“fantastic, tasty breakfast”
Review of Bordeaux Quay - CLOSED

Bordeaux Quay
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Bristol's Picturesque Harbourside, Bordeaux Quay is an award-winning venue with a reputation for great food and service, stylish décor and a stunning waterside location in Bristol's city centre.A restaurant, deli, brasserie, wine bar, bakery and cookery school under one roof.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very tasty and well presented breakfast. Fast service, nice, friendly staff in a lovely position along the quay. Will definately return. I will return when the weather is better so i can sit outside. Very clean.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I started with the salt pollock brandade which was completely tasteless, if I hadn't known better I would have assumed it was quenelles of cold mashed potato as it had exactly that flavour and texture. The Porchetta was over cooked and the sauce over reduced, it could really have benefited from some potato or similar but it only came with the cavolo nero, The best thing was the lemon polenta cake for dessert with a lovely lemony flavour, the only problem with this was that the slices were completely random in size leaving some people with a slice half the size of what other people got. The service was ok but very slow.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Last time I ate at Bordeaux Quay I came out hungry, this time I feel stuffed! Portions have got bigger, or maybe because it was a Deal Cloud and we had 4 courses, it was just too much! I like their fresh food and happy meat policy and the waiters were attentive and friendly at the beginning of the evening. All the food was good to look at, and had plenty of taste. My steak was tender but could have done with some garnish... a mushroom would have added a lot! I asked for horseradish sauce but it never came. Frangipan tart was good but the chocolate mousse was huge and nobody could finish it! At the end of the evening, the staff lost interest in us and we had to go and find someone to ask for coffee and then again for the bill. Lovely evening with old friends but I wont rush back.

1  Thank deejaygasworks
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked a table for Sunday lunch in the restaurant, having been attracted by the menu displayed outside. When we arrived at 12.15 we were the first people there. It's a huge barn of a place with concrete pillars and a concrete ceiling reminiscent of a multi-story car park and I found myself wishing we'd booked downstairs which had a lot more atmosphere. In it's favour there were good views of the harbour and we could watch the boats coming and going. The waitress assured us that there were other diners expected and that there was "live music". Unfortunately the live piano music would have been more suitable for a funeral service, so dolorous was it.

We were told that cocktails were off since they were short staffed and had no bar tender that lunchtime. Within a few minutes a pleasant young waiter offered us a good selection of breads (the wholewheat sourdough was particularly good), and we ordered a carafe of white wine and a bottle of red to go with the main course. The white wine we ordered was the house wine, Verdiccio Classico from Italy which was very unremarkable despite the price of £4.75 per glass, £12.75 per 500ml carafe and £18 per bottle. The red wine we chose, a South African Koopmanskloof Malbec @ £23 per bottle was disappointingly thin and uninteresting.

My husband chose the crab tartlet which was actually very nice but would have benefited from some kind of sauce. I was majorly disappointed by the blue cheese souffle which had sunk right to the bottom of the ramekin, classic failed souffle!! The caramellised walnuts in the salad were the best bit of my starter.

By this time the restaurant had filled up, mostly with fairly large family groups and the atmosphere had become more lively - but the service had become exponentially slower. There only appeared to be 2 waiting staff on duty.

We had both ordered the roast beef and asked for it rare. The menu stated that "with meat dishes roast potatoes are served on the side and gravy comes in a jug at the side" - well wrong! The plates as presented to us had gravy on them, potatoes soaking in it and the meat placed on top of the potatoes. The meat was well done and very dry looking, I guess it had been sitting under the heating lights waiting to be served. We sent it back, the waitress started to protest but when we pointed out that we had ordered our beef rare she capitulated with good grace and returned the plates to the kitchen. Eventually we received some very nice rare beef which was good, but by this time the potatoes were soggy, the vegetables were cold and the roast carrots and parsnips were very definitely overdone, wizened as well as being soggy

We didn't bother with coffee or dessert, it simply wasn't worth it! The total bill of £77.34 included a service charge of 12.5% - not good value for the sort of Sunday lunch which many pubs serve up for half the price and twice the quality.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I had an excellent breakfast with high quality food at the Bordeaux Quay and staff was very friendly as well. However, the price I've paid reminded me more of Switzerland than England...