“Bigger portions than I thought!”
Review of Bordeaux Quay

Bordeaux Quay
Ranked #659 of 1,677 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on Bristol's Picturesque Harbourside, Bordeaux Quay is an award-winning venue with a reputation for great food and service, stylish décor and a stunning waterside location in Bristol's city centre.A restaurant, deli, brasserie, wine bar, bakery and cookery school under one roof.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Last time I ate at Bordeaux Quay I came out hungry, this time I feel stuffed! Portions have got bigger, or maybe because it was a Deal Cloud and we had 4 courses, it was just too much! I like their fresh food and happy meat policy and the waiters were attentive and friendly at the beginning of the evening. All the food was good to look at, and had plenty of taste. My steak was tender but could have done with some garnish... a mushroom would have added a lot! I asked for horseradish sauce but it never came. Frangipan tart was good but the chocolate mousse was huge and nobody could finish it! At the end of the evening, the staff lost interest in us and we had to go and find someone to ask for coffee and then again for the bill. Lovely evening with old friends but I wont rush back.

1  Thank deejaygasworks

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked a table for Sunday lunch in the restaurant, having been attracted by the menu displayed outside. When we arrived at 12.15 we were the first people there. It's a huge barn of a place with concrete pillars and a concrete ceiling reminiscent of a multi-story car park and I found myself wishing we'd booked downstairs which had a lot more atmosphere. In it's favour there were good views of the harbour and we could watch the boats coming and going. The waitress assured us that there were other diners expected and that there was "live music". Unfortunately the live piano music would have been more suitable for a funeral service, so dolorous was it.

We were told that cocktails were off since they were short staffed and had no bar tender that lunchtime. Within a few minutes a pleasant young waiter offered us a good selection of breads (the wholewheat sourdough was particularly good), and we ordered a carafe of white wine and a bottle of red to go with the main course. The white wine we ordered was the house wine, Verdiccio Classico from Italy which was very unremarkable despite the price of £4.75 per glass, £12.75 per 500ml carafe and £18 per bottle. The red wine we chose, a South African Koopmanskloof Malbec @ £23 per bottle was disappointingly thin and uninteresting.

My husband chose the crab tartlet which was actually very nice but would have benefited from some kind of sauce. I was majorly disappointed by the blue cheese souffle which had sunk right to the bottom of the ramekin, classic failed souffle!! The caramellised walnuts in the salad were the best bit of my starter.

By this time the restaurant had filled up, mostly with fairly large family groups and the atmosphere had become more lively - but the service had become exponentially slower. There only appeared to be 2 waiting staff on duty.

We had both ordered the roast beef and asked for it rare. The menu stated that "with meat dishes roast potatoes are served on the side and gravy comes in a jug at the side" - well wrong! The plates as presented to us had gravy on them, potatoes soaking in it and the meat placed on top of the potatoes. The meat was well done and very dry looking, I guess it had been sitting under the heating lights waiting to be served. We sent it back, the waitress started to protest but when we pointed out that we had ordered our beef rare she capitulated with good grace and returned the plates to the kitchen. Eventually we received some very nice rare beef which was good, but by this time the potatoes were soggy, the vegetables were cold and the roast carrots and parsnips were very definitely overdone, wizened as well as being soggy

We didn't bother with coffee or dessert, it simply wasn't worth it! The total bill of £77.34 included a service charge of 12.5% - not good value for the sort of Sunday lunch which many pubs serve up for half the price and twice the quality.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I had an excellent breakfast with high quality food at the Bordeaux Quay and staff was very friendly as well. However, the price I've paid reminded me more of Switzerland than England...

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The service here is second to none. Every little detail is covered. Cocktails are fab. The food is modern but has all the taste and flavours you'd expect from a top class restaurant. Although the food is 'fancy' it good postion sizes and you wont leave here feeling hungry - highly recommended.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

we had wanted to go to the restaurant at the bordeaux quay, but it was fully booked. a little deflated we took a table instead in the bistro where the modern warehouse deco and informal atmosphere at first were not what we'd been hoping for - but we were won over quite quickly.

it's a warm, relaxed place, with good efficient service. the pino grigio we ordered was excellent quality and well chilled.

unusually we both had the same - normally we have different dishes but for once both fancied the sound of the same starters and mains.

we had baked goats cheese with salad to start which was superb, the cheese not too strong but creamy/sour and delicate at the same time. the salad was also delicately made with a great fruity dressing that balanced the sour tang of the cheese well.

we then had two delightful haddock risottos, creamy and full of lovely flavours of fish, peppers and vegetables. my husband doesn't usually order risotto, but he was well impressed with this one and not a morsel was left.

i was too full for a dessert, but my husband tried the chocolate torte which was very deep and rich. he often complains that you get a slab of dessert even in good restaurants which is way too much after a meal and often disappoints but he had no complaint about this one.
to keep him company as he scoffed this, i had a capucchino of really good quality.

the bill came and though just a shade dearer than some it was well worth it. one small negative is we found 12.5% had been added for service. we know a lot of people don't like to think about a tip & prefer an automatic deduction, but we always like to leave our own and, if happy, we leave 15% or more, so the staff missed out because of this!

as the night was cold outside, we were reluctant to leave this haven, but we tore ourselves away. we would go back again any time and also try the restaurant to see how it compares.