“Inspirational Indian food”

Thali Cafe Montpelier
Ranked #550 of 1,577 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Famous for Thalis but you'll find classic Indian snacks, coffee and cakes on the menu too. Quirky decor, great atmosphere, free Wifi, kids welcome. Award-winning Tiffin Takeaway scheme. Equally suited for groups, families or for a romantic dinner. Contact us about hiring the whole back room for your party or celebration.This is the original Thali Cafe, located in the hub of Montpelier, it is one of four Thali Cafes in Bristol. We avoid mainstream locations in favour of areas with a strong sense of community where we can foster relationships with local people and businesses.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Inspirational Indian food”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My partner and I had lunch today. We were expecting to go to Teoh's not realising Thali had taken over the premises earlier in the year. Loving Teoh's food I hoped that we wouldn't be disappointed here. Far from it! The staff were attentive and friendly, the new decor a tribute to Bollywood and cool and laid back shabby chic and the good was wonderful. We had popadoms with delicious dips; home made and better than the usual Indian offerings and the curried chucked and Goan fish dishes were authentic and divine served with rice and a really crunchy and healthy salad. Prices are really good too at £24 for 2 starters, 2 mains with a side dish. Nice to have water brought to the table too. Highly recommended

• Visited November 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Hmmm, stick with Clifton”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Booked what i thought would be a nice evening out of two recently, have been to Cafe Thali in Clifton so thought i would try Montpellier for a change - never again. booked a table for two, arrived plenty of time so when we arrived and saw a lovely spare table for two thought looks good, forget it not our table, we were shown through to a back room that was so drap and nothing like the front part, very bright and no atmosphere, then to our horror we were shown our table, well going out as a couple you would like to look across the table at each other to chat and enjoy no chance one chair looked at the wall and the other 90 degrees from that facing a thick pillar. we complained that we were not happy with the table and the lovely rude man behind the counter said well i will pull the table away form the wall and sit you the other way. no way a fat chance we will be going there again. look else where, try Cafe Thali Clifton fantastic atmosphere through out.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank James B
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Not up to its usual standard”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Had take away tiffins last night and was really disappointed. My son had the Bombay fish and chips - he had 2 tiny pieces - a lot less than you get in the restaurant. We ordered 2 extra chicken pots and we only received one which was half full, we ordered 6 poppadums and only received 4, we ordered 2 snack boxes and only received 1!
A real shame, as although we phoned and they were very apologetic - we had to return to the restaurant to collect the missing bits (so we had enough for everyone to eat), and that meant one of our party had luke warm food. Dealt with very well and we have been offered a free tiffin next time we visit - but need to do better Thali Cafe!

Visited October 2013
“Four to choose from”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is the original Thali café. Food great and authentic. Atmosphere is truly Montpelier. It is even better now they have opened up the back to give more room as it was difficult sometimes to get in. Much better than the "english" Indian restaurants on the Gloucester Rd. But whatever floats yer boat! No outdoor seating.

Prices are reasonable, service friendly and if you don;t want to eat in buy a Tiffin tin and take one away. Open from lunch time Saturdays and Sundays, otherwise open in the evening

• Visited October 2013
“authentically wonderful!!!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Had the Fish curry and my goodness me, it took me straight back to my time in India. WOW the food is truly amazing and the atmosphere is just wonderful!! My house mates told me I would love it an practically live there once I'd tried the food and they are right. I cant wait for family and friends to visit so I have an excuse to go back. Best Indian food I've had in England.

• Visited September 2013