risotto and 1 veg other. For the prices you pay I would expect a better choice and maybe a bit different to the normal. And it would be nice to be served at the table and no staff goodbyes when we left. Maybe a uniform would be smarter.

• Visited November 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Love eating here. Now child friendly, staff are excellent and there is a great atmosphere. From live music at wknds to the weekly quiz night. A must visit local. Sunday lunch is 10/10

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent pub...”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Surprised by some reviews on here. The chef is excellent and his team butcher all there own meat, to call this basic is bIzarre, not sure I know many pubs serving a more ambitious menu... Had bath chaps the other day, which were fantastic. Do great kids meals, homemade fish fingers etc and great safe garden for them out the back. Overall, majority of the time they get it very right, and I for one am very happy to have such a great friendly pub so close!

• Visited September 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Much improved”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We have eaten here a lot, in the bad old days the service was awful, but it is much improved. Lunch is good value, I love the fish finger sandwich and the roasts have good sized portions and lovely gravy. I can also recommend the burger and the ham, egg and chips. I am happy and relaxed here with my kids in the enclosed back garden, they also enjoy the toys inside. The kids' pizza gets demolished every time. Nice place for a drink in the evening too, unpretentious.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“TOO busy to cope!!!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Firstly let me say how attractive the building is and what a lovely atmosphere the place has at all times......thats the positives out of the way!
The first time me and my partner ate at the Cross hands we were extremely impressed with the sunday lunce. Although rather pricey in comparison to others in the area, the meat was beautifully cooked, you were given plenty of veg and the option of purchasing caulliflower cheese as an extra. Because we had such a nice meal we decided to go again a couple of weeks later....this time the manager was not around and a male was running things. It soon became apparent that they did not have enough qualified staff on shift to deal with the vast amount of orders they were taking (the barmaid/waitress who we spoke to had never done a shift before!!!). We ordered 2 meals and extra caulliflower cheese. After 45minutes I went up to the bar to ask whether our food would be arriving soon and i was told "I will look into it" by a young lad....10 minutes later I had heard nothing so asked the new waitress...she said "I will go and find out for you"......a further ten minutes passed before our food came out...cold!!!! and with no caulliflower cheese as we had paid an extra £3.50 for!! When I queried this I was told "oh sorry we've run out". The couple sat next to us had been given caulliflower cheese that they hadnt ordered or paid for though apparantely!!
I complained to the guy in charge and he just said "oh sorry...i'll give you your money back"...so we left hungry and unable to get food elsewhere as it was so late!
When friends asked us if we would like to go out for sunday lunch last week we decided that the awful episode previously was due to the manager being absent and that we should give it another go.....we called at 12.30 and asked if we could come in at 2.30 for lunch and were told this would be fine. So we walked to the cross hands as it was a nice day, ordered a drink and sat OBVIOUSLY looking at the menu. When my patner went to order food he was told they had sold out of all sunday lunch.....we explained that we had called in advance and he said "yeah that was me you spoke to" smirking???!!!!
NEVER go back again......overpriced......awful service

• Visited June 2012