“Quirky views at the Cafe”

The Bridge Cafe @ The Avon Gorge Hotel
Ranked #622 of 1,735 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Fabulous afternoon tea with amazing views. Floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Clifton Bridge. REasonably priced afternoon tea. Can sit outside on the terrace weather permitting.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Despite the lovely view I was shocked how awful the service here is and how the prices do not reflect the quality of the place. We sat down and then had to queue three times for separate things (you can't order a tea in the same place as food and ice-cream somewhere else!!). They wouldn't bring our tea to the table so one of our party had to do our own waiting at table. The wait for the food which was only tea and scones was ridiculous.

Apart from that, the floor of the terrace was filthy with broken glass, dog ends and obviously not regularly or adequately cleaned.

The view is gorgeous but unless they improve the service and cleanliness I would never go back and I will tell my friends the same.

Awful!!!

2  Thank Chandramoon
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Great view of the suspension bridge. Very large outside area. Staff friendly. Very popular. Would use again.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Other half and I ate there yesterday. Food was nice and great view of the suspension bridge. Service took a long time even though the cafe was practically empty (though waiters very pleasant). We weren't in a hurry so not an issue for us but guess it could be for some. Overall a nice experience.

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

I never leave reviews but the "customer service" at The Bridge Cafe is beyond ridiculous.

We were visiting Bristol last weekend and sat out on the balcony here hoping to enjoy some sunshine and afternoon tea.

After taking our order, 35 minutes passed before the waiter told us there was a mix up in the kitchen and one of our choices wasn't available. It was a bit off that it had taken them this long to let us know this, but the best was yet to come..

Anyway, the afternoon tea eventually arrived, and was followed by a slightly embarrassed waiter asking if there was anything else he could get us.. To which the answer was "the tea".

A short time later, the same waiter stopped at the table behind us and said to the couple eating (and I quote) "there has been a mix up with your order and we appear to have given you too much food, so I'm going to have to take some back", at which point he reached over and took 2 scones (with his bare hands) and walked off.

I don't think there was a person in the restaurant who didn't turn around in shock and amazement at the complete rudeness, and let's face it, complete idiocy of the waiter.

Essentially, the remainder of our weekend was spent telling this story as a joke to everyone we came across.

As an aside, let me just say the restaurant is beautiful and the food was gorgeous. It's just a shame that these details were just an add on!!