“Not great”

Bordeaux Quay
Ranked #592 of 1,651 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Bristol's Picturesque Harbourside, Bordeaux Quay is an award-winning venue with a reputation for great food and service, stylish décor and a stunning waterside location in Bristol's city centre.A restaurant, deli, brasserie, wine bar, bakery and cookery school under one roof.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a ploughmans lunch. Didnt look very appetising on arrival. Best bit was the delicious bread. I wouldn't go there again. The toilets were pretty dirty, as was part of the restaurant.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stopped off for a late lunch here whilst the Harbourside Festival was in full swing on Sunday afternoon... which gave great ambience to the whole experience.

We were served by a helpful, smiley waitress - Hatty. We had some delicious bread & olive oil as a 'starter', followed by fresh, tasty local fish & chips with mushed, minted peas. Absolutely delicious & served very swiftly.

My only gripe is the corridor to the loos... smelt a bit, um, stale.

Pretty good overall, given that there were so many people about that day.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

A nice warm Saturday lunchtime. Staff welcoming and soon got us an outside table. Good location but pricey. Fish and chips at £13. When the bill arrived they had kindly added a 12.5% service charge (optional). This we found an unacceptable practice no doubt picked up from London, so we ignored it. I normally add 10% but to have it done automatically I find objectionable, I wonder how many people don't notice and add a further 10%!!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Decided to treat myself to lunch on a day out at the Harbourside and opted for Bordeaux Quay as it wasn't a chain restaurant and boasted fresh, local produce.
Menu downstairs was light, just what I was looking for. After being seated outside it took over 5minutes to get the waiters attention to order a drink, by this time I'd decided on my food too and ordered everything at once. The staff seemed in no hurry whatsoever and just plodded along at their own pace despite it being a busy, sunny day.
Order wild boar salami and cheese (4.50) to nibble on whilst waiting for my main. The salami was decidedly ordinary and lacking in flavour. Presentation was abysmal. Main course was courgette flower stuffed with ricotta (11.50). It arrived in a big bowl plate, my one courgette flower on a bed of salad leaves with green beans and radish. It seemed they tried to make up for the small size of the main ingredient with a humongous amount of salad leaves. The leaves were fresh but dry and undressed, I had to ask for vinaigrette which seemed to perplex the waiter. An extra courgette flower and less salad would have made this main worth the price but as it was I thought 11.50 was overpriced for the small portion I received. Presentation again was non existent.
Once my main had been cleared I was just left to my own devices. Left, left and left some more. I wasn't offered a dessert menu and after 10 minutes a different waiter came over and asked if I wanted anything else. My appetite for dessert had disappeared in the frustrating wait so I asked for a coffee and the bill. The coffee arrived with it spilt in the saucer but no attempt was made to clear it up or offer me a napkin to do it myself. Service was poor throughout the meal, lacked any personality or attention to detail, they all just seemed to be going through the motions, clueless to what good service means. I was shocked when the bill arrived to see they had added a discretionary service charge of 12.5%. I don't mind paying service when it is deserved, but this just made me angry. If you are going to add service is has to be warranted and earned. I left cash (minus the service) which nobody was inclined to collect from me and ended up handing it to a waiter on my way out, no thank you, no goodbye.
All in all it was a disappointing experience all round. Mediocre food, poor portions and presentation and dismall service. Won't be recommending to my friends.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have in the past done several cookery schools at Bordeaux quay and am a great fan of their bread, so when a friend said he had chosen Bordeaux quay for his birthday meal I was very happy! When we first arrived, there was some confusion over our table and then the waitress wandered off part way through our drinks order – I asked her to leave me to last as I was still choosing and she just disappeared once she’d taken everyone else’s order!

The starters were on the whole good and everyone seemed happy, although the service was a bit abrupt and sloppy – plates passed to people in mid-air or smacked down in front of them. However, the mains were very mixed – I had catch of the day en Papillon which was fine. Everything was cooked well, it was as described but it was pretty dull and the sort of thing I used to knock up when I couldn’t really be bothered to cook. I was expecting a little more from it and would have liked the bulgur wheat to have something in to make it a bit more exciting, but like I say it was fine and I ate it. The fish and chips went down well, although the chips tasted like the oil needed changing which you don’t expect in a restaurant, the moule et frite – the moules tasted a bit odd in an unpleasant way and were served with chips not frite… the dressed crab was small, no salad and a bit of bread which wasn’t great for a main but the piece de la résistance was the birthday boy’s ploughmans! He was expecting a good hearty ploughmans but instead got an empty plate of disappointment! They brought him a plate with half a scotch egg on it, a tiny bit of cheese (about the size of 3 after eight mints stacked) and a couple of other bits and pieces. He asked them if it came with bread so they brought him a couple of slices of bread and he then asked if it came with salad and they brought him a small bowl of dressed leaves… but it looked like they were just bringing bits out to keep him happy rather than it being a meal. He then asked to see the manager who agreed with him that it was a joke for a main and swapped it for fish and chips but obviously this ruined the whole meal completely.

Although the service wasn’t great and the food very hit and miss, the manager was very deft at dealing with it all and the wine was very good, but overall I regret to say I would steer clear and I certainly won’t be going back nor will any of our party. A real shame for somewhere that should deliver quality food.